South Carolina 88 Duke 81

Voice of Reason

That's why I ask how many current coaches have been at the same school as long as Coach K, and then how many of those have annualy had among the top classes coming in? No one can convince me if Coach Cal would have the early exits with the recruiting classes he gets like Coach K, that the national media wouldn't be basking in the glory of his failures.

If you're sliding Coach Cal in for Coach K. Are you giving Coach Cal 5 rings too? That's changing any conversation about Coach K. I'd take that many early exits for 5 more Championships.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you really trying to downplay his five rings because of how long he's been at Duke? Really? :lol2: :lol2:

When Cal has five rings, he'll get the same treatment K does. That's a really simple idea.

No, not at all, What I'm doing is saying it's not as big of an accomplishment when you coach at a school 30 years longer than just about any other coach. So if we are going to talk about 5 rings, lets also talk about the most early exits then. Why discard one and not the other if you are being fair.

If you're sliding Coach Cal in for Coach K. Are you giving Coach Cal 5 rings too? That's changing any conversation about Coach K. I'd take that many early exits for 5 more Championships.
If you give Coach Cal 37 years at the same school, yes I believe he could win 5 rings.

Well, it is very telling to me when you consistently have one of the top recruiting classes year in and year out and how many times he has early exits with those top classes is very telling to me. I'd like a list of all the coaches that have been at the same school longer than Coach K, so the most NCAA titles is kind of misleading when you are constantly touting one of the top recruiting classes coming in year in and year out. I garuntee you if Coach Cal would have as many early exits as Coach K has had with Coach Cal's recruiting classes the national media would be stoning Cal. Duke was pre season #1 this year, no way they should be out again just like 2014 team that went out in the round of 64. Coach K should have his name changed to Coach Teflon because apparently he can never be criticized.

It doesn't matter how long Coach K has been at one school. In the history of college basketball here is the list of coaches that have won 5 championships:

1) John Wooden

2) Coach K

He's won those 5 titles in the last 26 seasons. He's never went more than 9 seasons between championships. That averages out to one title about every 5 seasons. I'd take a first round exit 80% of the time if UK could win a title every 5 seasons. Heck I'd take going to the NIT 80% of the time if UK could win a national championship every 5 seasons.

No, not at all, What I'm doing is saying it's not as big of an accomplishment when you coach at a school 30 years longer than just about any other coach. So if we are going to talk about 5 rings, lets also talk about the most early exits then. Why discard one and not the other if you are being fair.

Im not going to continue with this ridiculous debate with you. If Cal ever got to five rings at UK you would defend him until you were dead.

It doesn't matter how long Coach K has been at one school. In the history of college basketball here is the list of coaches that have won 5 championships:

1) John Wooden

2) Coach K

He's won those 5 titles in the last 26 seasons. He's never went more than 9 seasons between championships. That averages out to one title about every 5 seasons. I'd take a first round exit 80% of the time if UK could win a title every 5 seasons. Heck I'd take going to the NIT 80% of the time if UK could win a national championship every 5 seasons.

You all are proving my point about "Teflon K" He will never be criticized for his horrible early exits in the tourney. If Coach Cal had the early exits in just the last 5 years that Duke has had, he would be getting destroyed nationally and that is no lie. If Coach Cal would have gotten knocked out by a LeHigh in 2012, Mercer in 2014 and SC in 2017 the press and this forum wold be all the buzz about how bad Coach Cal is etc. That is my point. Teflon K can do no wrong even with the most early exits out of any coach that ever lived when seeded as a 2 or higher.

You all are proving my point about "Teflon K" He will never be criticized for his horrible early exits in the tourney. If Coach Cal had the early exits in just the last 5 years that Duke has had, he would be getting destroyed nationally and that is no lie. If Coach Cal would have gotten knocked out by a LeHigh in 2012, Mercer in 2014 and SC in 2017 the press and this forum wold be all the buzz about how bad Coach Cal is etc. That is my point. Teflon K can do no wrong even with the most early exits out of any coach that ever lived when seeded as a 2 or higher.

Winning 5 rings earns you teflon.

I love Coach Cal, but with only one ring, it's a pointless argument.

Im not going to continue with this ridiculous debate with you. If Cal ever got to five rings at UK you would defend him until you were dead.
I've been overy critical of Cal this year and last year even after winning in 2012. I've gotten toasted over my criticism about Cal on here this year. Now Cal hasn't had the early exits like K has had, so if I can criticize Cal why can't I do the same with K?

Again, I never said the rings don't mean anything. If we are talking about the most rings ever then why can't we talk about the most early exits ever?

Would you trade a few deep runs in the tourney for first round exits if it meant Cal had 3 rings at UK instead of one? I absolutely would.

And as much as I love Cal, let's not forget, he has a year of not even making the tourney at UK.