Conner Coach Resigns

doubledeuce

This will definitely be an interesting hiring process to say the least. I give my vote to Coach Lickert. What he has done with Dayton has been nothin short of impressive.

There are many NKY coaches who would have a shot based on what they have accomplished. And no offense to Coach Lickert because he is one of those, but how impressive is his accomplishments at Dayton? He did take a program that was down (but lets remember it was down from fairly competitive late 90s teams) and qualified for the 4th spot in the playoffs. And without coming within a sniff of the top teams in the district even that year. That is similar to Bellevue and Ludlow in recent years although it could be argued that Bellevue did knock off top district teams (NCC in 2000, Beechwood in 2005) in at least the regular season. Add in Newport's 2A run last year and even this year and there's another candidate. And I'm not including Holy Cross, NCC, Highlands, and Campbell Co. head coaches in the pool because they ain't going anywhere. And the CovCath coach ain't going anywhere except back across the river. But the point is there are lots of worthy candidates including some who are not head coaches.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Stellman has given much to Conner High School and the Hebron community. I first had the pleasure of meeting him over 10 years ago due to the fact that I was fortunate enough to coach his son, Trevor, in the BCPWFL. Both of my sons played for him and have never had anything but good things to say about him. I'm saddened that more people will no longer get to experience this awesome man. Many have questioned his coaching ability over the years, but I've never seen his "X's and O's" to be lacking. There have been times when the "Jimmys and Joes" were not as good as others, but Tom never once complained. He has always cared for his team regardless of whether they were 10-0 or 1-9. I don't think you can ask any more from a man than that!

This program should be an opportunity that many will covet. I trust that the powers-that-be will make the proper decision on who should take on this position. There are many good young athletes returning to Conner, so the cupboard is not bare for the new coach at Conner.

In closing I'd like to say Thank You, Coach Stellman, for all you have done for my family and the Cougar football family at large!

GO COUGARS!!!!!!

There are many NKY coaches who would have a shot based on what they have accomplished. And no offense to Coach Lickert because he is one of those, but how impressive is his accomplishments at Dayton? He did take a program that was down (but lets remember it was down from fairly competitive late 90s teams) and qualified for the 4th spot in the playoffs. And without coming within a sniff of the top teams in the district even that year. That is similar to Bellevue and Ludlow in recent years although it could be argued that Bellevue did knock off top district teams (NCC in 2000, Beechwood in 2005) in at least the regular season. Add in Newport's 2A run last year and even this year and there's another candidate. And I'm not including Holy Cross, NCC, Highlands, and Campbell Co. head coaches in the pool because they ain't going anywhere. And the CovCath coach ain't going anywhere except back across the river. But the point is there are lots of worthy candidates including some who are not head coaches.[

I was just giving my opinion.

There are many NKY coaches who would have a shot based on what they have accomplished. And no offense to Coach Lickert because he is one of those, but how impressive is his accomplishments at Dayton? He did take a program that was down (but lets remember it was down from fairly competitive late 90s teams) and qualified for the 4th spot in the playoffs. And without coming within a sniff of the top teams in the district even that year. That is similar to Bellevue and Ludlow in recent years although it could be argued that Bellevue did knock off top district teams (NCC in 2000, Beechwood in 2005) in at least the regular season. Add in Newport's 2A run last year and even this year and there's another candidate. And I'm not including Holy Cross, NCC, Highlands, and Campbell Co. head coaches in the pool because they ain't going anywhere. And the CovCath coach ain't going anywhere except back across the river. But the point is there are lots of worthy candidates including some who are not head coaches.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. There is a definite difference between the three of Newport, Bellevue and Dayton...

Is Yeagle ready to coach again? I was under the impression that he wanted to focus on his professional career. We all no a coaching salary won't pay the bills.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. There is a definite difference between the three of Newport, Bellevue and Dayton...

Is Yeagle ready to coach again? I was under the impression that he wanted to focus on his professional career. We all no a coaching salary won't pay the bills.

I thought he was going to be coaching baseball at Dayton????

How so as far as a coach qualified to go to Conner based on what the coach has done recently?

Bellevue shocked Beechwood last year in the regular season, actually won a playoff game, and got bounced by the eventual state champion.

Newport lost by one point in the playoffs to the state champion on a PAT.

Dayton had a nice season but got blown out by the top teams in the district(closet game was 24-7 to HC) and got blasted in the first round of the playoffs.

Again coach Lickert is as qualified as anyone but there are many NKY coaches you could make as strong a case or even a stronger case for if you are basing it on their teams improving and being competitive.

Knock the silly stuff off.

In addition to hearing Coach Yeagle is interested I hear there is a lot of support for Sheriff Helmig to take over as the next head coach. It should be interesting folks, stay tuned.

Support from who, ..... parents, adminstration, coaching staff, voters.... let us know.

I had the fortunate opportunity to play and coach for Tom Stellman. I would just like to say that he is one of the finest people I know. He cares tremendously about every player on the team, and is just a fun loving guy to be around. I was one that personally thought that he would never retire because he just loved doing this so much, regardless of what kind of record he had that season. Tom were gonna miss you here at Conner. And I'm sure the media will miss you too, lol.

GO COUGARS!!!!!:dancingpa

Hopefully Conner will look at all candidates and make a solid decision.

Conner has only hired ONE head coach for football who was not already

on staff. His name was Bob Lewis, his record speaks for it self. I hope they go in a similar direction this time. IMO Conner has a lot of untapped potential being the largest school in NKY.