Conner Coach Resigns

doubledeuce

Coach Stellman also left quite a schedule for the coach coming in .... the new 6A district schedule, plus, Meade County, Johnson Central, Highlands, Holmes. At least he turned down Colerain who offered him quite a sizeable amount to play.

Sorry I forgot New Cath is on the Schedule too.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully Conner will look at all candidates and make a solid decision.

Conner has only hired ONE head coach for football who was not already

on staff. His name was Bob Lewis, his record speaks for it self. I hope they go in a similar direction this time. IMO Conner has a lot of untapped potential being the largest school in NKY.

Was Joe Clark on Lewis' Staff?

Was Joe Clark on Lewis' Staff?

Nope . . . . . .

The staff consisted of:

Tom Berger

John Lucas

Bob Young

Wayne Badida

Clark either came out of retirement when he came to Conner or he was a head coach somewhere else. . . . . .

On a different note--I would be extremely interested for someone to explain (simply because I don't know) why it would be better to pick Helmig over someone like Mike Yeagle . . . (again--I have just heard this a few times--I don't know enough about one of them to speak intelligently about the subject).

How so as far as a coach qualified to go to Conner based on what the coach has done recently?

Bellevue shocked Beechwood last year in the regular season, actually won a playoff game, and got bounced by the eventual state champion.

Newport lost by one point in the playoffs to the state champion on a PAT.

Dayton had a nice season but got blown out by the top teams in the district(closet game was 24-7 to HC) and got blasted in the first round of the playoffs.

Again coach Lickert is as qualified as anyone but there are many NKY coaches you could make as strong a case or even a stronger case for if you are basing it on their teams improving and being competitive.

You can't just look at on the field accomplishments...

Nope . . . . . .

The staff consisted of:

Tom Berger

John Lucas

Bob Young

Wayne Badida

Clark either came out of retirement when he came to Conner or he was a head coach somewhere else. . . . . .

On a different note--I would be extremely interested for someone to explain (simply because I don't know) why it would be better to pick Helmig over someone like Mike Yeagle . . . (again--I have just heard this a few times--I don't know enough about one of them to speak intelligently about the subject).

1985 Lewis came back as head coach for one season brought Joe Clark with him as offensive cord. Clark took over the next season as head coach. Clark was a head coach for Wyoming the same high school that

Lewis came from, retired then came to Conner. Clark took over in 1986.

You can't just look at on the field accomplishments...

Agree. But I don't think Conner is necessarily looking for someone to generate interest and become competitve for a lower playoff spot. I would think they are looking for someone who can take a 6A team that is shortly removed from 10-0 seasons and go deep into the playoffs similar to what Ryle is doing this year.

Agree. But I don't think Conner is necessarily looking for someone to generate interest and become competitve for a lower playoff spot. I would think they are looking for someone who can take a 6A team that is shortly removed from 10-0 seasons and go deep into the playoffs similar to what Ryle is doing this year.

That's not what I'm thinking either...;)

For the record, Dayton had their first winning season since 96 and it was only their 3rd winning season since 1990. Not sure I'd call that "fairly competitive".

That's not what I'm thinking either...;)

For the record, Dayton had their first winning season since 96 and it was only their 3rd winning season since 1990. Not sure I'd call that "fairly competitive".

Then spell it out for us what qualities exactly do you think would make Lickert a better choice for the Conner job than some of the other NKY coaches that might seek the job.

Love the Greendevils and they did qualify in the 4 spot this year and have a winning season so that would be one accomplishment that I would note. Honestly, I do not see a budding Class A power emerging. And with the loss of Hightchew and with a projected decent senior class next year backed by only a projected 3 Juniors on the roster there is no chance of winning the district. I'd lump Dayton in with Bellevue and Ludlow in the other playoff spots with Brossart left out and a quick playoff exit.

Then spell it out for us what qualities exactly do you think would make Lickert a better choice for the Conner job than some of the other NKY coaches that might seek the job.

Love the Greendevils and they did qualify in the 4 spot this year and have a winning season so that would be one accomplishment that I would note. Honestly, I do not see a budding Class A power emerging. And with the loss of Hightchew and with a projected decent senior class next year backed by only a projected 3 Juniors on the roster there is no chance of winning the district. I'd lump Dayton in with Bellevue and Ludlow in the other playoff spots with Brossart left out and a quick playoff exit.

I'll pass...

I am pretty sure Clark was not from Wyoming, but maybe Sycamore. I know coach Stellman was an assistant for him.

By the way, this is one time I will have to agree with Quickslick. What does the sheriff know about coaching a high school team? That is a full time job. Is he a sheriff or a coach? I think you can only do a good job at two such time consuming jobs one at a time.

1985 Lewis came back as head coach for one season brought Joe Clark with him as offensive cord. Clark took over the next season as head coach. Clark was a head coach for Wyoming the same high school that

Lewis came from, retired then came to Conner. Clark took over in 1986.