Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Close, but no cigar

Featured Replies

What was the best senior class that should have won state but fell short in the playoffs ?woulda, shoulda, coulda. I can remember the Saint x team that beat Trinity something like 42-6 during the regular season, then lost to Trinity in the state final.

Edited by Sinbad 74
Too short

  • Replies 51
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the best regardless of class... but the 2007 Belfry team ran roughshod throughout the year in Class 3A and was one game away from being Haywood's only undefeated team.

 

They were playing a 5-loss Louisville Central team that had been beaten soundly by a Johnson Central team Belfry beat by 2 TD's. Between overlooking Central a bit and some disciplinary distractions that hurt focus, Belfry wound up losing 27-17 in a game that they were actually driving for the winning score under two minutes and fumbled in the redzone. With no way to stop the clock Belfry played for the strip and Central sealed the game with a long TD run.

2005 Newport was a team that should have.

 

Is that the year 2A (I mean 5A) Mercer came in to Newport and barely got out with the win?

Is that the year 2A (I mean 5A) Mercer came in to Newport and barely got out with the win?

 

Looks like Newport lost to Russell in the Semi-Finals by one point.

 

They lost by 7 to Mercer County in the regular season but 2005 was the year that Owensboro Catholic was beaten by Russell for the State Title.

 

Newport 2

Speaking of Newport, what about the 1985 Newport team?

Looks like Newport lost to Russell in the Semi-Finals by one point.

 

They lost by 7 to Mercer County in the regular season but 2005 was the year that Owensboro Catholic was beaten by Russell for the State Title.

 

Newport 25 Kentucky High School Football

 

(Side note: 2006 was the year Mercer County Titans won the AA Title. They did beat Newport in the 2nd round of the playoffs by 43-7.)

 

I guess I was wrong about the "barely" part. I went to the Newport/Mercer game and I thought I remembered the game being much closer than the score. I remember the Mercer fans coming on here claiming there was a new king in 5A too.

John Hardin 2005 lost to st x by 1pt and I fell like every class from 07 through 13 was good enough to win it all just couldn’t get over that bowling green hump

Boyle County in 2008 had a fantastic team that fell 2 points short to Bell County in the state semi finals. Boyle County throttled pretty much every team that year leading up to the showdown on Pine Mountain. Boyle County turned the ball over 5-6 times and still had an opportunity to win it at the end. Bell County prevails and goes on to win the state title. One of the better games I remember going too.

Somerset in 09 and 10 went 27-2 with a loss in the finals and semifinals. Both teams were good enough to get there and especially in 09 should have won the title.

 

Somerset 82, I think at one point was the #1 ranked team in the entire state (not county Jefferson County which was separate then I believe) lost on the road by one point (in a very controversial game) in regular season and that kept them out of the playoffs. Defeated that seasons State Champs handily on the road...but sat home come playoff season as only 1 team per district went to playoffs back then. Probably the best team in school history.

 

Somerset 83, had the go ahead Touchdown taken off the board late in the state finals by a penalty.

 

Somerset should be the Cigar King, been to the finals more times without winning a title than any team in the state.

1993 Danville belongs in this conversation too.

1989 duPont Manual 13-0 playing Trinity 13-0

2012 State Semi-final game between John Hardin and Bowling Green. Both came into this game undefeated. John dominated this game until the final minutes of the 4th quarter when Bowling Green scored on a hook and ladder on 4th and 15 from its own 35 yard line and then converted the 2 point conversion to win 14-13.

2013 Wayne County

14-1. Lost to Belfry 3-0 in championship game.

Somerset in 09 and 10 went 27-2 with a loss in the finals and semifinals. Both teams were good enough to get there and especially in 09 should have won the title.

 

Somerset 82, I think at one point was the #1 ranked team in the entire state (not county Jefferson County which was separate then I believe) lost on the road by one point (in a very controversial game) in regular season and that kept them out of the playoffs. Defeated that seasons State Champs handily on the road...but sat home come playoff season as only 1 team per district went to playoffs back then. Probably the best team in school history.

 

Somerset 83, had the go ahead Touchdown taken off the board late in the state finals by a penalty.

 

Somerset should be the Cigar King, been to the finals more times without winning a title than any team in the state.

 

1982 Somerset would have won the title if they had beaten Boyle.

 

Just curious, what is the "controversial" part of that loss? I know I look at it with a different shade than jumper fans but don't really recall controversy. Boyle played the perfect "big play" game to win. Returned a KO for a TD, completed a long pass for one and maybe a punt return too if I recall. Somerset, if I remember correctly, were only stopped by their own turnovers that night. About four I think. Well, they were stopped on the 2 point play which Cain should have given the ball to Stephens. He only had about 200 yards rushing that night.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.