Arkansas Deputy Fired After Shooting Small Dog

AverageJoesGym

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Police should not have to answer calls involving animals unless they are vicious and in the act of attacking or preparing to attack. Police are not trained for these type of calls and shouldn't have to answer them. Common sense shuld have prevailed on the part of the officer, but still....

That would make a lot of officers happy if that were the case. A lot of folks assume officers moonlight as animal control and that's just not the case.

I've heard some very interesting calls for officers assistance regarding animals.

My least favorite were snake in the house calls.

Police should not have to answer calls involving animals unless they are vicious and in the act of attacking or preparing to attack. Police are not trained for these type of calls and shouldn't have to answer them. Common sense shuld have prevailed on the part of the officer, but still....

You would think that since he was a K9 officer that he would have been trained in how to deal with an unruly dog.

Man, if you're going to call the police to look for a snake in your house you better be sure you've got anything that shouldn't be in there out. Ever find anything that they didn't intend for you to find?

I am pretty good with divided attention but not when a snake is striking at me.

No to answer your question, I got the job done and then got out of Dodge.

I once had a six foot long black snake in my house. I didn't call the cops...never thought to. Luckily I had a friend who lived right up the road who took care of it. I slept with the lights on for six weeks after that, afraid that I would get up and step on a snake.

We believe that he got in through a loose dryer vent, which we fixed. Still, I'm glad that I don't live there any more.

I once had a six foot long black snake in my house. I didn't call the cops...never thought to. Luckily I had a friend who lived right up the road who took care of it. I slept with the lights on for six weeks after that, afraid that I would get up and step on a snake.

We believe that he got in through a loose dryer vent, which we fixed. Still, I'm glad that I don't live there any more.

I just got the heebie-jeebies reading your post. I am moving out of the country to a place where no snakes are present if this ever happens to me or anyone in my neighborhood.

Lockout tool can work great for those as long as you know what your dealing with. With that said if you put it in a bag to transport elsewhere I'd make certain that bag is secure and there's no way it's getting loose in the backseat of your cruiser or trunk. And yes, of course that's happened.

Accidentally left the basement door open a few weeks ago for an uncertain time period. Maybe a day or two, we haven't found any unwelcome guests yet.

The Academy really did do a good job training us but I don't remember snake week.

They do, do a good job...just a million situations that they just don't have time to cover. You just can't train for every possible situation that will arise once you hit the streets. Heck it takes lawyers 3 years or more to learn the law and people expect officers to be law experts after 20+ weeks of academy training.

That is why I became a Fireman instead of a Police Officer. A cat in a tree was a much easier and safer situation to deal with. LOL. After 24 years on the job I still have never seen a cat skeleton in a tree.