Jake Walter - CCH (Class of 2018)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The boy is only 16 - he has so much more opportunity than any other NKy boy ever has had before him. He could play the "prep school" game to come out even further ahead. He's not going to Pikeville !

The comments about attending Pikeville were not directed toward Jake Walter.

High major for sure. Watched him play with my son in middle school never ever would I have ever believed that kid would be playing college basketball . In 8th grade the coach barely played him and yelled at him every game . Three years later all this . When I saw him against cooper this year I could not believe my eyes . His body has changed so much and his speed running down the floor . Posting up dunking . I guess you had to see him as a 8th grader to understand. Good for him , and NKY bball .....

Him only averaging 7pts has a lot to do with Cov Caths style of play. In my opinion, of the 2 games I saw, they didn't get him the ball nearly as much as they should have. This is typical of almost all high school teams now. Seems like they either don't want to play a post game or don't know how.

I think some people underestimate his passing ability. It is hard to guard/tip the ball when he holds it 8 ft in the air, and he has great vision on the court. He's been working at ASAP with the rest of the team so he has the strength to put some speed on his passes.

He's also a rebounding machine and will only get better as he grows into his body. You simply cannot teach height. He may be one of the highest D1 players out of CCH in a while if he keeps up the improvement.

I hope he turns out better than the last great BIG MAN out of kentucky...my money says yes. UK Career Statistics for Mike Scott

Who remembers Mike Scott # 50 :lol2:http://bluegrasspreps.com/images/smilies/lol.gif

Hometown: South Shore, KY (Greenup County)

Position: C Playing Height: 6-10 Playing Weight: 230

Kentucky Career Notes:

Transferred from Wake Forest

Edited by WillCoach44
?

Him only averaging 7pts has a lot to do with Cov Caths style of play. In my opinion, of the 2 games I saw, they didn't get him the ball nearly as much as they should have. This is typical of almost all high school teams now. Seems like they either don't want to play a post game or don't know how.

What % is Jake shooting from the field? The reason his shots are limited may be due more to efficiency than style of play. A new reality of the game is that GOOD 3 point shooters are more efficient on pts/possession basis than VERY GOOD 2 point shooters. If Jake is shooting a very strong % from the floor and getting to the line a high % of the time then he should be seeing the ball more.

If not, directing shots to CCH's more efficient scorers is a better strategy.

My take is that Jake has been challenged by the coaches to be more consistent/efficient scoring the ball. He has come a long way but he is still the #5 scoring option on the team.

With Ruthsatz, Frederick, and Mayer(s) returning next year - this IS a big spring/summer for Jake, primarily to work up the ladder of CCH scoring options heading into his senior year.