Arkansas Deputy Fired After Shooting Small Dog

AverageJoesGym

That's like saying a married officer should better know how to handle a domestic violence call. Not always the case

Seriously? You're going to equate being married, which comes with no instructions, nor guarantees any situation in which the married officer would ever see a domestic violence situation in their own marriage to a K9 officer, who has formal training working with dogs? Really? That's the comparison you're going to use.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is why I became a Fireman instead of a Police Officer. A cat in a tree was a much easier and safer situation to deal with. LOL. After 24 years on the job I still have never seen a cat skeleton in a tree.

Putting the wet stuff on the hot stuff! :isurrender:

They do, do a good job...just a million situations that they just don't have time to cover. You just can't train for every possible situation that will arise once you hit the streets. Heck it takes lawyers 3 years or more to learn the law and people expect officers to be law experts after 20+ weeks of academy training.

I hear what you are saying but I believe the "real law training" should happen when an officer gets back to his/her department for a mini-academy on top of the academy and then a very intensive Field Training Program.

Among the many duties a peace officer performs teaching the law to other less experienced officers and the public is a constant responsibility of the job.

Seriously? You're going to equate being married, which comes with no instructions, nor guarantees any situation in which the married officer would ever see a domestic violence situation in their own marriage to a K9 officer, who has formal training working with dogs? Really? That's the comparison you're going to use.

Well, how would working with one of the best trained dogs in the world make you better qualified to deal with other dogs?

I hear what you are saying but I believe the "real law training" should happen when an officer gets back to his/her department for a mini-academy on top of the academy and then a very intensive Field Training Program.

Among the many duties a peace officer performs teaching the law to other less experienced officers and the public is a constant responsibility of the job.

Jail tracker can be great for finding obscure charges that aren't commonly used. I found one last week that had me looking up KRS while I was on vacation.

I would think it would give him enough insight to handle a chihuahua. But obviously not, that's why he is currently unemployed.
How so? Do you think he should of given the dog the commands he learned for his police dog? Just because your trained to use a trained dog doesn't mean you have a clue as to what to do with an untrained one. Edited by bugatti

how so? Do you think he should of given the dog the commands he learned for his police dog? Just because your trained to use a trained dog doesn't mean you have a clue as to what to do with an untrained one.

He's trained to handle his much larger dogs when they show aggression. You would think he would know how to handle a chihuahua without shooting it. This is 100% on the deputy. His bosses seemed to agree this his actions were ridiculous.

I once had a six foot long black snake in my house. I didn't call the cops...never thought to. Luckily I had a five gallon can of gas and a zippo lighter which took care of it. I slept with the lights on and a .357 under my pillow for six weeks after that, afraid that I would get up and step on a snake.

We believe that he got in through a loose dryer vent, which we fixed. Still, I'm glad that I don't live there any more.

Fixed that for you. :D

He's trained to handle his much larger dogs when they show aggression. You would think he would know how to handle a chihuahua without shooting it. This is 100% on the deputy. His bosses seemed to agree this his actions were ridiculous.

Over course he should be able to handle a chihuahua without shooting it and that has nothing to do with him being a K9 officer. The dude screwed up and he's been punished.

That doesn't change the fact that just because he's a K9 officer doesn't mean he's better equipped to deal with aggressive dogs. He's trained to handle his extremely well trained dog when it shows aggression. The average dog will not respond to his commands.

You would think that since he was a K9 officer that he would have been trained in how to deal with an unruly dog.

Do you think K9 handlers are dog whisperers?

Im not saying this dog should have been shot, but just because he is a K9 handler doesn't mean he can calm down any aggressive dog.