Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is This Blocked Kick Illegal?

Featured Replies

I do believe this is a college rule violation but not sure on NFHS.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't look like he touched anyone on the play, and I've never heard of any "hurdling" rule.

Under 2006 NFHS Rule 2 Section 21

HURDLING

Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet.

 

 

so therfore on this play it is NOT Hurdling. The center has both feet on the ground and his left hand is also on the ground when the opponent jumped over him.

the key is that his HAND was also touching the ground.

 

It doesn't look like he stepped on the centers back.

I am under the impression that the center can not be touch i.e. stepped on or walk over the top of. To me it looked as he used the center as a step stool to get to the kicker.

 

If you look very close and pause the play he does not touch the center's back

he jumps right over him

NO he does not touch he gathers his feet while in the air and sort of gives the illusion that he touched. Your right i paused it and it is alot clearer.

I thought it would only be illegal if another defensive player assisted the person over the center to block the kick. As far as I know and my opinion only this is not illegal and the block is good. Pretty amazing I would give it to him for effort alone. JD

  • Author
Under 2006 NFHS Rule 2 Section 21

HURDLING

Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet.

 

 

so therfore on this play it is NOT Hurdling. The center has both feet on the ground and his left hand is also on the ground when the opponent jumped over him.

the key is that his HAND was also touching the ground.

 

It doesn't look like he stepped on the centers back.

 

 

I'm not sure if his the center's hand was on the ground. Its not likely IMO and you can't see that it is. Bend over and simulate a two-handed snap. Your hands never touch the ground. You snap then stand up and block.

Using another player to jump and block is illegal it is a 15 yarder.

I thought this rule only applied if you used players from your team to jump.

I thought this rule only applied if you used players from your team to jump.

This is also my understanding

Casey Earls of Middlesboro does that all the time.

 

Many times in the past he's jumped over the center and blocked the extra point.

 

Just about had one last week against Corbin.

That is true that kid is a real athlete. I remember seeing that. I thought he was going to get it.

I know that the Earls boy for Middlesboro did it last year at least 3 or 4 times and all of the plays stood!

I'm not sure if his the center's hand was on the ground. Its not likely IMO and you can't see that it is. Bend over and simulate a two-handed snap. Your hands never touch the ground. You snap then stand up and block.

 

If you pause the play at the right time you can see his left hand on the ground.

Immmmpressive....Obi-Wan has taught you well....

I'm not sure if his the center's hand was on the ground. Its not likely IMO and you can't see that it is. Bend over and simulate a two-handed snap. Your hands never touch the ground. You snap then stand up and block.

 

 

I am very sure it is on the ground. Look at the video again. And about the simulated snap yeah in a normal situation you would stand up and block, but because he didn't stand up immediately he needed his hand on the ground to stabalize him or else he would've fallen over. Its science....

 

 

Also about him stepping on the centers back, if you look at the video and watch the centers back instead of the kid who blocked it its foot you see that his back does not move therefore there can't be any contact or any push from the kid who blocked it. If someone steps on your back you will move at least a little bit. Its also science....

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.