Growing support for championship games by classification

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we did classify, how many regions would exist in each class and where would you play championship games? I can imagine that not everyone would be able to use Rupp. We already see how travel becomes an issue for football so I can only imagine what it could do for basketball. Granted, fewer classes might mean that gets alleviated, but it is something that I think about.

For a school like Danville it would be tough to get too excited about an All A district. Based on the All A region they'd play Burgin, DCA, Somerset, and Washington County. No offense to those teams, but the only team of that bunch to play Danville competitively in the last decade has been Somerset. I'd rather throw punches with Boyle, Lincoln, and Garrard.

In Ohio, there are around 800 schools which have basketball programs and the state has 4 divisions. In the Commonwealth, there are approximately 270 schools. To go to six divisions in basketball would be way too watered down as it already is in football in my opinion. I like the one state championship, but I also enjoy the in season All "A" tournament for the smaller schools. In basketball, it is approximately 125 schools. Both the A and the 2A are non-state sanctioned tournaments, but they have value in their own way.

I’m not sure but I think they were only somewhere between 25 and 40 schools that participated in this 2A tournament and very few east of Louisville.

I think the 2A will grow after getting through this inaugural year. The first year the All A went statewide there were many eligible schools that chose not to play. In my region a very talented Hazard team didn’t play in the first one in 1990. I think Russellville from the 4th skipped several All A’s as well, and back then they had some teams that could have made a run at winning it.

I don't see any growing support for the games to move. Though we crown 1 state champion, district and region tournaments all over the state have bigger meanings.

I think the schools would hate losing their district games. The district tournament in the 2nd region is always a big money maker for the schools involved.

UHA vs. Hopkinsville vs. Christian County in a district game just has more feel to it then those teams playing Lyon (UHA), Madisonville (Hoptown), and Owensboro (Christian Co.)

Not to mention the travel expenses that would go up for all the travel.

I’d love to know the attendance at the new 2-A tournament. I have seen pictures and it doesn’t look well received.

Snow really killed a lot of travel and it being a new thing, not as much hype for it just yet.

Had Dontaie Allen been healthy and got Pendleton to the tournament, it would have been a big time event. (I think they were eligible correct?)

Snow really killed a lot of travel and it being a new thing, not as much hype for it just yet.

Had Dontaie Allen been healthy and got Pendleton to the tournament, it would have been a big time event. (I think they were eligible correct?)

Yes, they did play in it, loss in first game.

Football classification is a mess. The first two rounds are blowouts and generally the same 4 to 8 teams dominate each class. The current basketball format celebrates making the state tournament as much as winning it. I see no reason to change to classes.

Football classification is a mess. The first two rounds are blowouts and generally the same 4 to 8 teams dominate each class. The current basketball format celebrates making the state tournament as much as winning it. I see no reason to change to classes.

I agree to this. Just making the Sweet 16 is an accomplishment. Winning the state championship is very special. If we go to classes, I can see it becoming very much like football where its the same teams every year.

An example would be region 2, UHA, Hopkinsville, and Christian County all battle for that title. They would most likely be in 3 different classes, and would go to the state pretty much every single year...waters down the competition.

Split into 2 classes. Largest 50% and smallest 50%.

In another thread it was discussed. 700 students roughly splits the schools into the 2 categories. And based on number of students, I think only a few schools with less than 700 has won the state championship in the last 25 years.

In another thread it was discussed. 700 students roughly splits the schools into the 2 categories. And based on number of students, I think only a few schools with less than 700 has won the state championship in the last 25 years.

One, Shelby Valley.