Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Vaught's Views: Readers question KHSAA

Featured Replies

Numbers and depth are much more important in football than basketball.

 

Beechwood 35 Dixie Heights 9

  • Replies 123
  • Views 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand your point of view, but I don't see how public schools that accept students from other districts are "turning their back" on their basic mission of educating the students in their community.

 

 

I would actually see that as opening their arms to others from other communities to bring all closer together.

 

Then again I come from a private school and my opinion clearly is irrelevant to some on here because I am obviously just covering for the misdeeds of various private schools who obviously cheat. Isn't that right mountainmutt? :rolleyes:

Beechwood 35 Dixie Heights 9

 

I wonder what the roster sizes are for those two schools. Anyone with information?

Beechwood 35 Dixie Heights 9
You cite that score like it trumps everything. Beechwood beats teams in higher classes with regularity ... big deal.

 

No one said that numbers and depth are everything, but the way Trinity and St. Xavier play tug-of-war with the Class 4A state title certainly lends some credence to my position.

I have read all the various responses and I am yet to read a sound position. Yes, Jefferson County is open to all students within the Jefferson County SCHOOL DISTRICT. The vast majority of school systems in Kentucky only have ONE high school within their district. If I am wrong about my assumption on the percentage of private starters that attended elementary school in public schools, lets hear the actual numbers.

 

Covington/Newport and Louisville only represent a minor number of schools in Kentucky. The request of the majority of public schools is segregation as a means to allow teams not from these areas to compete on a level playing field for a state championship. State Champion meaning the best team among teams with similar resources within the state.

 

If anyone is lacking understanding on this issue, it is those supporting the private school position. How could such a vast majority of people in the state be wrong? The truth is clear, the privates just do not like it.

If anyone is lacking understanding on this issue, it is those supporting the private school position. How could such a vast majority of people in the state be wrong? The truth is clear, the privates just do not like it.
It's hardly a vast majority that hold this misguided notion. :lol:

 

No matter what people say or how hard they try to make it clear, there are just going to be some people who want to think they're misfortune is the result of a conspiracy, or a miscarriage of justice. But it just isn't reality.

 

I'm sorry that some school's in urban areas have had success and perhaps your school has not. But that's the way it is. That's why you compete. The playing field is NEVER EVER going to be completely level. And as Guru said at the beginning of this thread, if school's are restricted it's because they restrict themselves. There will be advantages and disadvantages across the board. Where does this call for segregation (interesting choice of words) come to an end? Will we have a special division for every team -- just to make sure things are "fair?"

 

The KHSAA long ago divided the state into classes to solve this population issue. And now they've divided it even further. That should be sufficient. The difference in population of boys is the only argument that even comes close to having any validity...and that has been addressed.

 

As was said many times above, this is really an urban/rural issue. And if it's anything other than that, the true motives of those who complain must be brought into question.

 

You don't hear this from fans and players with true comptitive spirit. They don't rely on excuses and the only finger pointing they do, is when they look in the mirror.

You cite that score like it trumps everything. Beechwood beats teams in higher classes with regularity ... big deal.

 

No one said that numbers and depth are everything, but the way Trinity and St. Xavier play tug-of-war with the Class 4A state title certainly lends some credence to my position.

 

So are numbers important or not? You can't have it both ways. Beechwood (176 boys) blows out Dixie Heights (647 boys). It must be that Beechwood has some UNFAIR advantage in order to beat Dixie, right?

So are numbers important or not? You can't have it both ways. Beechwood (176 boys) blows out Dixie Heights (647 boys). It must be that Beechwood has some UNFAIR advantage in order to beat Dixie, right?

It seems that the numbers argument may not be all that its proponents think it is.:thumb:

It seems that the numbers argument may not be all that its proponents think it is.:thumb:
It would seem. ;)
So are numbers important or not? You can't have it both ways. Beechwood (176 boys) blows out Dixie Heights (647 boys). It must be that Beechwood has some UNFAIR advantage in order to beat Dixie, right?
Not trying to have it both ways, and you're exaggerating my position. Citing Beechwood as the counter-argument is a little disingenuous ... the Beechies are hardly a typical small-school program.

The best advice I have seen on BGP in a long time is that given by theguru to Ashland in post number three above. As one who hears the whining and complaining on a regular basis, let me add a hardy "Amen". Is it possible that Mr. Vaught is actually the infamous Mr. Sears?

I am curious as to what percentage of private school football starters actually attended a private primary school (1st-6th). I am not talking about percentage of players on the team. Lots of kids, with no chance to actually contribute in a competitive game, suit-up. I am talking about starters. I predict there is a "STARK DIFFERENCE" in this statistic between the public and privates. As I stated earlier, any run of the mill coach should be able to consistently win if he has the ability to select his players from his oppositions talent base.

 

 

I thought I would update this. I was just listening to Trinity play MBA and they mentioned that 20 of 22 starters came from Catholic grade schools. Im not sure about X but Im sure its about the same.

Not trying to have it both ways, and you're exaggerating my position. Citing Beechwood as the counter-argument is a little disingenuous ... the Beechies are hardly a typical small-school program.

When many people talk about the unfair advantage private schools, or all male schools have, many people(98%:sssh: ) lump them all together. Beechwood, or Boyle Co. ect. show that if you run a program sucessfully, it doesn't matter your size or if you are public or private. Thats why I feel that if a split does materialize, the open enrollment and other sucessful programs will have the bulseye on them.

Not trying to have it both ways, and you're exaggerating my position. Citing Beechwood as the counter-argument is a little disingenuous ... the Beechies are hardly a typical small-school program.

None the less they are a small school program who have regularly beaten large school programs. You can't say numbers matter except for Beechwood because they don't fit my hypothesis.

I am curious as to what percentage of private school football starters actually attended a private primary school (1st-6th). I am not talking about percentage of players on the team. Lots of kids, with no chance to actually contribute in a competitive game, suit-up. I am talking about starters. I predict there is a "STARK DIFFERENCE" in this statistic between the public and privates. As I stated earlier, any run of the mill coach should be able to consistently win if he has the ability to select his players from his oppositions talent base.

 

Before each game on CovCath Internet Radio the players introduce themselves to the listens with their name, and what Parish School they attended. Only two (2) from the twenty two (22) starters, didn't mention a Catholic Parish School as where they attended grade school.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.