Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Most Important Bourbons Ever Made

Featured Replies

That's a pretty darn solid who's-who in the bourbon world. I personally have 3 of the top 5 in my liquor cabinet at all times (Makers, Blanton's, and Old Forester). Old Fo is my all around go-to.

My house bourbon came in at 17, OGD Bonded, I prefer high rye. Jim Beam 4 at #12, what a joke, way too young and immature but so popular. After reading this list, I think after reading this I want to try Booker's again.

Well, the very first bourbon made is probably the MOST important. So, tell us how it tasted @mcpapa.

I see my "buy as cheap a bottle as possible" choice of Rebel Yell didn't make the list. :lol2:

Not a bourbon drinker, but am familiar with many of these labels, even if just by posts on here about some of them. I also live about one mile and about 3 1/2 miles from two of the distilleries on this list (Wild Turkey and Four Roses) and am friends with several employees of each. Have also worked closely with Makers Mark in the past through work.

 

With all that said, though not surprised Makers made the list, I am very surprised it made it at #1 and is considered, by this poll, to be the most important bourbon. I definitely would not have guessed that.

I see my "buy as cheap a bottle as possible" choice of Rebel Yell didn't make the list. :lol2:

 

If you're very brave, Kentucky Gentleman can be found for $1-2 less.:woot:

  • Author
My house bourbon came in at 17, OGD Bonded, I prefer high rye. Jim Beam 4 at #12, what a joke, way too young and immature but so popular. After reading this list, I think after reading this I want to try Booker's again.

 

I don't think they discuss taste in the survey, just "historical significance" of the 25 listed.

 

And Booker's is special. Very good point about Booker Noe in the text.

Not a bourbon drinker, but am familiar with many of these labels, even if just by posts on here about some of them. I also live about one mile and about 3 1/2 miles from two of the distilleries on this list (Wild Turkey and Four Roses) and am friends with several employees of each. Have also worked closely with Makers Mark in the past through work.

 

With all that said, though not surprised Makers made the list, I am very surprised it made it at #1 and is considered, by this poll, to be the most important bourbon. I definitely would not have guessed that.

 

I think many would argue that Makers kick started the resurgence of bourbon after the dark days of vodka dominance (never understood the popularity of that stuff) in the late 70's and 80's. Maker's creative and quirky advertising brought interest back to bourbon and more importantly quality bourbon and that lead to where we are today and hopefully long into the future.

If you're very brave, Kentucky Gentleman can be found for $1-2 less.:woot:

 

Was my college go-to.

Was my college go-to.

 

Preach! The cornerstone of every college man's food pyramid. ;)

 

Sweets - Peach schnapps.

Dairy - Cheese Whiz. / Meat - Finke's goetta

Fruit - Grape jelly / Veggies - Wait, wha... Ketchup?

Grains - Bourbon, Wiedemann's, and Wonder Bread.

 

I occasionally tend bar for a good caterer. The gentlemen always gravitate towards the Bourbon selection. Many are very curious about what's "hot." Keeps me on my toes. Boss's well is Maker's; a great start.

 

Proud of our native distillers.

Edited by Runcible Owl

I see my "buy as cheap a bottle as possible" choice of Rebel Yell didn't make the list. :lol2:

 

I love Rebel Yell. I picked up a bottle when browsing through the bourbons at a Publix Liquors a couple of months ago. I saw $16 and thought, "What the hay. Worst case, we could use it for a mixer at our next party." I was pleasantly surprised. When I'm in the mood for a light bourbon, that's my go to, now.

If you're very brave, Kentucky Gentleman can be found for $1-2 less.:woot:

 

I'll have to look for that. :lol2:. A good friend of mine is in the Bourbon Women. I am so afraid to order a bourbon drink around her. :lol2:

I love Rebel Yell. I picked up a bottle when browsing through the bourbons at a Publix Liquors a couple of months ago. I saw $16 and thought, "What the hay. Worst case, we could use it for a mixer at our next party." I was pleasantly surprised. When I'm in the mood for a light bourbon, that's my go to, now.

 

Well, now this makes me feel better! I got it for making Irish coffee. It didn't make sense to pay out the nose when I was mixing it. But, what do I know? :lol2:. Maybe you should be worried, though. :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.