Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shooting At Gay Night Club In Orlando

Featured Replies

A quick Google search shows 28 states having a gun safety/training requirement.

 

That would be most. Right?

  • Replies 728
  • Views 54.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your post that you would require a months long waiting period to purchase a weapon like a Ruger 22 plinking rifle. How does that make any sense?

 

I just used 3/6 months as my example. I don't know what would be the appropriate time. How does doing nothing make sense?

I realize this has been the argument about this type of rifle: Trivialize what it actually is. If this rifle isn't significantly more powerful or fires at a higher rate then no one will miss it.

 

I realize a ban ain't happening, but there needs to be a few more questions asked when you are buying some of these guns. Any ole Joe Blo shouldn't be able to get one.

 

You do realize it fires just as fast as any other semi automatic rifle, right?

Do we know when he purchased the gun? Also, if they have to wait 10 days will that change the results of the FBI background check they perform? Or are you saying maybe the 10 days will allow the person to cool off?

 

Last week according to reports.

 

Bigger concern is that he was able to do this after having been interviewed by the FBI twice...and yet, no concern when he purchased.

 

I'm not a fan of the government getting involved in my gun purchasing, but I have to believe this was a good trial case. If the FBI interviews you once, ok, no problem, but twice and you still can buy over the counter....not sure we got it right on this one. In particular in light of the circumstances surrounding this guy and his family.

8 hours of classes regarding gun safety and laws. A shooting test and hands on instruction training to carry and shoot responsibly. Most states that allow carry have a training requirement.

 

I'd rather see new purchasers have to get this to purchase rather than any ban except those on watch lists.

  • Author
That would be most. Right?

 

By definition, yes.

 

It also means 44% of the states have no requirement. So getting back to the vehicle safety/driver's license scenario, we are not talking apples to apples.

I realize this has been the argument about this type of rifle: Trivialize what it actually is. If this rifle isn't significantly more powerful or fires at a higher rate then no one will miss it.

 

I realize a ban ain't happening, but there needs to be a few more questions asked when you are buying some of these guns. Any ole Joe Blo shouldn't be able to get one.

 

Your right, just the criminal who will get them black market. I probably know 20-25 people who own a ar15 or ak47 and none of them have killed anyone. But I guarantee they got your back if it goes down. It's like insurance you don't need it till you need it. Funny people will protect their car, house but not their life.

I don't see the necessity in having one, but I don't condemn other people who do. But I don't think anybody (minus LEO's) should be able to walk into a gun store and leave same day with one, regardless of what tests they've taken.

 

I fully support background checks. They scrutinize a person wanting a gun harder than anyone entering the country. What more is needed?

I stand corrected on the Banning portion. I did not read thoroughlly. That said, is there a legitimate reason to impose a waiting period for a 22 plinker?

 

Your not reading thoroughly is pretty common with most pro-gun folks. One mention of maybe making it a bit tougher to get a gun and everyone freaks out.

 

As far as a legitimate reason for a waiting period... If one person is deterred from carrying out one of these terrible acts because they have to wait longer to get the gun, it's worth it.

 

What is the difference between getting your gun today versus two weeks from now?

I fully support background checks. They scrutinize a person wanting a gun harder than anyone entering the country. What more is needed?

 

Clearly something more is needed. This guy was investigated twice by the FBI, had been on their watch list, etc and the current process said he was okay to purchase a gun. That should have never been allowed.

I fully support background checks. They scrutinize a person wanting a gun harder than anyone entering the country. What more is needed?

 

A background check can't be that thorough in the five minutes that some take now days.

The week prior is what I read. It certainly would allow for more time for a more extensive check. It's possible he could rethink in that period of time sure. I also said it's possible he will go and steal one and do it anyway. The point is doing nothing isn't helping. I'm not trying to take anyone's guns away. I own an AR-15. I literally have no reason at all to have a gun like that. I get that you guys are saying, but there are simple things we could do that could provide at least a little bit of protection. It shouldn't be as easy as it was for him. I would like my child to grow up in a world where you don't have to carry a gun to be safe. It seems like most of you want to continue down the path we are currently on and it's not a good one.

 

Unfortunately, that world is gone forever. We live a new normal. IMO it is better to be prepared to face this new normal and have the ability to fight back effectively, than to be passive and just hope the evil doers will leave us alone.

Your right, just the criminal who will get them black market. I probably know 20-25 people who own a ar15 or ak47 and none of them have killed anyone. But I guarantee they got your back if it goes down. It's like insurance you don't need it till you need it. Funny people will protect their car, house but not their life.

 

I'm certain you don't need that weapon to protect your life.

It's not a valid argument to say criminals would get an illegal weapon on the black market. A comparable argument would be minors can get alcohol anyway so we just lower the drinking age.

 

Seriously, guys, I can't wrap my mind around why we can't intensity screening and training on new gun owners.

Your not reading thoroughly is pretty common with most pro-gun folks. One mention of maybe making it a bit tougher to get a gun and everyone freaks out.

 

As far as a legitimate reason for a waiting period... If one person is deterred from carrying out one of these terrible acts because they have to wait longer to get the gun, it's worth it.

 

What is the difference between getting your gun today versus two weeks from now?

 

Because there is no statistical study that indicates that waiting periods reduce violence.

 

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2015/apr/27/van-wanggaard/no-evidence-waiting-period-handgun-purchases-reduc/

Unfortunately, that world is gone forever. We live a new normal. IMO it is better to be prepared to face this new normal and have the ability to fight back effectively, than to be passive and just hope the evil doers will leave us alone.

IMO that's a short sighted and terrible solution. You would rather face that as a reality than try to do something that helps.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.