Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

6 Class System is NOT Watered Down

Featured Replies

Not really. Part of the New Cath/ Beechwood rivalry was beating a good team TWICE which is very hard to do. For really good teams like these, THAT is a sign of a true champion. Even losing to a team in regular season and then beating them in the playoffs is a true sign of achievement. THAT is what competition is about. That is what makes it so great for whichever team moves on.

 

As someone close to the Beechwood program I was wondering if maybe you could provide a little insight as to why Beechwood chose to remain in Class A and not move up in Class to 2A as some have suggested they do. (Myself not being one of those who necessarily feels you all should)

  • Replies 89
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone close to the Beechwood program I was wondering if maybe you could provide a little insight as to why Beechwood chose to remain in Class A and not move up in Class to 2A as some have suggested they do. (Myself not being one of those who necessarily feels you all should)

 

 

I wish I knew. I was a little surprised. Beechwood has never been one to shy away from the bigger dogs. My understanding is that in two years, schools can request a change. Maybe they are just waitng to see how things work out as is.

As I've posted elsewhere, it's possible that Beechwood would have been denied anyway, since their new district has only four teams. Besides, they can easily keep games with NewCath, Lloyd and the like on their schedule.

This system is not watered down and here is why.

A ton more playoff teams, 4 more state champion attendees...

 

it IS watered down.

There could be some bigtime blowouts in the playoffs and I don't know if that would really help the KHSAA when it comes to the gate. The player's parents and most devoted fans are still going to go to the games, but for the average fan or student to come to a game in November when it may be a little cold or a little rainy and see a blowout is far fetched. I think this new class system is going to make the 1st round of the playoffs a mockery. There will be some good matchups, but 80% of the games will be blowouts. I think you should earn a spot in the playoffs and not have it handed to you.

The whole "watered down" point is getting a little old now... A State Championship is what it is.

 

It all comes down to a list of priorities...and how those currently in power rank them in importance and where they compromise.

 

Geography vs. Competitive Fairness vs. Title Integrity

The whole "watered down" point is getting a little old now... A State Championship is what it is.

 

:thumb:

I tried really hard to care about the new alignment causing "watered down titles;" I really did. In the end, I REFUSE to believe that the number of other titles won means anything to kids on the field. By that logic, why don't we just go back with one?

 

Old School Admiral... I can't agree with your Motor City Bowl analogy. I can tell you right now who cares: that 6-5 team. Now if you've never been 6-5 and never made it to the Motor City Bowl, it means even more. But still, this isn't college football. Nobody in this state HAS to care except the kids. That's what high school athletics are about... or at least are supposed to be about. Even so, I'm pretty sure the boosters and fans of those six state champions next December won't be compaining about their "watered down" title anymore.

hey I HAVE IT. How about we put X,Trinity, Highlands ,Covcath, Boyle, Danville, Mayfield, Beechwood, New Cath, Belfry, and all the other Multiple state champs in their own class and then the rest can fight it out for the 5 watered down championships. AND they can have their TRUE champion.

Not in the eyes of who it matters most with and that is the kids on those championship teams.

 

This is HIGH SCHOOL athletics and it should be about what the kids think and not the adult fans.

 

The kids will think NO LESS of themselves for winning a state title in 6 classes. The front page stories in their local newspaper will be the same. The pep rallies will be the same. The parades afterwards will be the same. The patches for the jackets will be the same. ETC, ETC, ETC.

 

The only difference will be in some adult's mind that wants to believe that. But HS athletics is NOT about what goes on in that adult's mind.

 

I am going to disagree slightly.

 

The pep rallies won't be the same, the fornt page stories won't be the same.

 

Consider the NKY Class A district. Dayton beating Bellevue or Ludlow beating Dayton etc now means knocking the other team out of the playoffs are maybe putting yourself in. Next year it means nothing other than seeding purpose I guess (yes kind of like basketball). Or consider the Class AAAA NKY district. Eight teams for four spots. A dogfight every week, every district game means something.

The students (and players) know whats on the line and get all exited, nervous, pumped up, etc about the game. In '07 they might be checking the TV schedule or the Movie times because everybody gets in (yes kind of like basketball).

hey I HAVE IT. How about we put X,Trinity, Highlands ,Covcath, Boyle, Danville, Mayfield, Beechwood, New Cath, Belfry, and all the other Multiple state champs in their own class and then the rest can fight it out for the 5 watered down championships. AND they can have their TRUE champion.

 

 

Wouldn't bother the Trinity or St.x crowd too much.

I agree with point's from both sides. Overall their will be better football being played in the near future, maybe not the first or second year after the change, but soon. It's kind of like that David and Galioth thing. Teams that should'nt be in the playoffs will eventually start to win those games and ultimatley become better programs, thus more exciting for the fans.

The whole "watered down" point is getting a little old now... A State Championship is what it is.

 

It all comes down to a list of priorities...and how those currently in power rank them in importance and where they compromise.

 

Geography vs. Competitive Fairness vs. Title Integrity

Except now we have 6 instead of 4...that is 2 more than we would have. Sounds somewhat dilluted IMO.

How come we never hear the "watered down" arguement in baseball, basketball, soccer, volleyball, and every other sport that allows EVERY team into the postseason. I don't remember seeing this one in the BB forum in March...

I love football. The more games, the better.

 

I like the idea of two additional championship games and I like the idea of more playoff games. If you like football, how can you be against more games?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.