Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

You Rank 'Em: Top 10 2018 players in Kentucky

Featured Replies

No Way that Cooper Robb from Scott County is not on this list. The kid can play and has led Scott County the last two years at the point guard position. Kid is athletic and is also a 3 sport star. I agree with Kunkel, to me the best 2018 in NKY.

  • Replies 98
  • Views 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love love love watching that Kunkel kid play. Great kid, great family !! Instant offence, just add water. Underrated Defense as well. Sullivan at Cooper will always demand more on defense until these kids leave as seniors. I'd put Kunkel at 6' 3" mayby even taller by now. If he gets 6'5" or 6'6" like his dad. With those balls skills and shot, no reason why some one won't pick him up. Who ever it is will get a steal. Basketball IQ through the roof.

  • Author
No Way that Cooper Robb from Scott County is not on this list. The kid can play and has led Scott County the last two years at the point guard position. Kid is athletic and is also a 3 sport star. I agree with Kunkel, to me the best 2018 in NKY.

 

To my knowledge, he doesn't play spring AAU, which would be why coaches haven't seen him.

 

I did see that CJ Frederick of Cov Cath has a New Orleans offer now.

To my knowledge, he doesn't play spring AAU, which would be why coaches haven't seen him.

 

I did see that CJ Frederick of Cov Cath has a New Orleans offer now.

 

That's great for CJ. I doubt it will be his only offer. Like Kunkel his body is still developing and isn't where it will be and they BOTH shoot well. They will be fun to watch over the next two seasons.

That's great for CJ. I doubt it will be his only offer. Like Kunkel his body is still developing and isn't where it will be and they BOTH shoot well. They will be fun to watch over the next two seasons.

 

Sounds like a lot of coaches know CJ's cell number. They were allowed to start texting a few days ago and are taking advantage of it. While being on someone's radar doesn't mean offers are forthcoming it's better than NOT being on the radar.

No Way that Cooper Robb from Scott County is not on this list. The kid can play and has led Scott County the last two years at the point guard position. Kid is athletic and is also a 3 sport star. I agree with Kunkel, to me the best 2018 in NKY.

 

Athletic but shoots a low percentage, poor shot selection and too many turnovers imo. Lots of potential though. It will be interesting to see how much he can improve over the next couple years.

I watched the 9th region tournament last year and I would have to say that Brennan Hall from Newport Catholic should be on the list. Weyer and Hall carried NewCath to the state tournament. I will not put him over anyone on the list for i havent seen most of them play.

A report says Anthony Wales has committed to Samford.

A report says Anthony Wales has committed to Samford.

 

Yes, Fern Creek was down at Samford team camp along with Hopkinsville today when this happened. Heard feedback that Fern Creek was very good down there going 3-0 versus some of the top teams in AL. Beat Homewood, AL convincingly after the Homewood team had easily by Hopkinsville by about the same margin. Also beat Carver who has one of the better programs in the state.

I watched the 9th region tournament last year and I would have to say that Brennan Hall from Newport Catholic should be on the list. Weyer and Hall carried NewCath to the state tournament. I will not put him over anyone on the list for i havent seen most of them play.

 

Agree. As a CCH guy, Hall (& Kunkel) make me nervous in terms of body strength/size for Guards versus our lighter/quick 1's and 2's.

If there is a 2018 list of top players then Jay Scrugg (Trinity) and Curt Lewis (Valley) def need to be on it.

 

I've watched both of these guys play this summer and they are both def top 10 players in this class.

 

Jay 6'5 lefty that does absolutely everything he wants on the court. Shoots it at a high level. Scores at a high level and runs the floor and jumps out the gym.

 

Curt 6'4 PG super freak athlete. Jumps out the gym and passes his butt off and gets to the hole whenever. He also can rebound like a 6'10 guy and finishes well.

 

Jay transferred from Central his freshman year and had to sit out his sophomore year. Look for him to add impact to an already loaded trinity team.

 

Curt started freshman and sophomore year at Valley and was the main reason for the surprising success they had. He was 2nd team all 6th region and according to pure prospects his interests include Xavier, Georgia state, EKU WKU, NKU, Evansville & Ohio

 

These are both top D1 talents and word around Louisville is Jay is pro potential.

 

You are absolutely right. Great talent. If he would've played his freshman year that team for Central that already knocked off Manual, Trinity, and PRP would've been much better. He was the best player in the program that year, and they were a top 10 team in the state. If this kid gets on the court and handles his business, he could be the next pro out of the city. Like Curt, just needs to mature a little. Once he does skies the limit.

 

Curt is a beast as well and is a high major d1 type player if he improves his jumpshot.

You are absolutely right. Great talent. If he would've played his freshman year that team for Central that already knocked off Manual, Trinity, and PRP would've been much better. He was the best player in the program that year, and they were a top 10 team in the state. If this kid gets on the court and handles his business, he could be the next pro out of the city. Like Curt, just needs to mature a little. Once he does skies the limit.

 

Curt is a beast as well and is a high major d1 type player if he improves his jumpshot.

 

I saw Curt for the first time last Saturday and really enjoyed watching him play. I see why folks are saying good things about him and getting his name out there. Very strong and athletic player.

  • Author

I love that people casually throw out the term "pro potential". I don't think everyone realizes how hard it is to become a professional basketball player. And I'm not talking NBA, I'm talking playing pro anywhere.

I love that people casually throw out the term "pro potential". I don't think everyone realizes how hard it is to become a professional basketball player. And I'm not talking NBA, I'm talking playing pro anywhere.

 

Just got off the phone with someone and we were talking about how hard it is to be "D1 potential" and now we've got people saying "pro potential" for a 16 yr old.

Just got off the phone with someone and we were talking about how hard it is to be "D1 potential" and now we've got people saying "pro potential" for a 16 yr old.

 

The issue is people have very few examples to compare what a potential pro or even D1 prospect is when you are in a city/state that produces very few of them. The most recent true pro prospect that has came out of Louisville is Raymond Spalding. He could guard the 1-5 and is 6'9" with elite length & athletic as they come. Before that we had De'Angelo (part time) and of course Rondo. So how are you able to recognize a pro?

There are plenty with size and elite athletic ability, but that does not make you a pro or D1 prospect. How well do you shoot, how well do you handle the ball, and most importantly how crazy are you about developing your game. If you are on the side of being a fanatic about making it you have a very small chance. If you are on the side of not working hard and questionable work ethic on & off the court you have no chance. I don't know about either of these two in terms of their commitment to development, but it starts with that unless you are close to 7 foot tall and blessed with raw talent.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.