Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Are coaches being more aggressive with officials?

Featured Replies

I've seen a coach get a technical for not saying a word and sitting on the bench with his legs crossed. Not sure what the correct answer is.

 

What are you implying my good man?

  • Replies 47
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

winning a game out of region is almost impossible. The fact that coaches have so much control over rating/scratching in region officials is NOT good for the game. Every time I see an "upset" I always check to see where the game was played...and it's almost always out of region.

 

I don't think it's the fact that the officials in a different region sway the game one way or the other because the other team is not a region team. I do agree it is tough sometimes to play with other region refs because they might call the game different (more physical play, more touch fouls, etc) then how your region calls it, but at that point it is up to the players and coach to adjust to how the game is being called. Fair or not, that's how it is in every level of play from HS on up.

2 for players

 

unless the school system (and some do) add a game.

Fans can often be fueled by coaches. Especially fans that incorrectly think they know the rules. This thought partially generated this thread.

 

Most frequent issue with fans, at times, coaches.....agreed this behavior can be chicken / egg.

 

If officials use the tools available to them, most games are very manageable if the officiating level is matched to the game.

Compared to officiating in other states we have nothing to complain about. Just came back from out of state and it was the worst officiating I have ever seen. When players can taunt and shove people out of bounds with no calls made makes me want to shake the officiating crews around here hands. Had one official literally tell me to google that a player can tap the ball to himself all the way down court without it being a walk. My response then why dribble at all. At one point with 3 minutes left in the third quarter we had 10 fouls to one for the other team. The officials here may be bad to most people but you need to experience it in other states. My hats off to anyone who officiates any sport. It is easy to sit on the sidelines and complain.

10-1 on fouls...why should this be a concern? I've always been puzzled by people who complain about the foul count. There is no rule on each team getting a certain percentage of fouls. If you think that certain fouls are being missed, you complain about those. I just tune out the people that complain about the ratio. Silly.

What are you implying my good man?

 

That I have seen referees being overly aggressive to coaches.

I completely agree with this. In my opinion This runs more officials off than coaches.

 

Officials are big boys and girls. They can handle the abuse more often than not, and have the necessary tools at their disposal to deal with unruly fans.

 

My concerns with the fans are, 1) Technical fouls can be assessed to fans and some seem ignorant of the fact, and 2) On far too many occasions I've heard kids, little kids, telling officials where to go and how to get there, and right there next to little Johnny/Jenny is the parent, with their *insert regionally appropriate stereotype*, wiping the spit from their chin and patting their little ref-blamer on the back for his creative language skills.

 

Won't somebody please think of the children?

Thanks. Seems harsh for coaches to get 3 games compared to 2 for players.

 

Personally I think it's silly that any suspension happens after only one ejection, in either case.

Personally I think it's silly that any suspension happens after only one ejection, in either case.

 

I agree with this also. I don't like the idea of a suspension mainly because technicals are left in the judgment of one or two people.

 

 

I do think if a suspension is going to be done for people ejected it should be uniform across the board for players and coaches. 1 game, 2 game or 3 games for everyone or no suspensions for anyone.

  • Author
Personally I think it's silly that any suspension happens after only one ejection, in either case.

Saw an ejection last year in Mike Murphy Classic where a double T was called early when two players wrestled for loose ball and both failed to release after whistle. Later one of the offenders attempting to take the charge was called for not being set. On his back he reacted with a verbal "Oh,no". Second T, ejection, two game suspension. IMO, the penalty did not fit the crime.

Saw an ejection last year in Mike Murphy Classic where a double T was called early when two players wrestled for loose ball and both failed to release after whistle. Later one of the offenders attempting to take the charge was called for not being set. On his back he reacted with a verbal "Oh,no". Second T, ejection, two game suspension. IMO, the penalty did not fit the crime.

 

You have to be set to take a charge? New one to me

10-1 on fouls...why should this be a concern? I've always been puzzled by people who complain about the foul count. There is no rule on each team getting a certain percentage of fouls. If you think that certain fouls are being missed, you complain about those. I just tune out the people that complain about the ratio. Silly.

 

The ratio argument comes into play because it is a high school game and when I have personally seen 10 fouls on 1 team to 2 on the other with 3 minutes to go in the game and the team with 10 fouls is winning but it is close it just brings in to question how an official is calling the game. It is a HIGH SCHOOL game and I don't know any high school team that only commits 2 fouls in 13+ minutes. I guess it isn't the ratoo as much as just the lack of fouls on a high school team. High schoolers aren't that clean in playing basketball. Just my opinion.

You have to be set to take a charge? New one to me

Depends on the official

The ratio argument comes into play because it is a high school game and when I have personally seen 10 fouls on 1 team to 2 on the other with 3 minutes to go in the game and the team with 10 fouls is winning but it is close it just brings in to question how an official is calling the game. It is a HIGH SCHOOL game and I don't know any high school team that only commits 2 fouls in 13+ minutes. I guess it isn't the ratoo as much as just the lack of fouls on a high school team. High schoolers aren't that clean in playing basketball. Just my opinion.

 

They are that clean when they sit back in zone and the other has man pressure. Style of play matters more than anything. You are just trying to find ways to question the ethics and morals of a sports officials that I would bet could not care less who won.

The ratio argument comes into play because it is a high school game and when I have personally seen 10 fouls on 1 team to 2 on the other with 3 minutes to go in the game and the team with 10 fouls is winning but it is close it just brings in to question how an official is calling the game. It is a HIGH SCHOOL game and I don't know any high school team that only commits 2 fouls in 13+ minutes. I guess it isn't the ratoo as much as just the lack of fouls on a high school team. High schoolers aren't that clean in playing basketball. Just my opinion.

You aren't taking the defense into consideration at all?

 

There can't "be more fouls" just because there should be more fouls. They are either committed or they aren't. It's silly to vocalize about ratios. If a foul is missed, be specific. "10 to 1, ref!" Just gets filed away in my useless column.

 

Of all of the things that I hear as a basketball fan, this one is the silliest, IMO.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.