October 14, 200619 yr I get the feeling we're in for a busy winter, so maybe this will be the best way to keep the info in one place. The Reds made an acquisition on Friday when they brought utility player Jerry Gil over from the Diamondbacks for Minor League reliever Abe Woody. Gil, who turns 24 on Saturday, was added to Cincinnati's 40-man roster. He batted .256 in 128 games combined at Double-A Tennessee and Triple-A Tucson this season, with 27 home runs and 89 RBIs. The only Major League experience for Gil came during 29 games for Arizona in 2004, when he batted .174. Coincidentally, his big-league debut came against the Reds, and he singled in his first plate appearance off Brandon Claussen. He also played under Reds assistant general manager Bob Miller, who used to work in the Diamondbacks' front office. Although he has a history of struggling offensively, Gil is considered to be a good fielder at shortstop with a strong arm. After missing most of 2005 with a knee injury, he started playing outfield in 2006 to improve his versatility. At Spring Training this year, he was one of the final cuts from camp despite hitting .385 with five homers. Woody, a 23-year-old right-hander, was 5-5 with a 2.92 ERA in 49 appearances this season for Class A Sarasota. He was the Reds' 31st-round draft pick in 2005. In other news, the Reds sent infielder Trevor Lawhorn to the Blue Jays as the player to be named in the Aug. 16 deal that brought lefty reliever Scott Schoeneweis to Cincinnati. The 23-year-old Lawhorn batted .224 with four homers and 28 RBIs in 91 games for the Florida State League Reds. Also, Ronnie Ortegon was named the Reds' new Minor League hitting coordinator. Ortegon spent the last two seasons as a coach with the Rangers' Double-A affiliate in Frisco. From 2002-04, he coached in the Phillies' system. http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061013&content_id=1711377&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin
October 15, 200619 yr HSSRB told me back in August that he doesn't think Dunn will be back next year. I was hestitant to belive him. After reading Krivsky's comments this morning, I'm now thinking HSSRB is likely to be correct.
October 15, 200619 yr Author HSSRB told me back in August that he doesn't think Dunn will be back next year. I was hestitant to belive him. After reading Krivsky's comments this morning, I'm now thinking HSSRB is likely to be correct. Ditto...
October 15, 200619 yr HSSRB told me back in August that he doesn't think Dunn will be back next year. I was hestitant to belive him. After reading Krivsky's comments this morning, I'm now thinking HSSRB is likely to be correct. What did he say?
October 15, 200619 yr Author What did he say? "I don't like strikeouts," Krivsky said. "I'd give up home runs for fewer strikeouts."
October 15, 200619 yr "I don't like strikeouts," Krivsky said. "I'd give up home runs for fewer strikeouts." ...and I think he made a comment about defense as well.
October 15, 200619 yr Author "It's about scoring runs and preventing runs. The defense has to get better."
October 15, 200619 yr Author The Reds will resemble the Minnesota Twins soon. Best news from this franchise in a long time...
October 15, 200619 yr The Reds will resemble the Minnesota Twins soon. I hope so....Dunn needs to take his lazy butt somewhere else...
October 15, 200619 yr Should the Reds decide to trade Dunn, they had better have some sort of power replacement for him. I'm not talking 40 HRs. I'm talking 20 to 25. Without him and assuming Griffey is Griffey, its down to Edwin as far as power. The Reds cannot play in GABP and be the 1982 Cardinals. Trading Dunn is not a panacea.
October 15, 200619 yr Should the Reds decide to trade Dunn, they had better have some sort of power replacement for him. I'm not talking 40 HRs. I'm talking 20 to 25. Without him and assuming Griffey is Griffey, its down to Edwin as far as power. The Reds cannot play in GABP and be the 1982 Cardinals. Trading Dunn is not a panacea. I agree that trading Dunn is not a remedy for all that needs fixing for the Reds, but if you can shore up two or three of your problem areas, such as defensive play and better pitching, and take the 11 millons dollars you were going to spend on Dunn and spend it on more pitching, then it might not be a bad idea. As far as power goes, I think the Tigers have shown it is overrated.
October 15, 200619 yr As far as power goes, I think the Tigers have shown it is overrated. The Tigers team is suited to their mammoth ballpark. The Reds have to structure a team that can take advantage of 81 games in a hitter-friendly ballpark. I'm all for a Dunn-for-pitching trade. However, I think many of us are overestimating what type of pitching will come in a trade. So, can we use the $10.5M to get strong pitching? Who is on the FA market?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.