Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Track The Reds- Hot Stove Edition

Featured Replies

Reds have signed Mike Stanton to a two-year deal

 

LINK

I'm assuming Stanton is affordable, otherwise I don't understand this acquisition.

 

He's 39 and in my opinion, been floating around hanging on. Not the answer to the pitching woes or bullpen. Package him, for starters....

  • Replies 118
  • Views 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Reds were close to an agreement with Boston SS Alex Gonzalez, who hit .255 with nine homers for Boston last season.

 

 

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061120/SPT04/311200017/1071

 

So, Gonzalez is a career .246 hitter at a possible $15 million, 3-year deal, a cool $5 million a year. The Reds already have a light-hitting SS named Juan Castro, who hits for a career average of .233 at $1 million per year. :confused:

 

Go after Shannon Stewart for RF...Go after some starting pitching...Move Phillips to SS and trade for Marcus Giles.

The Reds were close to an agreement with Boston SS Alex Gonzalez, who hit .255 with nine homers for Boston last season.

 

 

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061120/SPT04/311200017/1071

 

So, Gonzalez is a career .246 hitter at a possible $15 million, 3-year deal, a cool $5 million a year. The Reds already have a light-hitting SS named Juan Castro, who hits for a career average of .233 at $1 million per year. :confused:

 

Go after Shannon Stewart for RF...Go after some starting pitching...Move Phillips to SS and trade for Marcus Giles.

Stewart's salary is $6.5 mil and I know he's from Cincinnati but his OBP% is too low for me.

 

His lifetime batting avg., is near .300 but Stewart doesn't offer a lot of power or size, for the Reds.

Stewart's salary is $6.5 mil and I know he's from Cincinnati but his OBP% is too low for me.

 

His lifetime batting avg., is near .300 but Stewart doesn't offer a lot of power or size, for the Reds.

 

So you would rather spend that kind of money on a light weight like Gonzalez?

So you would rather spend that kind of money on a light weight like Gonzalez?
No, acquiring Gonzalez is not the answer for the Reds.

 

I'll say this, Krvisky is the GM and he and Narron, should know the inter-workings of this team, better than any of us but I can't understand for the life of me, how Starting Pitching is not the "priority" for the Reds.

 

I realize Harang has filed and perhaps, can be resigned later but the Reds will NOT contend, until they get consistent starting MLB pitchers....too many middle relievers, in declining years and too many overpaid veterans, who are locking up money for signing/contracts, is the biggest problem.

 

Gonzalez, does not help this team in the critical needs department, is just my opinion.

  • Author
No, acquiring Gonzalez is not the answer for the Reds.

 

I'll say this, Krvisky is the GM and he and Narron, should know the inter-workings of this team, better than any of us but I can't understand for the life of me, how Starting Pitching is not the "priority" for the Reds.

 

I realize Harang has filed and perhaps, can be resigned later but the Reds will NOT contend, until they get consistent starting MLB pitchers....too many middle relievers, in declining years and too many overpaid veterans, who are locking up money for signing/contracts, is the biggest problem.

 

Gonzalez, does not help this team in the critical needs department, is just my opinion.

So, let's hear who you want that's out there. Pitching is a thin market, and you're going to over pay BIG TIME to get it...

So, let's hear who you want that's out there. Pitching is a thin market, and you're going to over pay BIG TIME to get it...
Show me a list of free-agents and I'll give you names.

 

I was also wanting a trade during last year, to avoid over paying for overpriced free-agents and said so, every time I could.

 

Has to be a sinker ball, or cutter type pitcher, who has a combination of offspeed stuff and not flyball pitchers, because GABP turns FB's into HR's.

 

Jason Schmidt

Roy Oswalt

Barry Zito

Kevin Millwood

Derek Lowe

Matt Morris - left Cards for Giants

  • Author
Show me a list of free-agents and I'll give you names.

 

I was also wanting a trade during last year, to avoid over paying for overpriced free-agents and said so, every time I could.

 

Has to be a sinker ball, or cutter type pitcher, who has a combination of offspeed stuff and not flyball pitchers, because GABP turns FB's into HR's.

 

Jason Schmidt

Roy Oswalt

Barry Zito

http://www.mlb4u.com/freeagency.php?field=position

 

Good luck. Remember Zito and Schmidt are not going to be an option. No way they can match the going rate...

http://www.mlb4u.com/freeagency.php?field=position

 

Good luck. Remember Zito and Schmidt are not going to be an option. No way they can match the going rate...

Partly because, they have so much money locked up into guys who "aren't quality MLB pitchers" and overpaid, position players.

 

I'll look through this list and give my names....You're 100% right GT, not a lot of Free-Agents, that are available and affordable, which is exactly why I was saying, the Reds needed to make a move last year.

 

Here are some names, off the list provided that I "believe", would help the Reds more than some of the current starters they have:

 

Mark Mulder

Shawn Estes

Jason Marquis

Mike Mussina

Aaron Sele

Woody Williams

....hope Harang can return

 

Will they cost money....YES, but signing average middle relievers to follow below average starting pitching, is not going to work and didn't last year.

Zito has a phenomenal hammer, but pitches up in the zone, poor investment if half of his starts are in GASP. Next,,,,,,,

Zito has a phenomenal hammer, but pitches up in the zone, poor investment if half of his starts are in GASP. Next,,,,,,,
Don't agree, since often times moving from one league to the other, is an adjustment on the hitters and not the pitcher.

 

I'd take Zito, over any starting pitcher the Reds currently have....

  • Author

Where are you getting that Harang might not return? It's his last year of arbitration...

Where are you getting that Harang might not return? It's his last year of arbitration...
I thought he opted for free-agency?
  • Author
I thought he opted for free-agency?

Did you see him on the list at the link above??? ;)

Don't agree, since often times moving from one league to the other, is an adjustment on the hitters and not the pitcher.

 

I'd take Zito, over any starting pitcher the Reds currently have....

I respectfully disagree, I'd guess Harang would/will have a lower ERA than Zito in a Reds uni. When he gets hurt, it's up in the zone. We had a link not long ago in this forum that stated his poor HR #'s which would no doubt increase in Cincy. And if I were holding the wallet, I could find a better avenue to spend that capital. I'm not arguing that Zito would not be a wonderful addition, just not for the $ he'll command. He doesn't fit your sinkerball profile either!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.