Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Trinity 38 Male 34

Featured Replies

SportsMom1020, TigerDude13,

 

I think you both hit the nail on the head with your posts. First, Trinity was better prepared coming into the game. Apart from the fumble that interupted their first drive, they were razor sharp on both sides of the ball. Maybe some of that was the difficulty of getting up for two big games in two weeks. The 20-7 halftime lead turned out to be insurmountable (even though Male made a ferocious comeback, they were unable to close the deal). I believe Male was the more talented team, but the schemes chosen did not put them in position to make plays in too many instances. Trinity scored easily several times not because of better athleticism, but because of play selection that exploited Male's weaknesses brilliantly.

 

Not playing 2 safeties when they were up by 11 with 5 minutes to go killed Male. Whenever Male had the two deep men, Trinity pretty consistently took the short gain (5-10 yard pickup by Phillips). Make them do this all the way down the field and see if they can get 2 scores in 5 minutes. Instead, they scored in 3 plays and probably took only about 30 seconds off the clock. I thought that after 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2005 it would have sunk in that certain game situations demand at least one deep safety on every play.

 

I also agree that the final play should have given the ball to either Beaumont or Hobbs. I would have liked to see a direct snap to one of them in that 2-back formation on either side of Gainey, with the QB and the other back faking a "mishandled exchange". Given the game situation, I just think the ball should have been in Beaumont's or Hobbs' hands.

 

Give all the credit to Trinity' players and coaches. They made every play they had to to win the game (even after Weitlauf went out). I think they have the best coaching staff in the state.

  • Replies 108
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TheDuece, Give me your email and I will send you the PowerT...

Just a couple of comments:

 

1. The best team always wins the game they are playing in. We have a precise measure for this. It is called the "SCORE".

 

2. The best team always wins the division they are playing in. We have a precise measure for this. It is called the "STATE CHAMPIONSHIP".

 

good LUCK rocks...................OUCH that hurts.:cry:

I think this thread needs to go into the classics for being one of the positive threads I have ever read regarding one of /if not the biggest game of the year.

Congratulations ROCKS!

 

Now it’s time to “finish strong”.

SportsMom1020, TigerDude13,

 

I think you both hit the nail on the head with your posts. First, Trinity was better prepared coming into the game. Apart from the fumble that interupted their first drive, they were razor sharp on both sides of the ball. Maybe some of that was the difficulty of getting up for two big games in two weeks. The 20-7 halftime lead turned out to be insurmountable (even though Male made a ferocious comeback, they were unable to close the deal). I believe Male was the more talented team, but the schemes chosen did not put them in position to make plays in too many instances. Trinity scored easily several times not because of better athleticism, but because of play selection that exploited Male's weaknesses brilliantly.

 

Not playing 2 safeties when they were up by 11 with 5 minutes to go killed Male. Whenever Male had the two deep men, Trinity pretty consistently took the short gain (5-10 yard pickup by Phillips). Make them do this all the way down the field and see if they can get 2 scores in 5 minutes. Instead, they scored in 3 plays and probably took only about 30 seconds off the clock. I thought that after 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2005 it would have sunk in that certain game situations demand at least one deep safety on every play.

 

I also agree that the final play should have given the ball to either Beaumont or Hobbs. I would have liked to see a direct snap to one of them in that 2-back formation on either side of Gainey, with the QB and the other back faking a "mishandled exchange". Given the game situation, I just think the ball should have been in Beaumont's or Hobbs' hands.

 

Give all the credit to Trinity' players and coaches. They made every play they had to to win the game (even after Weitlauf went out). I think they have the best coaching staff in the state.

 

Great post H...I was talking with GT about how Male likely did have a lot of better athletes, etc...but that I thought we are setup to beat a Male defense. Bob really needs to look at adjusting that defense to his opponent's strengths, it may work against lesser teams, but if he played Cover-2 on Friday, they might've won.

I admit I was wrong about the outcome of the game I thought Male would walk away with this one. They both played as expected.

I admit I was wrong about the outcome of the game I thought Male would walk away with this one. They both played as expected.

I gotta admit I was wrong too. My August prediction of a 10 point Male win looked good with 6 minutes left but Trinity wouldn't let it happen. Kyle Flynn and Petrino just were not to be denied. They both won multiple Toy Bowls and now look to go multiple state championships. FYI- Kyle Flynn once scored over 28 TD's in the 4th grade flag league( 8 games ) and made Male's defense look like he was back on a flag field again.

 

With all of the hoopla over what defense and adjustments that Male didn't do, I think the biggest task they didn't do was make the extra point after the 5th touchdown. IF they make the extra point, T kicks the extra point after their TD to make it 35-30 and then kicks the extra point to go up 37-35. Maybe they go for 2 to make it 38-35. Still, Male has a chance to kick to tie or win at the end of the game. No guarantee that he makes it but from the 2 yard line makes it a 19 yard kick to win or tie.

^ Flynn was the man in the 4th grade scoring all those TD's! (Of course he had awesome blocking from the center on that team) His coach knew who to give the ball to.... Bobby R. could have learned something! Who was that brilliant coach anyway Jimmyref?

JimmyRef,

How about not kicking the FG at the end of the first half. Male could have scored last. Then came out in the second half with even more Mo than they did. Not to mention if successful it would have allowed Male to kick a game winning FG at the end. Meanwhile, Coach Beatty kicked a fan-disappointing FG early in the 3rd after having it first and goal from inside the 5. The emotional choice would have been to go for it. I'm glad our coach made the correct if unpopular decision.

JimmyRef,

How about not kicking the FG at the end of the first half. Male could have scored last. Then came out in the second half with even more Mo than they did. Not to mention if successful it would have allowed Male to kick a game winning FG at the end. Meanwhile, Coach Beatty kicked a fan-disappointing FG early in the 3rd after having it first and goal from inside the 5. The emotional choice would have been to go for it. I'm glad our coach made the correct if unpopular decision.

 

Its pretty easy to second guess decisions like going for 7 instead of 3 when they occur early in a game. It's impossible to know how the 2nd half would play out, so I don't fault Redman for not kicking the FG in the 1st half. If Male had scored a TD then and ended up winning by 3, he would be a genius. His confidence in his offense was obviously well-founded--they did score 27 points in the second half. If there's anything to question about H coaching, it would be the failure to drop more players into coverage once they were up 11 late and the playcalling that did not give the ball to Beaumont on those last two plays.

What will Male look like next year? Any skill players back? Those were the biggest offensive and defensive lines I can recall Male ever fielding. Any of those guys back?

Is it just me or is this the stupidest, not sure that's a word..... Okay, most stupid thing you have ever seen. Can you believe this? How does this happen? How does the team that beat the #1 team get ranked #3?

 

This is proof positive that the Pollsters don't know what their talking about.....Oh! Wait a minute.....St. X is #2; maybe they do know what their talking about. :lol:

 

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200661120034

Rock85,

 

I think Bobby knew that this was his real shot for the near future, the cupboard is not completely bare, but they have some serious holes to fill, I look for a 2-3 year rebuild session at High School

Its pretty easy to second guess decisions like going for 7 instead of 3 when they occur early in a game. It's impossible to know how the 2nd half would play out, so I don't fault Redman for not kicking the FG in the 1st half. If Male had scored a TD then and ended up winning by 3, he would be a genius. His confidence in his offense was obviously well-founded--they did score 27 points in the second half. If there's anything to question about H coaching, it would be the failure to drop more players into coverage once they were up 11 late and the playcalling that did not give the ball to Beaumont on those last two plays.

Not a second guess, I remarked about it when it happened. A number of folks in our area of the stands (including a few St.X fans) agreed that they would have kicked the FG. I think Coach Redman was trying to start some momentum and got a little greedy. I think 20-10 feels a lot better at half. JMO.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.