South Carolina 88 Duke 81

Voice of Reason

They are correct, not including this year's tourney, and this is just since 2005. I'm not surprised at all, but I do think as much of the story of that ranking is the number of games coached in the Dance in this 12 year span.

I was shocked how many more games he's coached compared to coaches considered by many to be vastly superior to him.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was shocked how many more games he's coached compared to coaches considered by many to be vastly superior to him.
I can't tell if you're being snarky or not, so I'll just say this out loud (as a non-UK guy): there is no coach in America, be it Coach K, Roy, Self, Izzo, Pitino, or anyone else who is "VASTLY superior to him". I may take a couple of those guys over him, with a gun to my head, but none of them approach the use of the word "vastly". To say otherwise is to be overcome by some sort of bias.

I can't tell if you're being snarky or not, so I'll just say this out loud (as a non-UK guy): there is no coach in America, be it Coach K, Roy, Self, Izzo, Pitino, or anyone else who is "VASTLY superior to him". I may take a couple of those guys over him, with a gun to my head, but none of them approach the use of the word "vastly". To say otherwise is to be overcome by some sort of bias.

I'm not being snarky, but when "Experts" talk about the great coaches...he's generally down the list a ways. Yet as shown here he averages advancing one round further than K and Izzo (considered the best coaches), 7 more games than Self (great in game coach). I just don't think he gets his due from many for his actual coaching ability.

Assuming these numbers are correct and I gave no reason to believe that they arent...any one else shocked that Cal has coached more NCAA games, by a lot, than any other coach?

I'm not being snarky, but when "Experts" talk about the great coaches...he's generally down the list a ways. Yet as shown here he averages advancing one round further than K and Izzo (considered the best coaches), 7 more games than Self (great in game coach). I just don't think he gets his due from many for his actual coaching ability.

I do agree Cal is a top notch coach and is easily in my Top 5 college ball coaches, but with this list you are taking away quite a few great tourney runs from Coach K, Pitino, Calhoun, and a couple of more to name. Even so, since going to UK he has been the most dominating in the tournament for the most part.

Assuming these numbers are correct and I gave no reason to believe that they arent...any one else shocked that Cal has coached more NCAA games, by a lot, than any other coach?

Nah, he coaches at the winningest team in division one basketball.