Realignment--Winners & Losers??

BGGreen

Now that it appears to be official, who seems to be the big winners and losers in the new realignment??

In NKY, Beechwood seems to have come out smelling like a rose, losing Bardstown, Danville, NCC, etc. to 2A. Tilghman should like 3A, and LexCath & Boyle Co. in 4A. Interesting 5A district with CovCath, Highlands, Dixie, Scott and Holmes.

What others won or lost in this development??

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed.

Ohio - 800+ teams and 6 classes and one of the most respected football states in the nation. KY - 220 teams and 6 classes? A watered down system!

Wow!! I didn't realize Ohio had over 800 high schools!!

Guest kybigguy42

I would think that Prestonsburg was a huge winner....instead of having to play Belfry and Sheldon Clark.....they now play Morgan County and Bath County.

In re Ohio, unlike Ky, in Ohio's largest class (Division 1), no two teams have dominated the class like they have in Ky. While I think there are a whole lot more reasons than just the size differential that T and X enjoy for their success, the size differential between the largest 4A schools and the smallest 4A school is a reason. By adding two more classes, that size differential is reduced. While I think that X and T will continue to win most of the titles in 6A, at least that excuse will be watered down. The size differential in 1A is also reduced. At the end of the day, the state champs in almost every class will still have to beat at least several very, very good teams.

Letting more teams in the playoffs really doesn't bother me as much as it does some folks. We allow everyone to make it to the playoffs in almost every other sport (every sport?) so it really doesn't matter much. If nothing else, we allow a lot of kids to keep playing football at least one more week so that can't be a bad thing.

If you think your team's road to the state championship is watered down, I'd suggest you tell your head coach to schedule a very challenging out of district schedule to compensate for the lack of competition in your class.

Now that it appears to be official, who seems to be the big winners and losers in the new realignment??

In NKY, Beechwood seems to have come out smelling like a rose, losing Bardstown, Danville, NCC, etc. to 2A. Tilghman should like 3A, and LexCath & Boyle Co. in 4A. Interesting 5A district with CovCath, Highlands, Dixie, Scott and Holmes.

What others won or lost in this development??

I disagree on Beechwood. Since when does shying away from competition make you a winner? Beechwood could have been a part of a great district with Newport, NCC, Holy Cross, and Lloyd (3 of the four of which Beechwood has had historically had some good matchups with). Instead Beechwood chose to be the big kid on the block with Dayton, Bellevue, and Ludlow.

If I were a Beechwood fan/player/coach, I would have rather played in 2A.