September 25, 201610 yr I am really not sure about procedure in these incidents. Rocket28 commented that typically you wouldn't want everyone to have a taser. I believe that one officer was was not brandishing his firearm or taser. The fact that both officers fire nearly at the same time tells me that they saw something concerning enough to react. Testimony from the other officers could ultimately decide Shelbys fate. PP92, could their be any testimony that would exonerate Shelby in your opinion? Or.... it could tell you that she fired because he did, thinking it was his gun as well and then realized she screwed up when it was a tazer.
September 25, 201610 yr Ummm same thing as the lady cop. Manslaughter. For killing him with a taser? Only time you'd LIKELY see something like that is if the taser is deployed in an area where it's not safe to do so. Say on a roof top where the guy falls and breaks his neck or something weird like that.
September 25, 201610 yr I'm betting the officer with the taser was complying with department procedure. In a perfect world, some could see where this scenario is where a taser is effective. The suspect is non-compliant. You have additional officers on scene in case it goes south in a hurry. It seems Officer Shelby should have been the cover officer with her firearm and not the lead officer. When the deceased failed to comply with the officer's commands AND went back to his vehicle, they should have tried to physically keep him from returning. If that goes bad, then tase him, keeping in mind that the taser is not always 100% effective. All the while, Officer Shelby is providing cover in case the suspect does in fact make his way into the vehicle. Police officers perceive threats in different ways. Some go into a situation with a gun drawn. Some with a taser. Some with just a flashlight. Sometimes it gets them killed. Sometimes, someone else gets killed. Crutcher should never have been allowed to get back to the vehicle, especially if he had told 911 that it was "going to blow up." This is a breakdown in training. Officer Shelby will either be convicted or reach a plea deal. Her career in law enforcement is over. She will likely be and should be the only officer charged. The officer that fired the taser perceived him as non-compliant but not a deadly threat as she did.
September 25, 201610 yr Only time you'd LIKELY see something like that is if the taser is deployed in an area where it's not safe to do so. Say on a roof top where the guy falls and breaks his neck or something weird like that. Post 516. Assume the autopsy shows the gun shot was not fatal and taser caused the death. Far reach of course but if he was jacked up and the taser was found to be the cause death. That would put a twist in the case. Though a taser is not considered to be a deadly weapon folks have died after getting zapped.
September 25, 201610 yr Post 516. Assume the autopsy shows the gun shot was not fatal and taser caused the death. Far reach of course but if he was jacked up and the taser was found to be the cause death. That would put a twist in the case. Though a taser is not considered to be a deadly weapon folks have died after getting zapped. Did they die because of getting tased or did they die because the taser triggered a health event such as excited delirium or a cardiac event? The only way the taser kills someone directly is if they pull the trigger and do not release it for an extended period of time
September 25, 201610 yr Post 516. Assume the autopsy shows the gun shot was not fatal and taser caused the death. Far reach of course but if he was jacked up and the taser was found to be the cause death. That would put a twist in the case. Though a taser is not considered to be a deadly weapon folks have died after getting zapped. I understood your question, that's why I provided the answer with a scenario in which it could happen. This isn't one of them.
September 25, 201610 yr Post 516. Assume the autopsy shows the gun shot was not fatal and taser caused the death. Far reach of course but if he was jacked up and the taser was found to be the cause death. That would put a twist in the case. Though a taser is not considered to be a deadly weapon folks have died after getting zapped. Taser is considered a less lethal tool.l, just like an asp or baton. Death is a possibility but obviously not what it's intended purpose of use is.
September 25, 201610 yr Only time you'd LIKELY see something like that is if the taser is deployed in an area where it's not safe to do so. Say on a roof top where the guy falls and breaks his neck or something weird like that. Yeah. I was confused as to why he was even brought up.
September 25, 201610 yr Post 516. Assume the autopsy shows the gun shot was not fatal and taser caused the death. Far reach of course but if he was jacked up and the taser was found to be the cause death. That would put a twist in the case. Though a taser is not considered to be a deadly weapon folks have died after getting zapped. I assumed he died because he was shot.
September 25, 201610 yr I assumed he died because he was shot. I'd say it's safe to say it was at the very least an attributing factor but I agree with you.
September 26, 201610 yr I assumed he died because he was shot. I assumed the same. I brought it up as they were quick to charge her with manslaughter but had not yet had the results of the autopsy. As I said it was a reach that it would be anything but a gunshot that caused the death, but if I'm involved and facing manslaughter charges, I'd want facts before assumptions.
September 26, 201610 yr I understood your question, that's why I provided the answer with a scenario in which it could happen. This isn't one of them. Are Tasers too deadly to be called '''non-lethal'''? - NBC News
September 26, 201610 yr Are Tasers too deadly to be called '''non-lethal'''? - NBC News Tazers can cause death. Has any officer ever been charged for tazing someone? And there have been cases where the suspect has died.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.