Could Kentucky be next?

ACfan4

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a rhetorical question?

Yes, I honestly think it. It happens. Yes, shoe companies have a TON of influence on these kids through their sponsored AAU programs, and yes, they funnel kids to the schools they invest the most money in. Yes. All of the time, yes. Again, most is done to serve themselves, they want UK to be high profile and win for themselves, not because of some altruistic joy in seeing BBN dance through the streets of Pikeville. They also want Johnny Jumphigh to sign with them after college, and he likely gets drafted higher going to UK, so, ergo, let's funnel him to Lexington. Or Durham. Or Lawrence. Again, this isn't about a LOT of kids, but it is about 100% of the best kids.

IMO the money exchanging in Lexington, Durham, Lawrence, or even Chapel Hill takes place in a different manner than it did at those caught this week. There’s other ways around it than just funneling money, you can have financial aid kick back from phony non-University funded scholarships or god knows what else.

There’s more than one way to get the athletes the money, only time will tell how they did it.

Matt Jones on KSR:

"I'm not worried about Coach Calipari. He's a smart guy, but he's not smarter than every journalist out there, the NCAA, and the FBI. Everybody wants to get Cal. He's like Clinton, no he's like Trump. Everyone wants to get him on something. Everyone wants to find something but maybe there's actually nothing for them to get".

"Everyone has been trying to get Calipari for 8 years and they have nothing".

"If Kentucky ever does get in trouble, it won't be because of World Wide Wes. I would be shocked. Do you not think if the NCAA could get us in trouble for WWW, we'd already be caught. Do you think he'd be sitting court side every game if Kentucky was worried about being caught. He's the most scrutinized person in college bball".

"Don't let other people convince you we are cheating. Don't have a guilty complex".

Which is either dead on or he's gonna look real dumb down the road lol.

Matt Jones on KSR:

"I'm not worried about Coach Calipari. He's a smart guy, but he's not smarter than every journalist out there, the NCAA, and the FBI. Everybody wants to get Cal. He's like Clinton, no he's like Trump. Everyone wants to get him on something. Everyone wants to find something but maybe there's actually nothing for them to get".

"Everyone has been trying to get Calipari for 8 years and they have nothing".

"If Kentucky ever does get in trouble, it won't be because of World Wide Wes. I would be shocked. Do you not think if the NCAA could get us in trouble for WWW, we'd already be caught. Do you think he'd be sitting court side every game if Kentucky was worried about being caught. He's the most scrutinized person in college bball".

"Don't let other people convince you we are cheating. Don't have a guilty complex".

Which is either dead on or he's gonna look real dumb down the road lol.

He once made an infamous KSR post when Cal was at Memphis, talking about how dirty he was. He has addressed it before on his show and on the site.

While I understand his logic, I don't agree with it. I would counter with the fact that we know other bluebloods have been cheating. Kansas has been slapped on the wrists. North Carolina has the academic fraud, even though nothing will come of it. The NCAA also looked the other way on Duke/Coach K with Myron Piggie/Corey Maggette, but that was crooked. Syracuse got probation. Louisville is about to get walloped. Indiana and Kelvin Sampson. Arizona now.

These things are all in the last ten or fifteen years, and there are a host of others.

IMO the money exchanging in Lexington, Durham, Lawrence, or even Chapel Hill takes place in a different manner than it did at those caught this week. There’s other ways around it than just funneling money, you can have financial aid kick back from phony non-University funded scholarships or god knows what else.

There’s more than one way to get the athletes the money, only time will tell how they did it.

The financial aid kickback scheme you talk about and any other institutionally connected scheme would be much worse than shoe companies funneling money to players outside of the purview of the schools. It also would be much more difficult to pull off and keep quiet. With this shoe company deal it gives coaches an opportunity to turn a blind eye, tell them they don't want to know so they can somewhat legitimately claim ignorance later and keep everything at arm's length so they don't get dirty if things go down like they are now.

The financial aid kickback scheme you talk about and any other institutionally connected scheme would be much worse than shoe companies funneling money to players outside of the purview of the schools. It also would be much more difficult to pull off and keep quiet. With this shoe company deal it gives coaches an opportunity to turn a blind eye, tell them they don't want to know so they can somewhat legitimately claim ignorance later and keep everything at arm's length so they don't get dirty if things go down like they are now.

If it does come out that UK has any involvement with Nike or anything, let's hope that Calipari has his tracks covered. I'm assuming he's smart enough to do so, but UK fans will be eating their words for sometime if it does come out.

I think Coach Cal and all the other coaches are going to be able to claim ignorance because of the way these deals have been run. They are only going to get caught if they got more involved than they really needed to. Have we seen any other coaches at the other five schools revealed so far get canned yet? The only reason Pitino is gone because UL was on probation.

I think Coach Cal and all the other coaches are going to be able to claim ignorance because of the way these deals have been run. They are only going to get caught if they got more involved than they really needed to. Have we seen any other coaches at the other five schools revealed so far get canned yet? The only reason Pitino is gone because UL was on probation.

Not exactly, reports are saying Pitino was Coach 2 therefore he had direct knowledge and involvement.

It w ould be really easy for the head coaches to keep their distance from this. Coach Cal gets a call from WWW who tells him he needs to focus on recruiting these 10 kids so Coach Cal goes after those 10. Cal walks in kids living room and they start talking about money and all he has to say is I have nothing to do with that and will not participate in it. All the money stuff gets worked out by the shoe companies, advisors, the recruits and their families without Cal even needing to know what the deal is.

Not exactly, reports are saying Pitino was Coach 2 therefore he had direct knowledge and involvement.

From what I have read so far there is nothing in the coach 2 information released that proves coach 2 had direct knowledge of the money. Phone calls from the Adidas rep don't prove anything. Those calls could have been the rep telling Pitino that Bowen is going to sign with UL and is he okay with Bowen coming on board. Pitino doesn't have to know one thing about the money and it doesn't have to be shared with him in those phone conversations.

Is there anything released so far where it directly and specifically says coach 2 knew about the money?

He once made an infamous KSR post when Cal was at Memphis, talking about how dirty he was. He has addressed it before on his show and on the site.

While I understand his logic, I don't agree with it. I would counter with the fact that we know other bluebloods have been cheating. Kansas has been slapped on the wrists. North Carolina has the academic fraud, even though nothing will come of it. The NCAA also looked the other way on Duke/Coach K with Myron Piggie/Corey Maggette, but that was crooked. Syracuse got probation. Louisville is about to get walloped. Indiana and Kelvin Sampson. Arizona now.

These things are all in the last ten or fifteen years, and there are a host of others.

Yeah, I definitely don't know how much I agree with everything that Matt said. Was more just trying to share information.

I will say that one thing that he just said that I do totally agree with, "I'm not going to sit here and worry about it because if they did, I can't do anything about it anyway. I'll start worrying when they show us something that implicates them". Again, paraphrasing.

I will say that one thing that he just said that I do totally agree with, "I'm not going to sit here and worry about it because if they did, I can't do anything about it anyway. I'll start worrying when they show us something that implicates them". Again, paraphrasing.

Same here.

I look at it like this: I wanted Calipari as our Coach when we hired Billy G. I wanted him again when we canned Billy G. I'm glad we got him and I'm glad he's still our coach, and I hope he's our coach five years from now. But I also know what we've got with him and his checkered past. In other words, we knew the risk we were taking when he came, so we have to be willing to live with whatever consequences there might be. We've taken all the good Calipari has brought, and we just might have to take the bad too.

I hope it doesn't come to that, but if it does, it does.

Gotta be a lot of smiles in Chapel Hill on this (assuming they are not entangled). This will provide cover until Roy retires.

North Carolina is slicker than the Teflon Don boss.

Athletes taking fake classes resulting in fake grades, which should mean once discovered the grades and classes should be ruled null and void and the athletes ruled ineligible, if the UNC people had any ethics and and pride with their academic tradition. But nope. The NCAA claims they don't have control over classes and grades, that it's up to the institution to handle that sort of thing. They hammer everyone else but allow UNC to slip through the cracks without much damage, and then to compound the issue make sure they win a national championship by officials giving them more breaks and calls in three of their games than any national title winner has ever received in college basketball history.

UNC is not worried the least about this FBI sting, lol. Not from the NCAA people anyway, regardless if something were to show up.

And I forgot to mention, ......I don't like the Tar Heels. :puke:

From what I have read so far there is nothing in the coach 2 information released that proves coach 2 had direct knowledge of the money. Phone calls from the Adidas rep don't prove anything. Those calls could have been the rep telling Pitino that Bowen is going to sign with UL and is he okay with Bowen coming on board. Pitino doesn't have to know one thing about the money and it doesn't have to be shared with him in those phone conversations.

Is there anything released so far where it directly and specifically says coach 2 knew about the money?

Before anyone follows up on this post in this thread, UKMF posted some info in another thread showing that Pitino appears to have knowledge of the money and was involved in the process.