Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Male vs St. X Predictions (Poll)

Who will win this one? 98 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will win this one?

    • Male
      50%
      49
    • St. Xavier
      50%
      49

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

  • Author

OK, I am going with X on this one. It will be a close one but I think X will get the running game going and outscore Male by 7. 28-21

  • Replies 122
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Tiger team is the most enigmatic I have witnessed in over 5 decades of watching St. X. football. The current senior class at St. X. started out their freshman year 0-4 and were demolished by both Male and Trinity during this stretch before regrouping and finishing the year with 6 straight wins to finish 6-4. Since they did not face each other during this freshman year, both Male and Trinity went undefeated. From my personal observations of watching both of these freshman teams play, Male was more talented than the Rocks, and probably the best I had ever seen play at this level.

 

Nonetheless as sophomores on the JV level, this same St. X. group came back to upend Trinity, while losing to Male narrowly on a last minute pass deflection, which should have been an interception to seal a Tiger victory. The needed improvement was clearly demonstrated.

 

The current junior and sophomore classes on this Tiger varsity team were both undefeated as freshmen and JV's in the state of Kentucky.

 

The talent is there for this Tiger team to take it all this year, but for whatever reason, to this point they have not made the improvements over the season that all St. X. teams have made in the past.

 

The offensive line blocking on extra points has allowed the defenders to penetrate for frequent blocks from the corners as well as up the middle. Even when the blocking is not a sieve, it is only a 70/30 chance that the kicker will get it between the goalpost. The Tigers have always been known as having one of, if not the best, place-kicking games in the state, but it has fallen apart this year. These problems reared their ugly head in the first game of the season against Bowling Green, and astonishingly after ten games have still not been resolved as three extra points were missed last week's victory over Manual. Considering the level of opposition we are facing for the remainder of the playoffs, it becomes an extremely difficult putt unless a corrective solution is found.

 

Defensively, this squad flies to the ball as well as any in recent Tiger history, but often they neglect to wrap after the hit, which has resulted in too many big plays by the opposition. Improvement in tackling fundamentals is urgently needed.

 

Offensively, the Tigers probably have their best running back duo in Vic Anderson and Deuce Finch, since the tandum of Bobby Reeves and Bobby Spann who led the Tigers to a title in the late 50's. The offensive line is strong and athletic, the receivers are swift and adept at running their routes, and we have two good QB's in Ben Zoeller and Chris Wade. All the ingredients are there for a TD explosion, but we need to get all of them on the same page at the same time, which, once again for whatever reason, has not occurred frequently this season.

 

I may be greatly chastised by my fellow Tiger supporters for enunciating all these troublesome and enigmatic areas, but before we take the field tomorrow night, I feel all the cards need to be laid on the table. As I have noted earlier, all the ingredients are there for the Tigers to grab the golden ring, if the noted problem areas are resolved.

 

To reutilize the phrase I have already used many times in this disortation, "for whatever reason", I believe Friday night a resolution will be manifested for all these troublesome areas. I believe in this senior class...I believe in this team...I believe in this coaching staff.

 

:fight: St. X. 30 - Male 21 :fight:

 

 

:ylsuper: NOW IS THE TIME TIGERS...SO LET'S DO IT!! :ylsuper:

Wow OX, it sounds like you may be confirming RP's post about chemistry.

I also think the Tiger's kicking woes began last year. Missing an extra point and a FG left the X kicking game 0 for 2 in the title game. That theme has hung on all season this year.

I see that Coach Glaser is planting the seeds in comments in the CJ this morning. In his comments about Male's defense, Mike stated that "the officials allow them to grab and hold everything".

I still think the Tigers bounce back and bounce the Dawgs from the playoffs. I really don't think it will be as close as many suggest.

Wow OX, it sounds like you may be confirming RP's post about chemistry.

I also think the Tiger's kicking woes began last year. Missing an extra point and a FG left the X kicking game 0 for 2 in the title game. That theme has hung on all season this year.

I see that Coach Glaser is planting the seeds in comments in the CJ this morning. In his comments about Male's defense, Mike stated that "the officials allow them to grab and hold everything".

I still think the Tigers bounce back and bounce the Dawgs from the playoffs. I really don't think it will be as close as many suggest.

 

 

I read that and thought, "Wow". That is an uncharacteristically inflammatory statement by Glaser before a big game. Did Glaser openly challenge the officiating crew to make more calls against Male's defense?

I was surprised there was no C-J prediction for this game. Too close to call? Lack of intestinal fortitude on the part of the new High School beat writer? Or simple editing oversight?

I read that and thought, "Wow". That is an uncharacteristically inflammatory statement by Glaser before a big game. Did Glaser openly challenge the officiating crew to make more calls against Male's defense?

He has held nothing back as of late. Honesty is definitely the best thing. This team will come out and perform for sure tonight. A great week of practice should end in a victory. I do not buy into the chemistry thing as far as thre players getting along but the adverse conditions(facilty wise) that this team has had to face has slowed down the field chemistry and timing of many things. Now they seem to be hitting correctly and we will see tonight just how good this team can be.

Wow OX, it sounds like you may be confirming RP's post about chemistry.

I also think the Tiger's kicking woes began last year. Missing an extra point and a FG left the X kicking game 0 for 2 in the title game. That theme has hung on all season this year.

I see that Coach Glaser is planting the seeds in comments in the CJ this morning. In his comments about Male's defense, Mike stated that "the officials allow them to grab and hold everything".

I still think the Tigers bounce back and bounce the Dawgs from the playoffs. I really don't think it will be as close as many suggest.

 

What is up with you Trinity guys? There is NO chemistry problem with the Tigers. This group of seniors has come a VERY long way since the first half of their freshman year and they are a close nit group because of that. Not putting every facet of the game together does not indicate a 'chemistry' problem. Try another angle or let it go:mad:

I agree with Ox that this group of players has all the ingredients to be playing on the last day and I agree that they have not fully shown their 'best team' on any given gameday. However, I believe that they will be ready to play from the beginning of the game tonight instead of spotting the Dawgs a half before they decide to play. Yes, the fast field would appear to favor H but it will also give the St X line a chance to get some traction in the trenches and stay on their feet when going after Gainey. Oh yeah, I think Vic will be able to run a little more effectively behind a line that is ready for redemption. Redman said this morning 'that there will always be an eye on Vic'. There are other weapons that can beat Male IF Glaser and Chitwood are willing to loosen up the playbook and be creative. If they do this , then Vic will eventually break one of his patented big plays.

I predict the Tigers accept the challenge, step up , and beat the Dawgs in a close one.

 

Final St X 24 (yes we hit a field goal!) - Male 21:ylsuper:

I read that and thought, "Wow". That is an uncharacteristically inflammatory statement by Glaser before a big game. Did Glaser openly challenge the officiating crew to make more calls against Male's defense?

I too was shocked when I read this. Very un X-like. Glaser has been much more "honest" the past few years.

What is up with you Trinity guys? There is NO chemistry problem with the Tigers. This group of seniors has come a VERY long way since the first half of their freshman year and they are a close nit group because of that. Not putting every facet of the game together does not indicate a 'chemistry' problem. Try another angle or let it go:mad:

I agree with Ox that this group of players has all the ingredients to be playing on the last day and I agree that they have not fully shown their 'best team' on any given gameday. However, I believe that they will be ready to play from the beginning of the game tonight instead of spotting the Dawgs a half before they decide to play. Yes, the fast field would appear to favor H but it will also give the St X line a chance to get some traction in the trenches and stay on their feet when going after Gainey. Oh yeah, I think Vic will be able to run a little more effectively behind a line that is ready for redemption. Redman said this morning 'that there will always be an eye on Vic'. There are other weapons that can beat Male IF Glaser and Chitwood are willing to loosen up the playbook and be creative. If they do this , then Vic will eventually break one of his patented big plays.

I predict the Tigers accept the challenge, step up , and beat the Dawgs in a close one.

 

Final St X 24 (yes we hit a field goal!) - Male 21:ylsuper:

 

Clam down fella. I picked your team to upset the Dawgs. I was commenting that OX (the Mac-Daddy of all X posters) seemed to concur with RP that X isn't clicking. In most circles that is referred to as ... team chemistry. I'm not even saying I agree, but Ox and RP seem to be on the same page.

 

One question for X-men. When "The Deuce" scores or gets a first down on the road, does the PA man identify him as "The Deuce" ? Or is that a home field thing?

He has held nothing back as of late. Honesty is definitely the best thing.

 

Do you think that the officials actually call the game in favor of the Male defenders? Is that honesty or hyperbole?

Do you think that the officials actually call the game in favor of the Male defenders? Is that honesty or hyperbole?

I think the officials call the game based on the play on the field, not for Male or against X. Glaser is planting a seed to get the defensive holding against the X receivers called which was called early in the 3rd quarter in the first game and we know what happened after that. X was able to throw successfully over the Male defense.

Do you think that the officials actually call the game in favor of the Male defenders? Is that honesty or hyperbole?

 

I just think that it is such a different defense that the refs do not watch all the man to man inside covered matchups and holding past the 5 yard buffer happens quite a bit. Maybe he was just putting in into the out of state officals heads to watch.

If Male wins this game they take state. If X wins its a 50/50 shot as to whether X or Trinity wins it all.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.