Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If you could have one Freshman return

Which Freshman would you want back? 42 members have voted

  1. 1. Which Freshman would you want back?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

No issue with taking Fox over Monk. He's the better player. Monk fills the biggest void for next year's team though.

 

I'm just baffled anyone would say he didn't improve. He improved in every aspect and by quite a large margin.

 

I am saying I wanted much more improvement from him. His improvement was no where near what it should have been. I think he could have improved much more. He is probably the most talented player on UK's team and he was benched in a tournament game for lack of defense - twice. That should not happen.

  • Replies 34
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monk - He has the one thing you need. Interior play will be deep so I am confident that wont be an issue. I would gamble with Quade and Monk over Fox and Diallo.

Fox has been one of my favorite players we've had since Cal has been here, he played the game clean and played it right.

 

Monk was very good when he was on, but when he wasn't it was better to have Hawkins in the game. I agree to all the things that were mentioned about Monk improving very little.

Fox would be the best PG in college basketball next year, so I'd take him in a heartbeat.

No issue with taking Fox over Monk. He's the better player. Monk fills the biggest void for next year's team though.

 

I'm just baffled anyone would say he didn't improve. He improved in every aspect and by quite a large margin.

I keep Fox hands down.

Monk's effort on the defensive end improved. Offensively he certainly didn't improve. Pretty much struggled offensively the last 8 games.

  • Author

I agree with UKMF and Oldbird in that I believe Monk's skil set is what Kentucky needs most on next year's team.

I keep Fox hands down.

Monk's effort on the defensive end improved. Offensively he certainly didn't improve. Pretty much struggled offensively the last 8 games.

 

We'll have to disagree. He absolutely was in a slump at the end, but that doesn't have anything to do with improvement. Scorers go through tough stretches.

 

To me, his improvement on that end was fully on display in his shot selection, his movement, and his attitude. He wasn't hitting, but he wasn't forcing everything like he did early in the season. He wasn't stagnate, he was constantly in motion and he was always engaged on that end, regardless of whether he was hitting or not.

 

To me that's a huge improvement from where he was in December.

I began looking for the Fox button in the poll as soon as the thread began to open. Without hesitation I'd take Fox.

We'll have to disagree. He absolutely was in a slump at the end, but that doesn't have anything to do with improvement. Scorers go through tough stretches.

 

To me, his improvement on that end was fully on display in his shot selection, his movement, and his attitude. He wasn't hitting, but he wasn't forcing everything like he did early in the season. He wasn't stagnate, he was constantly in motion and he was always engaged on that end, regardless of whether he was hitting or not.

 

To me that's a huge improvement from where he was in December.

 

I really don't think most of us can comprehend the energy that is exerted playing defense at this level. The harder you play defense, the less leg strength you have to shoot the basketball. This is particularly tough on freshman who just don't have the strength and stamina. I believe this is what caused Monk's shooting to suffer. He needs time to mature.I wish they were all back next season.

I just realized how little we return in the back court and/or have coming in. I change my vote. I want Fox back.

  • Author
I just realized how little we return in the back court and/or have coming in. I change my vote. I want Fox back.

 

But we have a very good PG coming in next year. We don't have a shooter.

But we have a very good PG coming in next year. We don't have a shooter.

 

I figured Fox could tutor the new PG and together they could drive and feed the beasts down low.

Observation. The same way you came to your conclusion.

 

Monk's offensive game evolved very little. He is a great shooter. He improved very little in other aspects offensively. He was not any better putting it on the floor and attacking. He is a great shooter.

 

Monk also is an incredible athlete. At the end of the season he was being taken out of games due to poor defense. Yes, he was slightly better defensively at the end of the year than at the start. He is pathetic rebounding the ball considering his tremendous leaping ability and size. He is not a good passer. All these items tell me he is not focused. He does not have focus and intensity.

 

Incredible shooter. Underperformer in almost all other areas. Lack of focus. I take the guys with intensity and focus over Monk, even if he is an incredible athlete and shooter.

 

I see what you are saying. However when teams game planned for UK. Monk not fox was the one teams focused on stopping. Monk moved non stop on offense working to get open. However teams had almost every guy on defense keeping an eye on him, chipping him, bumping him doubling him off screens. Teams at the end of the year were determined to not let Monk get going. Which in turn he did start doing things in other areas that he didn't do at the beginning. So I have to agree with UKmustang on this one, that he did improve. How hard he had to work the last month of the season, is only going to make him that much better.

 

With that said if Briscoe also leaves then I would want Fox back. If Briscoe stays then I would want Monk back with Briscoe at the point. I think one thing that has hurt UK the last 2 years is basically having Briscoe at the 3, who can't shoot. Him at his natural spot of pg, surrounded by shooters would make this team better imo.

Fox ... not even a second thought. He was just getting really good on defense these last few games and his outside shot was coming on.

 

Second choice would be Bam.

 

Monk improved very little over the season and was just biding his time to get to the NBA. May be the most talented of all three but did not improve and is not getting what he should out of his talent.

 

Agree, agree, and agree.

This is a really good question. I think Monk fills the biggest need for what the team needs next year, as I have heard that Diallo and Q. Greene are "supposed" to be able to pick up the slack from Fox. I think my choice would be Bam, though. If he stays and someone like Bamba signs, (plus Ritchards) then Bam could slide to the 4 and you can play a big lineup with Washington at the 3, Diallo at the 2 and Greene at the 1. I also think that Bam has the biggest upside to stay another year, and could be dominant with another summer and year working on his hands and post moves.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.