1A State Championship: #1 Beechwood vs. #2 Pikeville

Bac2369

Who wins?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Here's the turning point to this game which I cannot properly handicap.

I think Beechwood is better than Pikeville on both the Offensive and Defensive Lines.

Beechwood is almost always better than other small schools in this department and that is usually why they dominate so handily.

With that said, I think Pikeville is considerably better than most of these teams on both fronts this year.

As good as Castleman is, I think Pikeville has an edge at the skill positions.

If Beechwood is still head and shoulders better than Pikeville up front, I think they win comfortably.

If Pikeville closes that gap up front, it brings this game into tossup range.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I think it will be a competitive game, you have to go with the BW seniors going for the 3-peat. Many of those seniors contributed as sophomores. ATLCat's analysis on line is spot on. If Pikeville has solid line play, this will be a real interesting game because I'm not real confident in BW QB having to throw the ball down the field if needed. If BW is able to run the ball like they have against other 1A schools they will win by 3 TD's.

I watched the Pikeville vs. Point Pleasant (WV) game and I thought Pikeville looked good, but not great.

Additionally, I thought the 2015 State Champion Pikeville Panthers looked much better than the 2018 team.

I am going with Beechwood by three TDs.

Go Tigers!

It's hard to go against the kings of 1A football. I do expect this to be competitive, though. I'll echo ATL's analysis above... Pikeville has very good line play on both sides of the ball, and a great collection of skill people. But Beechwood owns the trenches against schools their own size. I think that's where the difference will be made.

:lol2:

You really can't wait for Beachwood to be gone from 1A can you? To that all I can say is enjoy the next four years with Newport Catholic. I expect in 4 years will see a similar quote when New Cath is in a title game.

I dont see NewCath getting back to the dominating form they had at times under Schneider,,, but I agree with you that after a brief hiatus I could see NCC quickly becoming a staple again as one of the 3 or 4 best teams.

With that said, Pikeville is a program built to stay at a very high level in the near future as well.

The Pikeville talent pool is up and MacNamee has done a great job of building momentum and structure at the Feeder level. Pikeville, IMHO, may be the team to beta in 1A in the new alignment more often than not.