Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Red Sox 8 Astros 6

Featured Replies

Red Sox take a 3-1 series lead.

 

Just an absolutely atrocious call on the Altuve HR. Betts glove was a) clearly closed, b) clearly over the wall and in the stands, and c) the ball was already by him when the fan made contact.

 

How you can call that an out is just absurd. Complete screw job IMO.

  • Replies 99
  • Views 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst call I’ve ever seen on HR/ out. Astros got completely hosed.

You should go back and watch that replay. His glove was pushed closed by one of the fans going for the ball. They showed a side angle and it looks like the fans hands were a little past the wall. I’m not saying it was “fan interference”. I’m not cheering for anyone at this point cause I don’t care for any of the teams, but Mookie most likely makes that catch if the fan didn’t shut his glove closed.

I have always wondered this. I get enhancing the fan experience, but why does baseball allow spectators to be that close to the action to where a fan can be put into that situation? We are talking adjustments of a few feet.

  • Author
You should go back and watch that replay. His glove was pushed closed by one of the fans going for the ball. They showed a side angle and it looks like the fans hands were a little past the wall. I’m not saying it was “fan interference”. I’m not cheering for anyone at this point cause I don’t care for any of the teams, but Mookie most likely makes that catch if the fan didn’t shut his glove closed.

 

I've watched it multiple times.

 

Astros got completely hosed, IMO.

I have always wondered this. I get enhancing the fan experience, but why does baseball allow spectators to be that close to the action to where a fan can be put into that situation? We are talking adjustments of a few feet.

 

This

Red Sox take a 3-1 series lead.

 

Just an absolutely atrocious call on the Altuve HR. Betts glove was a) clearly closed, b) clearly over the wall and in the stands, and c) the ball was already by him when the fan made contact.

 

How you can call that an out is just absurd. Complete screw job IMO.

A and C are not correct. B is the only point up for discussion. @SportsCenter twitter account posted a slow motion video of it that clearly shows Betts' glove was closed by contacting a fan and he would have likely caught the ball as it was not past him. The only point of discussion is whether his glove was past the wall or in the field of play.

That one call is probably the difference in this series being 2-2 instead of 3-1. More than likely has changed the outcome of who advances on to the WS.

The fan 100% caused Mookie's glove to close. There is no debating that.

 

Now, we can argue whether or not Mookie was over the wall, or the fan was in the field of play, but there is no debate on why/how his glove was closed.

If the ball has cleared the wall the only fan interference has to be intentional. The fan has as much right to the ball as the fielder.

That one call is probably the difference in this series being 2-2 instead of 3-1. More than likely has changed the outcome of who advances on to the WS.

Wasn't this in the first inning?

The fan 100% caused Mookie's glove to close. There is no debating that.

 

Now, we can argue whether or not Mookie was over the wall, or the fan was in the field of play, but there is no debate on why/how his glove was closed.

Yep, pretty clear. That said I'm not sure what the call on the field was but IMO whatever it was you can't overturn with replay as it was not clear who was where.

You should go back and watch that replay. His glove was pushed closed by one of the fans going for the ball. They showed a side angle and i looks like the fans hands were a little past the wall. I’m not saying it was “fan interference”. I’m not cheering for anyone at this point cause I don’t care for any of the teams, but Mookie most likely makes that catch if the fan didn’t shut his glove closed.

 

A and C are not correct. B is the only point up for discussion. @SportsCenter twitter account posted a slow motion video of it that clearly shows Betts' glove was closed by contacting a fan and he would have likely caught the ball as it was not past him. The only point of discussion is whether his glove was past the wall or in the field of play.

 

The fan 100% caused Mookie's glove to close. There is no debating that.

 

Now, we can argue whether or not Mookie was over the wall, or the fan was in the field of play, but there is no debate on why/how his glove was closed.

 

I agree with the above. Betts catches that ball if not for the fan interference. I also don't think the ball had crossed over the fence at the time that the fans made contact with Mookie's glove.

 

Could someone post the rule related to fan interference in this situation? I saw it last night after the game and after reading it it made me think it should have been fan interference but I can't relate the specifics here without having the rule right in front of me.

Yep, pretty clear. That said I'm not sure what the call on the field was but IMO whatever it was you can't overturn with replay as it was not clear who was where.

 

The call on the field by Joe West was out because of fan interference.

71A6C568-0FDD-47E0-B5EE-FF4E65DFC608.jpeg

 

You can clearly see the guy in the white is bent over at the waist, over the wall. Then he’s reaching right with his arm extended over the wall. The other two guys are reached out even further. You can also see Mookie isn’t even touching the wall yet. I never thought I’d say this, but Joe West got the call right.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.