Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Male vs St. X Predictions (Poll)

Who will win this one? 98 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will win this one?

    • Male
      50%
      49
    • St. Xavier
      50%
      49

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I assume both teams traded film prior to this game. Anyone know?

  • Replies 122
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume both teams have traded film prior to this game. Anyone know?

yes

No need to make a big deal out of it. I dought that the KHSAA is going to leve a fine on Coach G. Whats wrong by playing by the rules? If any team chooses to bend or twist the (playing) rules to their benefit, and get away with it, then its the Officials responsibility to recognise this situation. We all need a little reminder about things (BGP Rules) every now and then. Im sure every coach in a big game reminds the officials about the opposing teams tendency to "stretch" the rules. This pretains to blocking, holding, late hits, pass coverage, 5 yard contact etc. Let just face it, its a big game and each side wants to negate the precieved advantage of the other. Good Luck to both teams and lets play by the rules......

How soon we forget Coach G. Last year there was a call of Pass Interference on a Male DB. It wasn't there, didn't happen, right in front of me. This play led to the Tigers getting the go ahead TD. On Friday nite Lights and the Blitz both TV guys showed the play and both commented on the call. "what was the ref seeing", and "I didnt' see the infraction". So sometimes you get the call, and sometimes you don't. Do you think our field will be fast tonite? I do. Very fast. I wonder who the refs will be?

I have no idea who the refs will be. If X does not come to play, it does not matter. Should be a great game. Really looking forward to this one. The play you are referencing above Bama Larry, I dont recall. It wont be the last blown call in a HS football game....... Hopefully, the game will be relatively penalty free.

How soon we forget Coach G. Last year there was a call of Pass Interference on a Male DB. It wasn't there, didn't happen, right in front of me. This play led to the Tigers getting the go ahead TD. On Friday nite Lights and the Blitz both TV guys showed the play and both commented on the call. "what was the ref seeing", and "I didnt' see the infraction". So sometimes you get the call, and sometimes you don't. Do you think our field will be fast tonite? I do. Very fast. I wonder who the refs will be?

 

The crew should be the best in the state. It will not be from Louisville so what has been called in the regular season doesn't necessarily mean that it won't be called tonight. KHSAA strives for consistency throughout the state but let me cite 2 examples: 1) Coaches on the field- Both X and H coaches are all over the field and on the sidelines. Typically, that is not flagged in Jefferson County because of the rating system that the coaches get over the officials. X, T, and H could scratch the official because he/she flagged the coach and then the official never works a X,T, or H game again. During the regular season, we typically warn and warn. In the playoffs, it may be the only time that referee has H,T, or X so he rightfully sees a coach on the field, he/she will probably flag them. This can apply to profanity also. We are pretty lax in throwing flags for player/coach uses of profanity.

 

2) The second rule won't come up tonight but it is the reverse situation where out in the east and west parts of the state are more lenient toward the use of tobacco products. Case in point- we sent a crew to do the Betsy Layne- South Laurel game right after the tobacco rule was put in place and we advised before the game. I have the sideline and half the coaching staff had a chew in and all of the chain crew. We discussed it as a crew and decided that in the interest of the game and denying me the opportunity to get spat on my nice clean pants that we would not enforce it since it was a regular season game.

H- I spoke to some of the people around for H's first playoff game and Male broke the huddle with 12 people and had 12 on the defense 4 times during the PRP game so it was enforced. I am sure the Louisville officials would of called it also.

I have no idea who the refs will be. If X does not come to play, it does not matter. Should be a great game. Really looking forward to this one. The play you are referencing above Bama Larry, I dont recall. It wont be the last blown call in a HS football game....... Hopefully, the game will be relatively penalty free.
You're kidding, right?

;)

We all need a little reminder about things (BGP Rules) every now and then. ..... This pretains to blocking, holding, late hits, pass coverage, 5 yard contact etc. ......

 

157- I apologize for pointing this out but it's the second time its been mentioned about 5 yard contact. Male can chuck all the way down the field until the ball is in the air. 5 yards contact is a NFL rule, not High School. If they( H or X) grab or hold, then it is defensive holding call. If they impede or hinder while the ball is in the air, then it is defensive pass interference. ( or Offensive PI if the Offensive receiver impedes or hinders the defensive players opportunity to catch the ball)

By the way, you can have intentional grounding outside the tackles in high school too.

;)

 

By the way, you can have intentional grounding outside the tackles in high school too.

 

jimmy,

 

If the QB throws the ball out of bounds and well out of reach of any in-bound players, is that intentional grounding?

^ If I am not mistaken as long as the ball crosses the line of scrimmage that is ok.

^ I understand what you are saying. I sit corrected. So the real issue is: Is it chucking or holding?? Im not a ref, so I dont have to make that call. I think this is where some of the issues are raised with respect to defense coverage of wide receivers.

How soon we forget Coach G. Last year there was a call of Pass Interference on a Male DB. It wasn't there, didn't happen, right in front of me. This play led to the Tigers getting the go ahead TD. On Friday nite Lights and the Blitz both TV guys showed the play and both commented on the call. "what was the ref seeing", and "I didnt' see the infraction". So sometimes you get the call, and sometimes you don't. Do you think our field will be fast tonite? I do. Very fast. I wonder who the refs will be?

 

The call last year was different from both sides of the field. The Male side or home side where the filming was from showed no contact. The X side could see the contact. The back judge who made the call was sitting just 10 yards from the play in the middle.

Like anything else, it was a judgement call, and it did not effect the other 47.5 minutes of the game, either way.

jimmy,

 

If the QB throws the ball out of bounds and well out of reach of any in-bound players, is that intentional grounding?

 

I have been out 2 years so FBrules would be a better source. Was a receiver not in the area and was the QB avoiding a loss? If yes to both then I would say throw the flag but it may have changed the last two years.

Ref, thanks for the info. I'm an ex ref and umpire and don't like to be negative because of what know. Any call you make, only half the stands will be happy.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.