Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Worse Than Gay Marriage?

Featured Replies

Are you asking opponents of religious same sex marriage or legal same sex marriage? If somebody opposes same sex marriage from a moral and religious perspective, although I'd disagree, I feel that is well within your rights to do. No religious faith should be compelled to recognize a marriage they deem to be against their beliefs. What I would argue with is when someone opposes same sex marriage from a legal perspective. I would ask those that are against legal same sex marriage, how do you justify not allowing a legal contract between two consenting adults of sound mind? Again, I'm not saying you have to recognize it as a sacrament in your church or a sacred bond with God if you don't believe it is, but from a purely secular and legal point of view how does one oppose it?

  • Replies 33
  • Views 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the Catholic Church (of which I am a member), sins come in two basic types: mortal sins that imperil your soul and venial sins, which are less serious breaches of God’s law. The Church believes that if you commit a mortal sin, you forfeit heaven and opt for hell by your own free will and actions.

 

Three conditions are necessary for mortal sin to exist:

 

Grave Matter: The act itself is intrinsically evil and immoral. For example, murder, rape, incest, perjury, adultery, and so on are grave matter.

 

Full Knowledge: The person must know that what they’re doing or planning to do is evil and immoral. For example, someone steals a postage stamp, thinking that it’s only worth 50 cents. She knows that it’s sinful, but if she’s unaware that the stamp is rare and actually worth a $1,000, she’s not guilty of mortal sin but of venial sin.

 

Deliberate Consent: The person must freely choose to commit the act or plan to do it. Someone forced against her will doesn’t commit a mortal sin. For example, a woman told she’s giving a minor shock to another person who in fact is administering tortuous electrical jolts is not guilty of a mortal sin (although she may feel guilty if she finds out the truth).

 

A mortal sin is the complete turning away from God and embracing something else in place. In regards to Gay Marriage, Infidelity, Divorce and Spousal abuse, it appears to me that all three conditions exist.

 

I have read the entire Bible and have never heard or read anything about this. Where exactly does this come from?

I have read the entire Bible and have never heard or read anything about this. Where exactly does this come from?

 

Much of this teaching comes from the Catechism of the Catholic Church. The Catechism is promulgated for the Catholic Church by Pope John Paul II in 1992. It sums up, in book form, the beliefs of the Catholic faithful.

Much of this teaching comes from the Catechism of the Catholic Church. The Catechism is promulgated for the Catholic Church by Pope John Paul II in 1992. It sums up, in book form, the beliefs of the Catholic faithful.

 

Ok, is this book seen as equal to the Bible?

Ok, is this book seen as equal to the Bible?

 

You are attempting to engage me in a debate that gets into fundamental differences between Catholicism and Protestantism. Such a debate on this website would probably not be a good witness to our brothers and sisters who are non-Christian and possibly searching for Christ themselves. You may or may not know that the Catholic Church accepts both Scripture and Tradition. Here is a link to a very simple explanation of the topic:

 

What is the Catholic catechism?

 

An excerpt from the article that pertains to the topic of this thread:

 

The Catholic Church relies on the authority of church tradition for their source of doctrines and teachings which are not found anywhere in the Bible. These doctrines include such controversial issues as these:

 

• the Mass

• penance

• veneration of Mary

• purgatory

• indulgences

• the priesthood

• the confessional

• the rosary

• venial and mortal sins

@nkypete Ok. I Learned something. I always thought the only differences from a “book” perspective was the apocrypha. I hadn’t heard of the Catheticsm of the Catholic Church.

@nkypete Ok. I Learned something. I always thought the only differences from a “book” perspective was the apocrypha. I hadn’t heard of the Catheticsm of the Catholic Church.

 

I occasionally see a copy at the Goodwill.

Are you asking opponents of religious same sex marriage or legal same sex marriage? If somebody opposes same sex marriage from a moral and religious perspective, although I'd disagree, I feel that is well within your rights to do. No religious faith should be compelled to recognize a marriage they deem to be against their beliefs. What I would argue with is when someone opposes same sex marriage from a legal perspective. I would ask those that are against legal same sex marriage, how do you justify not allowing a legal contract between two consenting adults of sound mind? Again, I'm not saying you have to recognize it as a sacrament in your church or a sacred bond with God if you don't believe it is, but from a purely secular and legal point of view how does one oppose it?

 

This.

 

And you said it better than I would have.

I am for gay marriage. I have a cousin who is gay. He is extremely happy. He acts no different than a straight man, and is a very responsible adult. I find that most Christian males who are "god fearing" have little to zero respect for homosexuals thus becoming hypocrites. Isn't "Love others as you would love yourself"?

 

Spousal abuse should not be tolerated at all.

 

Infidelity while a pretty low move I can see in some instances where it'd be ok.

 

And the divorce law within the Catholic church is about as stupid as it gets. We get married then eventually realize it'd be healthier for both of us to not be together anymore, for whatever reasons. But the all high and mighty Catholic church says "nah baby nah" if you ever want to re-marry in the Catholic church. That's cool I'll just take my collection money and put it in a basket at a non-denominational church. I mean it's the same God right?

 

Question: If we have One All Mighty Supreme Being watching over us all which ones of us are going to hell? I'm assuming we have Catholics, and Christians on this site. How many Denominations are represented? I mean where I live we have Baptists churches, two Methodist churches, two Presbyterian Churches and two Catholic churches.

I find that most Christian males who are "god fearing" have little to zero respect for homosexuals thus becoming hypocrites. Isn't "Love others as you would love yourself"?

 

I see what you're saying but you can't throw a Bible verse out there (Matthew 22:39) and suggest they need to follow it and then be critical when they follow other Bible verses that condemn homosexuality.

 

You do make a pretty good point though on a proper response from the right conservative Christians. While I do not think that hypocrite is the right word to use, Christians should not blatantly disrespect anyone.

Are you asking opponents of religious same sex marriage or legal same sex marriage? If somebody opposes same sex marriage from a moral and religious perspective, although I'd disagree, I feel that is well within your rights to do. No religious faith should be compelled to recognize a marriage they deem to be against their beliefs. What I would argue with is when someone opposes same sex marriage from a legal perspective. I would ask those that are against legal same sex marriage, how do you justify not allowing a legal contract between two consenting adults of sound mind?

 

I think the best answer would be that from their perspective, marriage is a religious institution first. They would claim that marriage was established by God and that man does not have the right to take it over. They would probably say that man can determine the process by which an actual "wedding" is performed but the institution itself is from God and not the government.

Question: If we have One All Mighty Supreme Being watching over us all which ones of us are going to hell? I'm assuming we have Catholics, and Christians on this site. How many Denominations are represented? I mean where I live we have Baptists churches, two Methodist churches, two Presbyterian Churches and two Catholic churches.

 

I don't know that denomination has much to do with it.

 

...if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.... Romans 10

 

...Whosoever believes Him in shall be saved.... John 3

 

... If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins... I John 1

 

I'd say to start there and if you have a Biblical understanding of what it means to confess and believe (faith) - you would would be well on your way... but , I also would not overlook Matthew 7... Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in Heaven.

 

...the name on your church building seems to have little impact

 

Question: If we have One All Mighty Supreme Being watching over us all which ones of us are going to hell?

 

I realize that we are straying from the topic but in answer to this question, Jesus himself said in Mark 16:16 "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

I am for gay marriage. I have a cousin who is gay. He is extremely happy. He acts no different than a straight man, and is a very responsible adult. I find that most Christian males who are "god fearing" have little to zero respect for homosexuals thus becoming hypocrites. Isn't "Love others as you would love yourself"?

 

Spousal abuse should not be tolerated at all.

 

Infidelity while a pretty low move I can see in some instances where it'd be ok.

 

And the divorce law within the Catholic church is about as stupid as it gets. We get married then eventually realize it'd be healthier for both of us to not be together anymore, for whatever reasons. But the all high and mighty Catholic church says "nah baby nah" if you ever want to re-marry in the Catholic church. That's cool I'll just take my collection money and put it in a basket at a non-denominational church. I mean it's the same God right?

 

Question: If we have One All Mighty Supreme Being watching over us all which ones of us are going to hell? I'm assuming we have Catholics, and Christians on this site. How many Denominations are represented? I mean where I live we have Baptists churches, two Methodist churches, two Presbyterian Churches and two Catholic churches.

 

Gosh, if I had a paint brush that broad I could paint my whole house in one stroke.:rolleyes:

Obviously we dont know the same Christian males.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.