June 13, 201610 yr there some on both sides that don't want to hear anything. There is more to it than just gun control. 2/3's of all gun deaths are suicides, perhaps a better health care system would be better suited. Some of it is gang related. Maybe better a education system to give some the inner-city youth a better chance at life than resorting to joining a gang. Agreed, however, Healthcare and education takes time. If we are looking to protect our nation from terrorists and unbalanced individuals taking advantage of the freedoms our nation provides, we need to look at answers that will make immediate impacts: thorough background checks, mandated training, and extended waiting periods would be a start.
June 13, 201610 yr You dont know that, what if Joe bob is a former marine that has lots of training, or other branch of service, or former police officer? Joe Bob isn't your average Joe Bob. He's one of they very very small percentage of people that could possibly handle that situation.
June 13, 201610 yr Agreed, however, Healthcare and education takes time. If we are looking to protect our nation from terrorists and unbalanced individuals taking advantage of the freedoms our nation provides, we need to look at answers that will make immediate impacts: thorough background checks, mandated training, and extended waiting periods would be a start. As I have previously stated, longer waiting periods have no evidence that they work for lowering violence.
June 13, 201610 yr No doubt. But there are ways to remove yourself from the situation without needing a gun. Really? How would you suggest that a woman living in a 3rd floor apartment with her small children, remove herself from the situation where her boyfriend is breaking down her bedroom door?
June 13, 201610 yr As I have previously stated, longer waiting periods have no evidence that they work for lowering violence. And neither has doing the same thing we've always done... So why is one a better solution than the other?
June 13, 201610 yr Really? How would you suggest that a woman living in a 3rd floor apartment with her small children, remove herself from the situation where her boyfriend is breaking down her bedroom door? 9-1-1.
June 13, 201610 yr The small waiting period (whatever that may be) would allow for more in depth background checks. As of now I don't see anyway that's possible. I think we're saying the same thing. I agree a more in depth background check would require more time. I'm just not in favor of saying "You have to wait X months to make a purchase". There are a lot of people who just want to apply an arbitrary number to a waiting period.
June 13, 201610 yr I would have no problem with a more in depth background check for people who are purchasing their first weapon. The key is that it be a more in depth background check - not just some arbitrary waiting period! If you're going to just make someone wait to get the weapon, and not do a more in depth background check, then it's pointless. Fix the background check not just put in a waiting period. Then, IMO, once you have passed the background check, you get a gun owner's license and you should be able to walk in and same day purchase whatever you want. Renew every 4 years. If you don't let it expire, you can same day purchase anytime. I don't think anyone is really advocating a waiting period without something being done behind the scenes during that time. As to your other point...A scenario to consider... A young man goes through the process and has no flags raised, passes with ease and gets his first weapon. Fast forward 5 years, same guy who has recently been through a long, nasty, sometimes violent marriage, and had numerous domestics comes in and tries to purchase another gun...No update to the background check? Or maybe there is something done already, I'm not sure. I guess my point is, that there has to be some way to update the background information because who we are at 22 is not who we are at 40. I must have been editing it while you hit the quote. I was adding that it should have to be renewed every 4 years.
June 13, 201610 yr I'm more interested in how he was able to be employed by an important security firm? A co-worker who complained about this guy being unstable and his talk of killing people ended up quitting over the fact that the company didn't take the threat seriously. And, when was he in prison? And for what reason? Obviously the signs where there as a co-worker say them, and the Fed's investigated him a few times. I know it was brought up more than likely as a joke, but the Fed's spread themselves too thin, this has always been an issue. Concentrate on the biggest dangers, concentrate on the most important information, and that starts by not collecting anything and everyone for the sole reason that you are able to, too much clutter hides the real threats. I ask this as this event and the one that thankfully by some luck or miracle the police were able to prevent another tragedy at the L.A. gay pride event yesterday, I would look long and hard at both these events and both these men. I say it's a shame that the guy who murdered the people in Orlando is dead because we can get information such and why and how, and what went on and what is going on in their minds. One was a radical Islamist, the other seems to be a white guy that is not Muslim. If we find what is similar in these two peoples minds we may end up one day having valuable information to figure these people out before an tragedy. It's more than a person being a member of or being led by radicals of one religion, it's their thinking, what makes them tick? If the guy in Orlando couldn't buy firearms, would he then go make pipe bombs? As that is what is being said that the guy from Indiana on his way to the L.A. gay pride event had, pipe bombs. How and why did he get spotted and stopped? I'm all for reasonable safety checks, even if one could then look on the internet and build some rule of device, but we need to do it in a way that won't harm honest level-headed people. I don't mind waiting a few weeks, or a month to purchase a firearm, IF what they are doing is actually working to help prevent tragedies.
June 13, 201610 yr 9-1-1. It had better be a strong door if that is your solution. You blame the victims, them expect them to call 911...
June 13, 201610 yr And neither has doing the same thing we've always done... So why is one a better solution than the other? Because we haven't fully funded the background system. Adding more laws are not going to do a thing if we actually don't properly fund it. Essentially, what i'm saying Deuce is that adding more laws is not going to work if we don't actually implement them.
June 13, 201610 yr As I have previously stated, longer waiting periods have no evidence that they work for lowering violence. In the article you posted. Other studies dispute that. Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence – Gun Law Information Experts Common sense tells me anger may subside after 10 -60 days.
June 13, 201610 yr Terrorist attacked Paris and they went after the terrorist. Terrorist attacked Orlando and we go after the guns.
June 13, 201610 yr I must have been editing it while you hit the quote. I was adding that it should have to be renewed every 4 years. I think that's a reasonable time-frame. I'd could support something like that, with the more in-depth rigorous background check with first time purchases.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.