Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

6 Class System is NOT Watered Down

Featured Replies

Actually the schools pay for a base level of insurance. Some schools may pass this on to the students. But the KHSAA foots the bill for the catastrophic insurance entirely, so you may have bad scoop.

 

What does this have to do with 6 classes? Nothing in my opinion. But you are the one that said the KHSAA did this just to get the Almighty Dollar and I was simply pointing out that the KHSAA has to be concerned with its revenues (and pursuit of the Almighty Dollar). Why did you bring up the Almighty Dollar to begin with if you didn't think it was germane?

 

And what's your logic for having a private school pay more to be in the KHSAA? Other than perhaps your dislike of private schools, which isn't sufficient justification.

1. I think everything the KHSAA does has to do with the almighty dollar.

2. Membership in the KHSAA is a priviledge, not a right...If private schools want to be part of the organization and compete unfairly with public schools then pay for that privildge with a premium membership fee.

BTW...I have nothing against private schools, my son attends one.

 

leatherneck, you take my comments much too seriously.

I'm beginning to think you either work for the KHSAA or are an attorney or both. :)

  • Replies 89
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I think everything the KHSAA does has to do with the almighty dollar.

2. Membership in the KHSAA is a priviledge, not a right...If private schools want to be part of the organization and compete unfairly with public schools then pay for that privildge with a premium membership fee.

BTW...I have nothing against private schools, my son attends one.

 

leatherneck, you take my comments much too seriously.

I'm beginning to think you either work for the KHSAA or are an attorney or both. :)

1. So far offbase. If that was true, why offer sports like golf, tennis, etc, that costs way more money than they bring in. But $$$ does have to be a consideration. I believe it was reported last year that the KHSAA had over a million dollars in legal fees for 2005.

 

2. Why should the private schools have to pay more and why does this help the situation in the least?

That argument doesn't hold water.

The schools involved have the cost of the investigation included in any fines issued.

But not all investigations end in convictions(at least not initally). No fine for a school, means the KHSAA is responsible for the bill.

It's almost as if they want the titles all to themselves and don't want any other team to hold the distinction of being a state champion

Doesn't that only make sense? it does to me. I'd love to go to one class if it were feasible, but it is not.

1. I think everything the KHSAA does has to do with the almighty dollar.

2. Membership in the KHSAA is a priviledge, not a right...If private schools want to be part of the organization and compete unfairly with public schools then pay for that privildge with a premium membership fee.

BTW...I have nothing against private schools, my son attends one.

 

leatherneck, you take my comments much too seriously.

I'm beginning to think you either work for the KHSAA or are an attorney or both. :)

I am an attorney, but don't work for the KHSAA. I do however know some people who are staff members of the KHSAA and assist me with the facts. I also get a lot of info from member schools and coaches.

 

I do take comments on this site, your's and others, seriously because the untruths expressed on here unless corrected, are read by others as being Gospel, which only makes the situation worse, not better. There is more baloney posted on a site by people that unfortunately don't have a clue of the facts but have no problem posting without the facts, that at times I feel we do a disservice to high school sports in Ky. And the Guru has personally asked me to correct the untruths whenever possible.

 

Private schools have the same right to join the KHSAA as public schools do and that is a fact so no premium membership fee is justifiable. The KHSAA is a state agency appointed to run all high school sports, not just those involving public schools. Unless the Ky Statutes are amended (fat chance of that happening), private schools have the same privilege to join as any public school. And BTW, my kids attend public schools and I graduated from one.

Just read a few more posts and I had to comment on one more thing. Ever notice how the "traditional" powers are always against change? I remember when they decided to do away with the polls(for championships) in college football, and the outcry from Mich, OSU, Nebraska, etc. Why? So that teams like Utah, Louisville, etc. couldn't break into their "elite" fraternity. I remember Yankee fans just bashing the idea of a wild card. Why would they want it to change, they've done fine with things the way they have been. If your making the "watered down" argument, I suggest we go back to 1 class. Then we'll only have a 3 BIG teams making the "watered down" claim. ;) Then if you beat them, it will really mean something, as opposed to that paltry title you've been playing for. :lol:

But those other "anologies" have kept the number of champions the same.

Doesn't that only make sense? it does to me. I'd love to go to one class if it were feasible, but it is not.

 

Why not?

Why not?

Yeah, what he said!

It is going to allow a lot of mediocre and poor teams to make the playoffs. I don't want to see an 0-10, 1-9, or 2-8 team in a playoff game, but that is inevitable now.

 

It happens with the system that we already have.

Why not?

Because in a 1 class system, the season would either have to be longer by a couple of weeks, or some actually good teams would not make the playoffs.

In a 1 class system do you think there would be more than 32 teams capable of winning it?

No...I would 4-5 in any given year.

No...I would 4-5 in any given year.

 

 

Then... the solution is easy:

 

Have 10 team districts statewide...only the winner of a district advances in tourney. That cuts the number of playoff weeks wayyyy down.

 

It also has the side benefit of teams ONLY playing district opponents during the regular season.

 

:rolleyes:;)

If Mayfield or Beechwood wonder if they could have beaten Danville or NCC, then they should schedule Danville and NCC as part of their out of district games. Problem solved.

 

Yeah, great idea. Are you going to pay for the travel costs between Danville and Mayfield?

Old School Admiral... I can't agree with your Motor City Bowl analogy. I can tell you right now who cares: that 6-5 team. Now if you've never been 6-5 and never made it to the Motor City Bowl, it means even more. But still, this isn't college football. Nobody in this state HAS to care except the kids. That's what high school athletics are about... or at least are supposed to be about. Even so, I'm pretty sure the boosters and fans of those six state champions next December won't be compaining about their "watered down" title anymore.

 

Well, I would disagree. Maybe teams that have never played in a bowl might be kind of excited about playing in a crappy bowl, but most are not. Don't get me started (meant for another thread) on the imperfections of the DI college post season. I played IAA where there was an actual playoff system, and only the best 16 teams (out of 59) got a shot at the title. If you didn't win your conference or go at least 8-3 your season was over. That's just how it was. We just missed the playoffs one year at 7-4. None of us thought we deserved to be in the mix that year, because we had lost regular season games that we needed to win in order to have that opportunity. That's how it goes.

 

No, this is not college ball, but I would be willing to bet a team that places fourth in their district and is 0-10 is not happy about being in the playoffs when they have to face a Danville or a Beechwood in the first round. Way to prolong the season. That sounds like a great way to reward the kids. That's not rewarding to anybody-the fans, the parents, coaches, or either team. It stinks and it's hard to play in one of those games. I just pray that my team comes out of those games without a senseless injuries.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.