Cooper style of play bad for basketball

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish more teams focused more on defense. That isn't to take away from the offensive side of the ball. I have seen too many teams it seems their total focus is offense and they play defense half halfheartedly. I love seeing hard gritty defenses balances with fast paced fundamental offense.

Cooper is actually 7th in the 9th Region in scoring, 2nd in defensive scoring, and 1st in point differential. This isn't "bad basketball". I think you could argue Ryle is playing "bad basketball". They are 16th in scoring, 10th in defensive scoring, and 16th in point differential. I point them out because they have 1800 students and are having problems finding basketball players compared to Cooper who is right down the road and roughly only 1200 students.

Who knew playing defense was bad for basketball..... O all those NBA lovers think it!

The biggest misconception in sport is they don't play defense in the NBA. They play great defense. The worst NBA team will shut down the best D-1 team defensively. Very few NCAA playerswould be able to get their shot off or establish position on the blocks.

NBA players are a different level offensively, also.

You especially notce it when you see a game live.

But that should be another thread.

Last year Cooper had 2 very good offensive players in Kunkel and McNeil. Most high school teams would be very lucky to have 2 players with their offensive abilities. Also, several other kids on the team could score the ball. Their coach, who does a great job, just seems to be more comfortable playing a game with limited possessions. I don't think any coach would say Cooper's defense, offensive execution, hustle etc. is bad for the game!! The coach in question was frustrated Cooper didn't want to play up tempo with his team but he knew going in what Cooper was going to do and should have adjusted his game plan!

Agree with your comments. Last year Cooper did have two great scorers but McNeil missed nearly a third of those games so other players stepped up their games and scored a little more and did more on defense to get Cooper to the State Championship. The Jags just do things differently and most of time it works for them to at a minimum keep them in games when they are out-manned which, at least for me, is fun to watch.

The biggest misconception in sport is they don't play defense in the NBA. They play great defense. The worst NBA team will shut down the best D-1 team defensively. Very few NCAA playerswould be able to get their shot off or establish position on the blocks.

Agree. I thought the same thing until I started going to games. They are so skilled offensively.

Guess I should go to a game......Watching on TV I see a ton of standing around.....

Get 'em.

This was a terrible headline. If you read the article it mentions a school from out of state that they played at Lexington Catholic said the style was bad basketball. Nobody in the state of Kentucky that has any sense thinks that way. I've never met a coach or fan that thinks Cooper is bad for basketball. The article should've had a different headline.

Sorry about this thread's headline. A redo would have been......Cooper style of play "bad for basketball"? I totally disagreed that it is bad for basketball, but maybe didn't make myself clear.

Sorry about this thread's headline. A redo would have been......Cooper style of play "bad for basketball"? I totally disagreed that it is bad for basketball, but maybe didn't make myself clear.

I don't mean your headline I mean the one the writer of the article in the Herald Leader used. I know you were just posting the article. A better headline could've been used by Josh Moore when he wrote the story, but like I said, click bait for him. Notorious with him.

I agree, if you go watch the game on NHFS network, you will see why the Jags beat this team. They were long and athletic, but they could not guard. That's why when the Jags attacked the rim, they scored and/or drew fouls. Also, amazing how a simple ball/shot fake got them in the air and the jags exploited this. That team was taken out of their comfort zone and could not adjust. Hacking and being physical did not intimidate the jags. Fundamentals, execution, toughness and superior coaching made the difference. Personally, the "style" of play I like in any sport is a ""winning" one! #keepdoingyou