2016 Forcht Bank King of the Bluegrass

The KOB would love to have Indiana schools. This has been our wish for 36 years. Indiana schools can play one game across the river but NO TOURNAMENTS.

Has the state of Indiana had that rule for some time? I never knew this but as I think about it KHSAA vs IHSAA games aren't too common. I bet you've wanted quite a few IHSAA teams to visit the KOB throughout the years.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amazing to me that Indiana still has that type of rule. There have also been years including this upcoming one with New Albany that teams from there would be invited to the huge Christmas tourneys such as the City of Palms in Fort Myers Fl, where Ballard, Trinity, Scott County among others have played in or even won. Such a shame. This field is amazing though. Looks like the best of the best in Ky. I know 2 of the out of state teams (Allatoona & Lee) will represent themselves very well. I imagine the other 2 will as well.

Why no Bullitt East this year?

They lost a ton and aren't the same team they were the last 2 years. They will still be good and compete, but not among the teams that are listed. That would be my guess anyway. Looking forward to seeing Lee from AL, always a great program. Tourney is defiantly loaded and must see couple of games.

We talked to Bullitt East. We are loyal to our coaches and teams. They (Bullitt East) came to the KOB when they "were loaded"…therefore we offered them a spot out of loyalty, they didn't have a coach at the time and felt it would be best to let the new coach decide where he wanted to play. We (Fairdale and the KOB) have nothing but respect for BE. I assure you they will be back in the near future. We have always been loyal to those who chose the KOB over other National Tournaments. We also help teams get in tournaments after Christmas.

There could be alot of nice matchups. I think Hollingsworth vs Sloan are most likey the 2 top college prospects in the '17 class in Kentucky. Louisville vs Lexington sorta thing. A potential matchup of Cov Cath vs Trinity would be interesting.

No Tavin Lovan is #1 in that class.... If you haven't seen him play, get ready for a show! I also like Tony Jackson and Jaylen Sebree....

I know, its clearly the IHSAA's fault. I would normally defend Indiana basketball to the death but in this rule and when it comes to the post season tournament (Indiana having 4 seperate state champs vs Kentucky's sweet 16), kentucky has it better.

Ya, theres been a few teams I would have liked to see in the KOB over the years, maybe 1 or 2 each yr. New Albany would have been a perfect choice this yr. If you are within an hour or so of New Albany I would recommend coming to watch this Romeo kid, UK, Kansas, Duke, Louisville, UCLA, IU, LSU have all offered. One of the best I've seen. The state of Indiana has 4 seniors in the top 40 nationally, would have been great choices of a tourney like the KOB, too bad.

I cant wait to see this Lovan kid play now, will probably be my only chance to watch him. Couldnt ask for better teams or talent in Kentucky than this lineup.

The KOB would love to have Indiana schools. This has been our wish for 36 years. Indiana schools can play one game across the river but NO TOURNAMENTS.

Why would the King of the bluegrass want Indiana schools? Kinda defeats the purpose of the name doesn't it?

This event speaks for itself being 35 years of excellence, a gem for the reputation of high school basketball. If you have never been, come at least once if you are a high school basketball fan. The quality of teams is up there every year with all the elite national holiday tourneys, and this year is no exception. But be prepared to come early on certain nights as those of us in Louisville can vouch that the gym gets packed. Hats off to the KOB.

• 4 months later...

36th Annual Forcht Bank King of the Bluegrass

December 16 - 20, 2016

28 games in five days

12 Kentucky Schools

4 out-of-state

TEAMS IN BOLD / RED ARE IN THIS YEARS CLASSIC

Courier-Journal's Preseason Poll

1.Bowling Green-4th region.

2.Lou.Trinity-7th region.

3.Paul Dunbar-11th region.

4.Scott County-11th region