August 26, 200620 yr Just as I figured, not one intelligent argument reinforcing the private school position. Its funny you start your post with that because that is pretty much the way the private supporters feel about your rant. You obviously havent a clue about the amount of D1 talent comming out of the public school system in more urban areas. I understand that small rural schools may only produce a D1 athelete once in a blue moon but the big public 4As and 3A produce them quite a bit. Males program regularly produces D1 talent. Ever hear of Michael Bush? How about Tony Driver? How about Chris Redman? Any of those come to mind? I am curious as to how what percentage of private school football starters actually attended a private primary school (1st-6th). I am not talking about percentage of players on the team. Lots of kids with no chance to actually contribute in a competitive game suit-up. I am talking about starters. I predict there is a "STARK DIFFERENCE" in this statistic between the public and privates. Your assumptions and predictions are so far off on this one its laughable. You really dont have any idea on how large and strong the catholic school feeder system in Louisville is do you? :lol:
August 26, 200620 yr Private schools do not acknowledge public school boundaries; why should they acknowledge state boundaries? I thought Id address this really quick too. As Guru and others have stated TIME AFTER TIME. Public system places the boundaries on themselves NOT the KHSAA! Public school systems could take kids from ANYWHERE they want they choose NOT to. You cant impose restrictions on yourself then cry about others not doing the same. Do you not realize that there are PUBLIC schools in Jefferson Co. that have students from other counties and even STATES! Jefferson Co. has OPEN ENROLLMENT!
August 26, 200620 yr Just as I figured, not one sound argument reinforcing the private school position. One of the private arguments involved Division 1 athletes. Most of the public schools in the state only produce a Division 1 athlete every decade or so. Many of the public schools in the state have never produced a Division 1 athlete. There is just no comparison in the talent bases. Someone on the private side even compared this issue to the 60's civil rights movement. Please!!!! There is absolutely no comparison between the civil rights movement and a disagreement over high school sports. The fact has been clearly established on the field of play, in the public opinion and among the representative public school administrators that the privates have an unfair advantage. The advantage is clear, private schools select their players from where ever they please; while the the public schools must develop their players from the feeder programs within the boundary of their school districts. This is not a self imposed position (I simply do not understand why many people keep saying this, it is not true. This is astate mandeated position and it serves the best interest of the public). There are many issues involving the welfare of the public domain and students attending schools outside their home district. Maintaining the viabilaty of public education is one of the primary concerns. The state funds students on a per head basis and with funding already low every transfer further diminishes the quality of public education. The KHSAA has clearly stated that contacting students outside of distrcit boundaries regarding athletics constitutes recruiting. Further the KHSAA has been very clear about athletic based transfers and residence requirements. In the public school world, anytime a good athlete transfers to another public school there is about a 100% probability the athlete is going to have to sit out a year and attorneys are going to be involved. Do the private supporters on this board really believe that the private schools are dominating KHSAA sports because of superior coaches and program support? The coaching and support is just as strong on the public side. Public coaches are recruited and compensated based on their performance just as private coaches are. The difference is the talent base. I am curious as to what percentage of private school football starters actually attended a private primary school (1st-6th). I am not talking about percentage of players on the team. Lots of kids, with no chance to actually contribute in a competitive game, suit-up. I am talking about starters. I predict there is a "STARK DIFFERENCE" in this statistic between the public and privates. As I stated earlier, any run of the mill coach should be able to consistently win if he has the ability to select his players from his oppositions talent base. As for scheduling difficulties due to the small number (16) of private schools playing football, this is not a public school concern. The privates have segregated themselves socially and academically; why not athletically. I strongly contend that the Catholic Schools, in particular, could easily resolve this problem through their national affiliation. Most of the privates playing football are located in the Louisville and Covington areas (Lexington Cath is also located reasonably close to these cities). There should be no reason, the schools in question, could not join the Cincinnatti area private league, where high school football is played at its highest level. Private schools do not acknowledge public school boundaries; why should they acknowledge state boundaries? I am willing to bet that X and T would not dominate in that league. I predict X and T would endure regular losing seasons for the same reason (numbers and talent base) publics are crying foul in Kentucky. The travel complaint carries no weight with the publics. Public schools in most areas of Kentucky regularly travel an hour or more for district play. Segregation is going to eventually happen due to public demand and because it is clearly needed to even the playing fields of Kentucky. Did you read ANY of what I posted? Jefferson County Public Schools have what is called OPEN ENROLLMENT. That's right! They can go to ANY school in the district. Which would be all of Jefferson County. Public schools CAN accept kids from wherever they want to IF they want to. I would suggest,before starting an argument that has been thoroughly discussed time and again on this site, to go to the public/private forum and read the posts in there regarding this issue as many of the questions/fallacies you have posted are addressed there.
August 26, 200620 yr I respect Mr.Vaught and his views! I think he may be the best sports writer in the state of Kentucky! He is also Human as we all are! He has a opinion and we might like like his opinion but he his a class act!
August 26, 200620 yr But if we recruit only the most superior atheleles and have a numbers that are so lopsided you would think X and T would have an reserved seat at the sweet 16 right?I didn't say a single thing about recruiting.
August 26, 200620 yr I didn't say a single thing about recruiting. That was more directed at mountainmutt.
August 26, 200620 yr Be careful LBBC when you speak :lol: one of those girls you mentioned just transfered to Boone County. Third varsity HS school she is playing for (one independent, one Catholic, one County School, just wondering who she is going to play for next year:D ), it does happen both way and you know that. BTW, I can give you names of girls who played on a Catholic grade school, who went to school with my daughter, who went to Conner High and play sports. Again it happens both ways..... You are absolutely correct in that it goes both ways. My post was aimed at his claim that the reason why privates have more success was solely the result of "catholic feeder programs" (his words not mine). I pointed out that there were other reasons, too and the feeder programs cannot take full credit.
August 26, 200620 yr Why isn't this thread in the public/private forum? I thought that forum was created to keep this type of "stuff" off the football forum. Is this thread about football?
August 26, 200620 yr I thought Id address this really quick too. As Guru and others have stated TIME AFTER TIME. Public system places the boundaries on themselves NOT the KHSAA! Public school systems could take kids from ANYWHERE they want they choose NOT to. You cant impose restrictions on yourself then cry about others not doing the same. Do you not realize that there are PUBLIC schools in Jefferson Co. that have students from other counties and even STATES! Jefferson Co. has OPEN ENROLLMENT! This is one of those points that technically you are correct but in the spirit of the purpose of public schools you are wrong. Public schools are designed to meet the needs of a local community. Thus, the reason why the direct body that controls that public school system is voted and chosen by the community itself. Obviously, when the system was set in place, whomever designed it, did not feel that it was the call of one public school system to educate and prepare kids from another community that has it's own school system. I have a sneaking suspicion that open enrollment was generated or has come in vogue in part to answer the abilities of private schools to pull students from across communities. Yeah, public schools can go to open enrollment and lose it's focus on the primary mission that is given to public schools. To educate the youth of their community. I applaud those public schools who stick to their mission. Again, one of the main reasons why I feel the split should be between size and open enrollment instead of a private/public split. Schools want to pull from across communities than fine, let them compete together. But those schools who want to stick to the mission given them and focus in their community (for publics a geographic; for privates, traditionally a faith), let them compete against schools of their ilk. I think many, many people appreciate the way it used to be. Community vs. Community and miss that. Polarbear1994 and I have been having a friendly rivalry going into the Pendleton/Bracken football game last night (The Wildcats spanked the Lefties last night, BTW.). That is the way HS athletics was at it's best, IMO. Not the mercenary mentality that exists today. Where you transfer all over the state looking for your best chance for exposure and winning. For me, it dampens the success my school my have/had when the team was put together like an all-star team and did not come from a long-term plan of hard work and dedication. I don't enjoy rooting for an AAU-type program and unfortunately, that is what HS athletics has moved to. Fine, if that is what it has moved to, BUT why not give those schools who don't want to draw students from outside the area that was given to them as a responsibility to educate a place to compete. Give them schools of their type to compete against. That is my wish. The local convenience store in my community is not called on to compete against Walmart. They feel a great need but do not try and compete head-to-head against Walmart. If they wish to, it is their CHOICE to, but they don't have to. They can stay and serve their community, focusing on their community and have success. Presently, HS's don't have that choice. They HAVE to compete against the Walmarts.
August 26, 200620 yr Yeah, public schools can go to open enrollment and turn it's back on the mission that is given to public schools. To educate the youth of a community.I understand your point of view, but I don't see how public schools that accept students from other districts are "turning their back" on their basic mission of educating the students in their community.
August 26, 200620 yr I understand your point of view, but I don't see how public schools that accept students from other districts are "turning their back" on their basic mission of educating the students in their community. I could concede that "turning their back" might have been too strong of a phrase. I could go "with not focusing on their primary mission." I will add that I do believe there are unique situations that it is best for communities to pool their resources to educate children. I think of severe mental handicaps or behaviorly problems as examples.
August 26, 200620 yr I could concede that "turning their back" might have been too strong of a phrase. I could go "with not focusing on their primary mission." I will add that I do believe there are unique situations that it is best for communities to pool their resources to educate children. I think of severe mental handicaps or behaviorly problems as examples. In an urban environment by allowing certain schools to specialize in specific aspects of education is that a more efficient way of handling things? It could even work in a rural county with more than one school, but again I will admit not knowing the dynamic of many of the smaller communities in this state and as such could easily be wrong on that count.
August 26, 200620 yr I think many, many people appreciate the way it used to be. Community vs. Community and miss that. Polarbear1994 and I have been having a friendly rivalry going into the Pendleton/Bracken football game last night (The Wildcats spanked the Lefties last night, BTW.). That is the way HS athletics was at it's best, IMO. My sentiments exactly, :thumb:
August 26, 200620 yr You tell me Delta....give me 750 boys and you 250 and see who can come up the best team.......I am not a smart man, but I know what common sense is... I've got one better than that... Beechwood 35 Dixie Heights 9
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.