YouTube TV...Yea or Nay?

Jumper_Dad

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven’t heard to much talk about YouTube Tv, but I definitely would steer away from Hulu TV. I watch a lot of shows on just the regular streaming service fof Hulu and it goes down quite a bit. I wouldn’t want to take that risk if I was trying to replace satellite/ cable. My sister and brother in law have Play Station Vue though and rave about it. So I’m curious as well to hear if anyone has used YouTube.

There was a quick blurb on the news this morning about spectrum/Comcast bills possibly going up as much as $20 or more in November. Can’t see them doing that because you’d have to think customers would leave in droves. My yearly promotion just ended and mine went up $16 and the wife is having a fit. If it jumps even more I’ll certainly look for something else. I still need to call them about getting our current bill lowered, but spectrum isn’t so flexible as twc was. I hate having to go through that. Last year the rep found us a deal, then after I hung up our cable went totally dead. I called back and after 30+ minutes they couldn’t figure out what she did to totally wipe out our service. It took them until later the next day to get us back and working.

There was a quick blurb on the news this morning about spectrum/Comcast bills possibly going up as much as $20 or more in November. Can’t see them doing that because you’d have to think customers would leave in droves. My yearly promotion just ended and mine went up $16 and the wife is having a fit. If it jumps even more I’ll certainly look for something else. I still need to call them about getting our current bill lowered, but spectrum isn’t so flexible as twc was. I hate having to go through that. Last year the rep found us a deal, then after I hung up our cable went totally dead. I called back and after 30+ minutes they couldn’t figure out what she did to totally wipe out our service. It took them until later the next day to get us back and working.

Cable companies are really going to have to figure out ways to cut cost. There’s no denying that it is more convenient to go with a cable company but when you have other options that are half of or sometimes 1/3 of what you’re paying for cable, it’s no wonder people are switching. I just don’t see how the pricing model for cable companies will be sustainable over the next 10 years or so.

I've used DirecTV Now during March Madness this past year and it was great.

I'd also look into Hulu Live. I've never used it, but the quality of the normal Hulu streaming is fantastic so I imagine it would be as well.

Like others, I've never heard anything (good or bad) about YouTube TV. Didn't know it existed to be honest.

Cable companies are really going to have to figure out ways to cut cost. There’s no denying that it is more convenient to go with a cable company but when you have other options that are half of or sometimes 1/3 of what you’re paying for cable, it’s no wonder people are switching. I just don’t see how the pricing model for cable companies will be sustainable over the next 10 years or so.

I have Spectrum but their service is not keeping up with the cost.

They have ancient technology compressing the video they send down the line and instead of upgrading their infrastructure to prepare for 4K TV and beyond they have cute little commercials with Ellen telling us about "Spectrum Mobile."

In other words, I see Spectrum getting away from their core customer base and trying to be everything to everyone with mobile everything.

Some (many I think) of us just want high quality TV and not bells and whistles.

You folks with Spectrum....Are you not able to get DirecTV or Fiobtics?

Everyone I know that had Spectrum has switched to one or the other. They can't compete in price, service, or quality of product.

Year round foliage precludes me from satellite options, my home surrounded on all sides by 50ft+ tall trees.

I checked the channel lineup for YouTube tv and it even has the local stations and the sec network. However, it doesn’t have discovery, a&e, hgtv (which the wife watches nonstop), the outdoor channel, etc. I guess you can subscribe to them alone, but I don’t know if they have apps on Roku. We have Roku on a few sets in the house to avoid paying the digital set top box rental from spectrum. The Roku is nice, but there is not a show guide to see what’s on through the night and you can’t direct tune to a station. Stinks when you want to go from hgtv on 983 all the way to 912. Plus you can really tell a difference when watching live sports. The Roku just seems artificial even though it’s a 4K setup.

I checked the channel lineup for YouTube tv and it even has the local stations and the sec network. However, it doesn’t have discovery, a&e, hgtv (which the wife watches nonstop), the outdoor channel, etc. I guess you can subscribe to them alone, but I don’t know if they have apps on Roku. We have Roku on a few sets in the house to avoid paying the digital set top box rental from spectrum. The Roku is nice, but there is not a show guide to see what’s on through the night and you can’t direct tune to a station. Stinks when you want to go from hgtv on 983 all the way to 912. Plus you can really tell a difference when watching live sports. The Roku just seems artificial even though it’s a 4K setup.

My son uses a Spectrum App on his Roku TV and watches all of his cable channels on it. He has no cable ran to that TV at all and still watches them all.

You folks with Spectrum....Are you not able to get DirecTV or Fiobtics?

Everyone I know that had Spectrum has switched to one or the other. They can't compete in price, service, or quality of product.

I don't have line of sight for a Direct and last time I looked into the Fioptics equipment was garbage and I have copper wire about the last 1000 feet leading up to my condo so I decided against it.

Would anyone like to share their recent experience with Fioptics?