Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Grant County 64 Trimble County 53 8th Region first round

Featured Replies

The girl from Trimble is a very nice ball player. Congrats on such a successful high school career and congrats to Trimble for a great season

 

Congrats to grant for such a great game plan and exploiting Trimble weaknesses. Most importantly, their girls executed that plan. Big win for that program.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what you're saying is that since a player on your team didn't win POY, you're going to take it out on the person that did win POY? Then, you're going to blame everyone else because your school's girl didn't win POY? Next you're going to try and rub tonight's loss in the face of someone in the name of karma? Am I right so far? The next thing you'll be doing is blaming refs for losses.

 

Tonight wasn't karma. Tonight was one team with the game plan it took to take down the favorite. Grant County did an awesome job executing their plan. As a result, Trimble County was handed a loss. So far, I have not heard one TC fan blame the officials for tonight's loss. It was a great run that included winning the 8th last year and going on to the Sweet 16. Not bad for a small school.

 

Let me clarify what I am saying. First let me say I am not a Simon Kenton fan. I am not from that region either. I am a fan of all the teams in Kentucky.

 

What I am saying is this. Clearly this was a political statement and even some of the coaches in the 8th region are clearly upset that this happened and have even stated that behind the scenes. Other coaches out in the state are laughing about this and have stated that this must be politics cause nobody is that dumb. Thats what I am saying. And with that I will exit the board. Someone needed to address this and I have. 8th region coaches shame on you. Shame.

Someone needs to give Abby West and Bry Ezzell some love. Two solid guards putting up some numbers.

 

As for player of the year...Clifford is very deserving....Niece is also but you only get to have one. Fact is there are a lot of small schools in the 8th and they see each other a lot. Simon Kenton is on the edge of the region and they play mostly larger schools and around the state.

 

However, I have seen both these players. Both are guards who post up and rebound very well. I like Clifford's outside shot a little better.

I noticed Trimble never played the other two top teams (Simon Kenton and Anderson Co.).

Let me clarify what I am saying. First let me say I am not a Simon Kenton fan. I am not from that region either. I am a fan of all the teams in Kentucky.

 

What I am saying is this. Clearly this was a political statement and even some of the coaches in the 8th region are clearly upset that this happened and have even stated that behind the scenes. Other coaches out in the state are laughing about this and have stated that this must be politics cause nobody is that dumb. Thats what I am saying. And with that I will exit the board. Someone needed to address this and I have. 8th region coaches shame on you. Shame.

Everyone has an opinion. The supposed opinion of these "out of region" coaches is no more valid than the coaches who did vote. Probably less, actually, as the 8th region coaches see most if the 8th region teams.

 

The shame in this thread doesn't fall on the coaches. It falls on those who choose not to be complimentary to a very strong basketball player who was selected for (and is deserving of) the honor. The bitterness seems misplaced here.

I noticed Trimble never played the other two top teams (Simon Kenton and Anderson Co.).

 

And the same can be said for the other two teams. Not saying anything negative, it's just that these three teams didn't play one another. No one team's fault.

Just for purposes of comparison, here are the season stats, as reported to KHSAA, for both Clifford and Niece.

 

Clifford - 28 games played

PPG 19.6

Total points 548

FG% 51.9%

3PG# 36

3PG% 35.0

FT% 72.2%

RB total 249

RB/game 8.9

 

Niece - 31 games played

PPG 19.0

Total points 590

FG% 52.2%

3PG# 17

3PG% 30.9

FT% 88.4%

RB total 210

RB/game 6.8

 

Those are the facts so that everyone can make their own decision as to whether one candidate is a laughable choice. IMO, either would have been a fine choice.

Just for purposes of comparison, here are the season stats, as reported to KHSAA, for both Clifford and Niece.

 

Clifford - 28 games played

PPG 19.6

Total points 548

FG% 51.9%

3PG# 36

3PG% 35.0

FT% 72.2%

RB total 249

RB/game 8.9

 

Niece - 31 games played

PPG 19.0

Total points 590

FG% 52.2%

3PG# 17

3PG% 30.9

FT% 88.4%

RB total 210

RB/game 6.8

 

Those are the facts so that everyone can make their own decision as to whether one candidate is a laughable choice. IMO, either would have been a fine choice.

 

Tremendous post.

Just for purposes of comparison, here are the season stats, as reported to KHSAA, for both Clifford and Niece.

 

Clifford - 28 games played

PPG 19.6

Total points 548

FG% 51.9%

3PG# 36

3PG% 35.0

FT% 72.2%

RB total 249

RB/game 8.9

 

Niece - 31 games played

PPG 19.0

Total points 590

FG% 52.2%

3PG# 17

3PG% 30.9

FT% 88.4%

RB total 210

RB/game 6.8

 

Those are the facts so that everyone can make their own decision as to whether one candidate is a laughable choice. IMO, either would have been a fine choice.

 

And one is a Sr and one is not lets find out what coaches in what region are laughing? What politics are you talking about? Apparently Heartbreaker you have no idea how things work.

Both are great players plain and simple. Ally won the award last year, and Clifford won it this year. I will say that the people that I know voted for Clifford based it on their head to head last year where Clifford won the region for her Raiders and the Pioneers lost. In that game the best player was Clifford. I do not think it was a political statement by no means. Has Simon ruffled feathers over the years, maybe so, but the truth is they had 3 players make the all region team which is unheard of in the 8th region, and the second best player was left off, which was POY in her region for Muhlenberg last year. I thought that was the injustice for Varney. She is a great player in her own right. When Simon only plays one team in the region outside of their district not everyone sees them play as well. The stats are not comparable in my opinion. Simon plays a brutal schedule, so for Neice to get 19.0 a game against that competition is really good. Trimble had a wonderful season and run with this group of girls, and they represent what our region is about, very proud of them.

Someone needs to give Abby West and Bry Ezzell some love. Two solid guards putting up some numbers.

 

As for player of the year...Clifford is very deserving....Niece is also but you only get to have one. Fact is there are a lot of small schools in the 8th and they see each other a lot. Simon Kenton is on the edge of the region and they play mostly larger schools and around the state.

 

However, I have seen both these players. Both are guards who post up and rebound very well. I like Clifford's outside shot a little better.

 

Frosh and Sophomore respectively. Really talented duo on a relatively young team.

 

Great win for the Lady Braves!

Since this thread has evolved into a comparison of these two who does everyone think will have the better college career? I've watched them both for 3 years and think they are similar in how they play. I like Clifford better because she is a legit 6 feet and has a better outside shot. Feel like both will struggle defending against the athleticism they will see night in-night out in college.

Just for purposes of comparison, here are the season stats, as reported to KHSAA, for both Clifford and Niece.

 

Clifford - 28 games played

PPG 19.6

Total points 548

FG% 51.9%

3PG# 36

3PG% 35.0

FT% 72.2%

RB total 249

RB/game 8.9

 

Niece - 31 games played

PPG 19.0

Total points 590

FG% 52.2%

3PG# 17

3PG% 30.9

FT% 88.4%

RB total 210

RB/game 6.8

 

Those are the facts so that everyone can make their own decision as to whether one candidate is a laughable choice. IMO, either would have been a fine choice.

 

I congratulate Miss. Clifford on her season and being named POY of the region. Two players were deserving, only one can be named. I don't believe there are any "politics" involved here. Niece played only 4 games in the region, while Clifford played 16 games in the region. Clifford, while deserving, had a lot more opportunity to make an impression with 8th region coaches.

I congratulate Miss. Clifford on her season and being named POY of the region. Two players were deserving, only one can be named. I don't believe there are any "politics" involved here. Niece played only 4 games in the region, while Clifford played 16 games in the region. Clifford, while deserving, had a lot more opportunity to make an impression with 8th region coaches.

 

My understanding is that only seniors are awarded this honor and Clifford deserves the honor. Niece will be eligible next year if coaches want to vote for her then.

The senior award is the KABC POY that is handed out at the state tourney, and it has to go to a senior, they then are nominated for Miss Basketball.

 

The 8th region, as do others, have their own all region team comprised of players. This the POY that everyone is upset with. My only gripe with that list was Varney, easily top 3-5 player in the region, and did not make the list. But I think I have to agree with Pioneer Pride, not a lot of people saw her play.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.