June 13, 201610 yr Author Are you saying that I, a law abiding citizen, should have to wait months to be able to purchase an AR-15 or similar rifle? I'm ignorant to gun laws. Is there a background check done when one wants to purchase an AR-15? How long does it take?
June 13, 201610 yr I'm ignorant to gun laws. Is there a background check done when one wants to purchase an AR-15? How long does it take? Yes, there is a background check. If, like me. you are a CCW holder and have been vetted, it is quick and painless, as it should be. I pass the check, I get my rifle then and there.
June 13, 201610 yr Agreed, I'm not an anti-gun person by any means. There is no reason you can go purchase an AR and get it same day with his background or anyone else for that matter. There should be a period of time (3 months, 6 months) that you have to wait to get it. Other than I want it because I can, there is no reason you need access to a weapon like that. It's not going to fix the problem completely. Nothing will... Now you've really gone and done it. Gun advocates are about to come out of the wood work on this one.
June 13, 201610 yr Now you've really gone and done it. Gun advocates are about to come out of the wood work on this one. Oh I know. I wanted to bring it up 3 pages ago but wasn't ready for the mess that came with it. :lol2:
June 13, 201610 yr That is correct, yes. How do you justify this? A blanket ban, requiring months of waiting, solves what exactly, when it is someone like me, who has been previously vetted and can legally own and carry?
June 13, 201610 yr Author Yes, there is a background check. If, like me. you are a CCW holder and have been vetted, it is quick and painless, as it should be. I pass the check, I get my rifle then and there. Educate me, please. When you say you are "vetted" what exactly is being vetted? Is the check seeing if you have a felony? Is the check seeing if you are on a terrorist list/do not fly list? If you have your CCW what might cause you to be denied to buy a gun? It sounds like you being a suspected terrorist would NOT stop you if I am following along with some of the online discussions.
June 13, 201610 yr Because they want to downplay it. His father was anti-american and anti-homosexual. His religious upbringing did have something to do with it. Orlando shooting gunman Omar Mateen father Seddique Mateen a Taliban supporter says God will punish gays - CBS News I was wondering. I heard it on The Breakfast Club this morning while they were talking about it. I assume they got their news from various outlets. From what I understand it is the girlfriend or ex-girlfriend and co-workers who are providing information on this cat.
June 13, 201610 yr Vetted, in this situation, means that I have applied for my CCW, I have been screened for whatever criteria they take into consideration to approve or disapprove, and have been granted a CCW license. I'm sure they check to see if I have any recent issues that came up after initial licensing, but I do not know the extent of what they are looking at or for.
June 13, 201610 yr Author I saw a tweet with video from the President at a PBS town hall meeting. He mentioned how legislation has over the years driven down auto accidents and fatalities as support for some sort of gun control legislation. There was a problem and it was addressed via legislation that has led to safer automobiles and roads. Where is he wrong that using similar logic can help in the area of gun safety? He's not saying it's foolproof. Cars can be driven drunk. They can be driven without wearing seatbelts so we don't need to say "criminals will still get guns." What common-sense regulation would gun owners support?
June 13, 201610 yr How do you justify this? A blanket ban, requiring months of waiting, solves what exactly, when it is someone like me, who has been previously vetted and can legally own and carry? If you are like most people you are buying it and sitting it in your gun locker to take out every few months to shot in the woods for fun. What is the harm in putting a small wait on actually receiving the weapon? Maybe the wait deters the shooter for any number of different reasons. There is no way to quantify how much it would actually help. Maybe the shooter steals one and still carries about the attack. A ton of different ways it could play out. It's just a small step that could potentially help. What is your reason for needing the AR that same day other than because you can? Maybe someone like yourself who has been vetted could have that period reduced or waived. What we have done up to this point isn't working. Sitting around and doing nothing isn't the answer.
June 13, 201610 yr Author Vetted, in this situation, means that I have applied for my CCW, I have been screened for whatever criteria they take into consideration to approve or disapprove, and have been granted a CCW license. I'm sure they check to see if I have any recent issues that came up after initial licensing, but I do not know the extent of what they are looking at or for. Thanks. My concern would be the multitude of databases (federal/state/local) that may not be talking to one another at the time of the purchase. How updated is the data being used? What exactly is a reason to now allow a sale? Those would be fair questions to ask before we can simply say "I've been vetted so...."
June 13, 201610 yr What is your reason for needing the AR that same day other than because you can? There isn't one.
June 13, 201610 yr It's amazing to me that only 100 or 103 were shot if this guy had 3 hours. I am amazed that he had 3 hours. How does that happen?
June 13, 201610 yr If you are like most people you are buying it and sitting it in your gun locker to take out every few months to shot in the woods for fun. What is the harm in putting a small wait on actually receiving the weapon? Maybe the wait deters the shooter for any number of different reasons. There is no way to quantify how much it would actually help. Maybe the shooter steals one and still carries about the attack. A ton of different ways it could play out. It's just a small step that could potentially help. What is your reason for needing the AR that same day other than because you can? I agree with this. Plus, maybe the extended waiting time allows a more thorough background check that may uncover things in a person such as this guys past that would disqualify him from the purchase. For law-abiding citizens like WhoozYoDaddy, sure it's a minor inconvenience, but so are a number of other tedious things we all have to deal with every day.
June 13, 201610 yr If you are like most people you are buying it and sitting it in your gun locker to take out every few months to shot in the woods for fun. What is the harm in putting a small wait on actually receiving the weapon? Maybe the wait deters the shooter for any number of different reasons. There is no way to quantify how much it would actually help. Maybe the shooter steals one and still carries about the attack. A ton of different ways it could play out. It's just a small step that could potentially help. What is your reason for needing the AR that same day other than because you can? Maybe there is a coyote problem on my land. Maybe my current rifle is broken and I want another. Maybe I feel safer in my home with a weapon like this. Maybe I do not want to wait months to be able to target shoot with a weapon I can legally own. Maybe I want to use it for hunting. Any number of reasons. A semi automatic rifle, which fires one round per trigger pull is not an evil tool. Those who choose to use that tool for evil, are the evil.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.