Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Northern Kentucky Basketball Coaches Association - Preseason Top 10 Teams and Players

Featured Replies

Press Release - 10/23/18 - Coaches of teams that reside in Boone, Kenton, and Campbell Counties.

 

Preseason Top 10 Teams

1. Covington Catholic (22) 229

2. Cooper (1) 187

3. Campbell County 173

4. Scott 139

5. Simon Kenton 94

6. Dixie Heights 89

7. Beechwood 82

8. Newport 78

9. Ryle 40

10. St. Henry 39

 

Others Receiving Votes: Highlands 34, Holy Cross 21, Holmes 21, Newport Central Catholic 17, Conner 8, Lloyd Memorial 7, Boone County 5, Bishop Brossart 5.

 

Preseason Top 10 Players

1. Reid Jolly, Campbell County (4) 175

2. Nick Thelen, Covington Catholic (7) 167

3. Vince Rankin, Ryle (4) 126

4. Kelly Niece, Simon Kenton (4) 116

5. Scotty Draud, Beechwood (1) 108

6. Donnie Miller, Newport 97

7. Chad Ohmer, Scott 63

8. Trey Meister, Scott 60

9. Blaine Walters, Cooper (1) 59

10. Michael Mayer, Covington Catholic 58

  • Replies 88
  • Views 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walton Verona is not represented in the NKBCA, which is why they are not included in the rankings.

The "Others receiving votes" has several names that you don't often see in that section.

Top 4 or 4 solid then big dropoff. Any of the others below could easily be 6-10.

I never understand how Walton Verona is not part of Northern Kentucky. WV would be number 3 and Miles number 1.

I never understand how Walton Verona is not part of Northern Kentucky. WV would be number 3 and Miles number 1.

 

Then that would also mean Pendleton County would be included, with Allen bumping Miles from the top spot :walk:

I’m surprised that the coaches have Cooper so high. I thought they would be down this year. And I thought Highlands would be better? But, what do I know?

I never understand how Walton Verona is not part of Northern Kentucky. WV would be number 3 and Miles number 1.

 

They opted out.

And I thought Highlands would be better? But, what do I know?

 

I think you know a lot. I too think Highlands is a rapidly improving program, and that Kevin Listerman has a deep group to choose from.

It's hard to believe basketball is here already - I guess I have been enjoying football too much!

 

It looks like the coaches picked the top two teams pretty easily with CCH getting all but one of the first place votes. The difference between this year and last will be that the top two are more likely to get upset by another NKY team. The gap has narrowed slightly.

 

After the top 2, I think it is a toss up. Beechwood and Newport will be better than Dixie. Ryle shouldn't be in the top 10 but Conner and Lloyd might surprise some of you.

Edited by JackieMoon
adding info

Regarding the players, these kids are all solid! No superstars like the last couple of years but they are all ballers.

 

It looks like Thelen got the most first place votes and I would agree that he is better than Jolly (not trying to take anything away from Jolly).

 

It should be another fun season!

So unusual not to see Newport Catholic or Holmes in top ten. I think Highlands will be in the top ten very soon, Lloyd and Ryle will be much improved, Dixie might be rated a tad high. Good luck to all.

So unusual not to see Newport Catholic or Holmes in top ten. I think Highlands will be in the top ten very soon, Lloyd and Ryle will be much improved, Dixie might be rated a tad high. Good luck to all.

 

From the news in another thread of Dixie players defecting to Lloyd, yes, Dixie would appear to be ranked way too high.

They opted out.

 

The original post says teams from Kenton, Boone and Campbell. Walton is in Boone County. Pendleton is ... Pendleton. It does not matter to me. It just seems like Walton would count.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.