Class AA Playoffs Mayfield vs Owensboro Catholic

Cardinals44

Who wins  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

Looked back at some scores. Did Mayfield get a running clock before half against Murray? Catholic did with 7 minutes to go in the half. Catholic's starters played 1 series in second half. Murray Td's were against freshmen and JV.

I feel real good neither OCath nor Mayfield will be given any points this Fri night for what they did or didn't do against Murray in previous weeks.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck, just look a the Murray scores from last season between the two teams and the end result for OC. It matters not. BTW... I went back and looked at all 17 pages of last year's thread of this game, and while I saw plenty of confident Cardinal fans, I failed to come across predictions of a blowout as stated early.

FYI... it's a long ride to Columbia or Ft. Mitchell. Owensboro is a piece of cake with a sundrop from Beaver Dam to wash it down.

Edited by WHO'S NEXT?

Million dollar question.... how did Apollo hold both Owensboro and OC to just 35/36 posted? Is odd to me that Graves posted 51 on Apollo. I would assume those teams would have blown those games open. Am I missing something here?

2 words Rivalry Games.

Apollo plays harder against teams that are their rivals

When Graves got up on them, they had no resistence

Million dollar question.... how did Apollo hold both Owensboro and OC to just 35/36 posted? Is odd to me that Graves posted 51 on Apollo. I would assume those teams would have blown those games open. Am I missing something here?

Apollo was actually a pretty talented team this year. I know the record didn't show it, but I felt like this was the best group to come through in the past 7-8 years. I think Purple hit the nail on the head with it. Motivation vs their friends around the city was a big part of it. Games like Graves and Christian, I think the losses just wore on them. Its hard to read much into results against other teams too. Which is why the Butler/Murray comparisons in this game are really a moot point.

I think Mayfield is probably a little bit better than they were last year. Catholic, I think its pretty even. Im not sure they have the standouts they did last year, but they have really played well as a unit. They are very underrated along the lines, especially the OL. Defensively, they lost their top 2 tacklers, but haven't really missed a beat. I feel like they could be susceptible to the big play but overall have been a pretty consistent unit. They have a VERY good combination of safeties on the back end. Last but not least, Owensboro Catholic is always the most well coached team I see on a yearly basis. It goes without saying that coach Edge is one of the best coaches in the state.

...and I didn't get to address it earlier but the Homers show is most definitely a representative of our guys in the 3rd region area. There is no doubt we are partial to our guys, because they are the ones we cover. That said, I feel like we are pretty realistic about outside teams and try to treat everyone with respect. Hope everyone out there listens on Wednesday. Im really looking forward to it.

Catholic is young, to be honest its gonna take a herculean effort to pull this off. They are good, but young. Sophomore QB Will Warren 6ft3 225lbs, Von Williams sop RB 6ft1 185lbs, Nick Mills sop WR 5ft 10 170lbs, Sam Harrington soph WR 6ft3 185lbs, Noah Todd soph DE 6ft2 210lbsand Jayden Hall 6ft4 250lbs lineman are all key components, with Yay Yay Gray 5ft 8 soph wr 150lbs getting minutes. There are several other soph and a few freshman who find themselves on field for extended snaps. Have 3-4 senior WR/RB who are huge for OC and quite frankly they need their best game for OC to shock Mayfield. Tre Green sr wr is a player, he's gotta catch the ball and stay in the game, Weston Jacobs is sort of the heart and soul of team, works hard, great defender can play anywhere. Hayden Hartz has been big at times on offense and defense, and Maddux Richardson can hurt you on offense or defense, his defensive play has been off the charts. Line play I think can be our strength. These guys led by Maloney Weaver and Arnold have really stepped up.

My point with this? Yes Mayfield is great, Yes catholic is young, sometimes young guys don't know they are supposed to lose....This group thinks like that, a very "why not us attitude" If OC has a weakness it may be on D in a few areas, but those kids play hard and have a bend don't break attitude. I think OC will score points, just got to make sure its enough. If the offensive sophomore group of Warren, Williams and Mills can stay healthy and get rolling I like our chances to hang around and make it interesting. These kids have come leaps and bounds this year and i believe that the RB and QB are the best in our area here (i.e. Daviess CO, Muhlenburg, Ohio co, Owensboro area etc.) They have put up big numbers and wins over all the teams here and are 11-1 currently.

My gut says mayfield has to much senior leadership and talent with those guys, but my heart says OC can hang with them for awhile and then anything can happen.

I love this stuff. Cant wait!