Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Trinity 38 Male 34

Featured Replies

What ever happened to settling this debate on the field? This is the second year in a row that we've had to hear this "best team didn't win" comment. That must be the talking point of the district in western Louisville. How about the old saying that goes... "to be the best, you have to beat the best".

Great point.

 

Did you hear Red say they finished the year 11-0?;) I guess some talking points didn't get disseminated fully.

  • Replies 108
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is it about Trinity that they continue to win when they consistently are not the "best team"? What are the criteria for judging which is the better team? I daresay most people who say T is not the better team use subjective rather than objective criteria, and may have an undisclosed or subconscious bias.

 

But then again, maybe T's coaching staff has something to do with it, maybe it's the field conditions. I know - it's got to be because a certain Cajun Trinity fan from the bayou casts a voodoo spell on their opponents with dolls and needles.

Once again, you've hit the nail on the head. I think I'm going to start using the "best team didn't win" line in basketball.

We lost to a great team, I'll give them credit. Maybe time just ran out? What down was it on the last play? I haven't seen the replay so I don't know. I do know football and I know kids. I not going to say the "best team didn't win" thats not fair to the Rocks. They made the plays when it most counted...example...Christian Latener (sp) against the Cats, Kirk Gibson, NC State center, New Englands field goal kicker, man y'all get to what I mean. Sure the clock ran out on us and thats Sports.

Sports are also about people and relationships that will last a lifetime. And thats more important. And for my family being around the Male staff, players, Parents, and others its been a great experince for us. Seeing my wife leaving me with no supper..."I got to get to the Parents meeting", seeing my son who never played football until the 9th grade and dressing varsity in the 10th. Jeepman said our coach "has no class". Man you are so wrong and you just don't know how wrong you were. Seeing Douglas being the last player off the field and watching as two young fans approach him and ask to speak to him and thanking him was something I'll never forget. He stopped and gave them stickers off his helmet as he cried.

When we beat X and reading comments about a fathers story about his son, I tried to help with some words knowing I've been there before and will be there again some day. Not everyone can win and thats life. But seeing this group win the toughest region after beating X, Manual, PRP, X, and playing the Rocks...well think about that for a moment. Did anyone see our QB after the game? The young man walked the lenth of the field and doubled back to greet every Rock Player as his Dad carried his helmet and his team met with Coach Redmon. We stayed around so I could thank these young guys for letting us be apart of something special. Special men with special parents, Thank you for putting up with this Alabama (6-6) nut.

Thanks to BGP for this wonderful idea and for many of you who will understand this long post. I don't like to read long ones and certainly post like this one, but I know y'all will understand. "I know I have a Heart...because it was breaking as I was walking with the players". Have fun Rocks enjoy it and Good Luck. Honey...How did I do? Matthew 19:14

I clicked the return button several times^^^. It looked better before I hit the Submit button.

I hear you, Larry. Your post looks fine to me. You have a son & his teammates that you should be very proud of, you obviously are. They put together a great run but that is only part of the story.

 

==

But I can't let this "best team" nonsense go.

 

Once again, you've hit the nail on the head. I think I'm going to start using the "best team didn't win" line in basketball.

 

Yeah, that "best team" comment slays me as well :lol: If that's the case, then Beatty must just be the coach of the year the last couple of years in 4A if he can miraculously keep winning playoff games with something other than the best team every year...right? If you're going to say that T doesn't have the best team, then you have to give the guy his due :devil:

 

I'm having a lot of fun rooting for the 16-time state champion "underdogs." :lol: Just respect your opponents & keep playing like you have something to prove, boys.

It was another in a string of great games. Both teams showed great strength of character. It will be a great one to remember and savor.

The best team did win Friday night; the team with the most naturally gifted and talented athletes didn't. There's a subtle but distinct difference.

 

Both last year and this year, Trinity has found ways to win against teams that were supposedly far better. That, I think, proves how phenomenal the team dynamic over in St. Matthews really is.

The best team did win Friday night; the team with the most naturally gifted and talented athletes didn't. There's a subtle but distinct difference.

 

Both last year and this year, Trinity has found ways to win against teams that were supposedly far better. That, I think, proves how phenomenal the team dynamic over in St. Matthews really is.

 

 

good point;)

The best team did win Friday night; the team with the most naturally gifted and talented athletes didn't. There's a subtle but distinct difference.

 

Both last year and this year, Trinity has found ways to win against teams that were supposedly far better. That, I think, proves how phenomenal the team dynamic over in St. Matthews really is.

:thumb:

"Pride, loyalty, discipline, achievement"........these kids are being taught these basic foundations of life well at Trinity and it obviously carries over on the football field.

 

Yes I am impressed by the boys from St. Matthews, but I still hope Henry Clay can beat the Shamrocks on Friday. They are a most formidable opponent.

Great Pictures above from the GURU.

Congratulations Rocks !!!!!!!!!!! Another classic game against Male. It is a shame that #1. Somebody had to lose, and #2 This was not for the state title. That Male team was as good as any I have seen, (Bush included). We are already planning the "road trip". Nothing like Rock football on Thanksgiving weekend.

 

GO ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best team did win Friday night; the team with the most naturally gifted and talented athletes didn't. There's a subtle but distinct difference.

 

Both last year and this year, Trinity has found ways to win against teams that were supposedly far better. That, I think, proves how phenomenal the team dynamic over in St. Matthews really is.

 

I think you got it right. Unfortunately for H they fell victim to the achilles heel that has plagued them for the past three years. There is a reason you do not see any other team in the nation run this defensive scheme...IT DOESN'T WORK! This system can be used against the lower level teams of the state who do not have a vertical attack, but when you run into teams with the ability to spread you out, it is a free for all. Bob Redman is an offensive pioneer in the kentucky football ranks. His style has helped to exhibit the talents of many great players. His lack of ability to adjust is what ends Male's season each year.

 

As to the 'best team' comment. The most talented team lost, the most prepared team won.

Wow i didnt expect Trinity to win this game...congrats men.

 

Im thinking Ryle vs Trinity in at PJCS

COngratulations Rocks and Male on a fine season and I certainly, though most of the time I probably wouldnt, will root for Trinity to win it all. I got to go to the game and my buddy let me stay in the press box (while everyone else was getting cold in the stand (HA HA) so I got to listen to him talk to Redman on the headsets. Some interesting things I got to hear:

 

1. Williams suggested to Redman to kick the field goal near the end of the 1st half but Redman decided against it. He decided to go with the momentum.

 

2. I rarely say this but I truly believe that Redman got out-coached Friday night. Sometimes (personally) I think you have to let go of your pride and made decisions based on the smart thing to do and I have and probably will never understand the mentality of playing straight Man to Man defense with little use of safeties against a pass oriented teams. When you have a team that has an accurate QB and receivers who run disciplined routes, Man to Man is hard to play 100% of the time. Yes, Male did play 2 safeties on occasions but nevertheless, they never got to practice it that much. As one coach once told me a long time ago...sometimes what you do best can come back to kill you if you arent ready to allow some adjustments and I think this is one game that clearly shows that what Male does best got them killed. Petrino simply picked Male apart and that is to his credit.

 

3. I thought Gainey made some major mistakes early. QB draws should be set up by first showing pass. But instead, Gainey ran staright ahead on the QB draws and the Rock LBs were waiting for him. Gainey tries too hard (as he had all year long) to go for the TD pass instead of throwing for the 1st down. I can think of 3 to 4 times when he overlooked wide open receivers for 1st downs to throw in double coverage in the endzone (that came away with nothing).

 

4. I felt that with .06 seconds left and 2 yards away, the game should have been put in Beaumont's hands. You have a great athlete like him, you should win or lose with him, not let Gainey make that decision. Even if it was a run play, Beaumont is either going to score or get stopped short, but Trinity had a hard time bringing Beaumont down all night long. Give the ball to your Mr. Football candidate and let him decide the game, not anyone else. Tough call to make.

 

5. You could actually hear the frustration level with the coaches in the press box about many things. The defense, the offensive play calling. etc. I know its hard sometimes when the electricity is running high and your heart is racing, but thats why you have other people there. I think there will be a lot of 2nd guessing on the part of the Male staff.

 

By no means am I trying to take away anything that Male did or Trinity did. I thought it was a great game and was disappointed that Male came up short. Nevertheless, no matter how good Male is, I still believe that as long as Redman continues to believe in his defense (and it works against teams that run well) against pass oriented teams, he will be exposed against teams like Trinity. I had a feeling that this game was going to be won by the team that was able to adjust better and clearly Trinity did that.

 

Perhaps the most gut-wrenching stat that sticks out in my mind is now Redman is 1-3 against Beatty. I think that speaks volumes from a coaching point of view.

 

Ironically, Coach Redman said earlier this year that a hapless 4-6 team did more to expose their weaknesses then any other team they played (Iroquois). Iroquois spread Male out and threw deep and Redman said that concerned him. Shockingly, Redman didnt seem to prepare to play against that type of team again. Nice job by Trinity to take advantage it. As I said before...interesting that what Male does well turned out to be what doomed them in the end.

 

Good luck Trinity and congrats Male on a great season, however bittersweet it may now be.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.