Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

You Rank 'Em: Top 10 2018 players in Kentucky

Featured Replies

There are plenty with size and elite athletic ability, but that does not make you a pro or D1 prospect. How well do you shoot, how well do you handle the ball, and most importantly how crazy are you about developing your game. If you are on the side of being a fanatic about making it you have a very small chance. If you are on the side of not working hard and questionable work ethic on & off the court you have no chance. [/Quote]

 

This......I can't tell you how many really athletic and gifted 15 thru HS basketball players I have seen that have D1 potential. Problem is most rely on that and are satisfied and get no better or disappear in the next level world. Magnify the effort and discipline needed to play pro ball by 10 times, and you have a CHANCE to even make a pro team. Most people can't even imagine the time and effort it takes to get to that level, natural ability defiantly helps, but even the gifted spend there life in the gym.

 

For example, I was privileged to workout and help train a guy who spent about 15 years in the Association. He had the size and athletic body at 6' 10" and had a great college career. He was drafted first round, 18th, by the Pistons. I worked with him during the first 5 summers he was in the league. To make a long story short, we'd spend about a total of 9 hours day and night on the court, lifting weights, and watching film. I was amazed at the time and energy he put in, and his response to me to why he worked so hard in the off season was really simple, THATS what it takes. He was never a real super star in the league but made a lot of money and did what he loved to do. Talent and ability will open the door, hard work and discipline are the only thing that allows you to walk through it, and most players want all the results, but just aren't willing to put in the effort.

  • Replies 98
  • Views 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got off the phone with someone and we were talking about how hard it is to be "D1 potential" and now we've got people saying "pro potential" for a 16 yr old.

 

I say pro potential for Jay Scruggs because I've seen him play. Also, his coach his freshman year (Bibby) who's coached two first rounders in Rondo and Russell in high school also felt that the kid has that potential if he keeps his head on straight. Same way Romeo Langford of New Albany is 16 and has pro potential, though he's more seasoned than Jay right now. This isn't used lightly when referring to him.

I say pro potential for Jay Scruggs because I've seen him play. Also, his coach his freshman year (Bibby) who's coached two first rounders in Rondo and Russell in high school also felt that the kid has that potential if he keeps his head on straight. Same way Romeo Langford of New Albany is 16 and has pro potential, though he's more seasoned than Jay right now. This isn't used lightly when referring to him.

 

I will give you Romeo has pro potential, he actually has a really good chance to be in the NBA in about 3 years. He has unbelievable work ethic in addition to being a high level athlete with equal skill. I have seen Jay play too and beside their athletic comparison there is not much else they share yet. Romeo has put a team on his shoulders and won a State HS Basketball Championship. He plays up an age group on the Adidas circuit at the 17U division with accomplishments to drive being recognized as the #2 ranked player nationally. To me that is serious pro potential. Jay may have it in him, and we are talking potential so that has a vast meaning but he and Romeo are in the same graduating class so he has to turn it on real quick or it will be past him.

  • Author

Romeo Langford is a no doubt pro player. Like 1 and done and top 5 draft pick. If there is a kid in Ky with that potential, please point me in their direction

Jay may have it in him, and we are talking potential so that has a vast meaning but he and Romeo are in the same graduating class so he has to turn it on real quick or it will be past him.

 

This is the HUGE difference. If your aren't in the elite national players group, even if you are ranked 1 or 2 in the state of Kentucky by the end of Sophomore year, potential or not, chances of you being in the NBA are VERY slim. Doesn't mean you can't play in the Pros, just not in the NBA. Yes, there are some exception, Anthony Davis, but they can be counted on 2 hands. I have seen Romeo play about 4-5 times, he is special, I have also seen the other kids play, they are very good. Special gets you to the NBA, very good lets you play at the higher next level.

 

Regardless, all the players talked about have a bright future.

ODU offered Fitzgerald.

If there is a 2018 list of top players then Jay Scrugg (Trinity) and Curt Lewis (Valley) def need to be on it.

 

I've watched both of these guys play this summer and they are both def top 10 players in this class.

 

Jay 6'5 lefty that does absolutely everything he wants on the court. Shoots it at a high level. Scores at a high level and runs the floor and jumps out the gym.

 

Curt 6'4 PG super freak athlete. Jumps out the gym and passes his butt off and gets to the hole whenever. He also can rebound like a 6'10 guy and finishes well.

 

Jay transferred from Central his freshman year and had to sit out his sophomore year. Look for him to add impact to an already loaded trinity team.

 

Curt started freshman and sophomore year at Valley and was the main reason for the surprising success they had. He was 2nd team all 6th region and according to pure prospects his interests include Xavier, Georgia state, EKU WKU, NKU, Evansville & Ohio

 

These are both top D1 talents and word around Louisville is Jay is pro potential.

 

Curt was probably one of my favorite kids to coach at Next Up's camp. Loved his game, can do a little bit of everything with +athleticism. His drive & competiveness is his most impressive. Whatever his potential is he'll reach it...one of those kids that "gets it".

 

Jay is a very impressive player, it's evident that the kid has major game. As far as pro potential, I didn't think had the highest ceiling in the camp so either we had about 10-15 guys w pro potential or this is a little bit of an overstatement.

 

Also, I hate to bring this up as I don't want to perpetuate rumors, but some kids at camp when asked about Jay said that he might have some issues with grades. I have no way of knowing if it's true or not, hopefully transferring to Trinity set him on the right track in that regard.

Adam Kunkel is no doubt a top 10 player in the state. Finally getting the well deserved recognition while playing with the Travelers against some of the top competition in the country.

 

 

Do you have Kunkel over Fredrick?

Do you have Kunkel over Fredrick?

 

Clyde, I know your trying to pull my chain with this. I know CJ has gotten a couple of offers and I am happy for him. Yes, I do have Kunkel over him. Just like all the hype over CVH. I would take Sean McNeil every day of the week over him. Let's let the next 2 years take care of itself and we will see then how it all plays out.

Clyde' date=' I know your trying to pull my chain with this. I know CJ has gotten a couple of offers and I am happy for him. Yes, I do have Kunkel over him. Just like all the hype over CVH. I would take Sean McNeil every day of the week over him. Let's let the next 2 years take care of itself and we will see then how it all plays out.[/quote']

 

No chain pulling. You are a staunch advocate for Kunkel so I was seeing how staunch.

 

This 9th region 2018 class is going to be fun to watch the next two years with CJ and Adam leading the way.

No chain pulling. You are a staunch advocate for Kunkel so I was seeing how staunch.

 

This 9th region 2018 class is going to be fun to watch the next two years with CJ and Adam leading the way.

 

You're right. That class is definitely a solid group. Wishing all of them success. No individual player can succeed without the help of the whole team.

You're right. That class is definitely a solid group. Wishing all of them success. No individual player can succeed without the help of the whole team.

 

So much talent in the 9th Region. ESPNU should look into televising the CCH/Cooper game - won't be nearly enough seats to accommodate everyone for what could be a classic.

 

I've seen all these kids play - this is the year for Cooper to take the next step as a program by winning the 9th and going to State. The only way that happens is if McNeil and Kunkel lead them. They have a ton on talent but no champions at this point - their best players have to step up.

 

Personally - if Cooper stays healthy - I think this is their year. McNeil's legacy is cemented and Kunkel asserts himself as the best 2018 player in the 9th region, and one of the best in the state.

 

I wish the season could start tomorrow...

So much talent in the 9th Region. ESPNU should look into televising the CCH/Cooper game - won't be nearly enough seats to accommodate everyone for what could be a classic. I've seen all these kids play - this is the year for Cooper to take the next step as a program by winning the 9th and going to State. The only way that happens is if McNeil and Kunkel lead them. They have a ton on talent but no champions at this point - their best players have to step up. Personally - if Cooper stays healthy - I think this is their year. McNeil's legacy is cemented and Kunkel asserts himself as the best 2018 player in the 9th region' date=' and one of the best in the state. I wish the season could start tomorrow...[/quote']

 

I would say that game at CCH will be a sellout.

This is the HUGE difference. If your aren't in the elite national players group, even if you are ranked 1 or 2 in the state of Kentucky by the end of Sophomore year, potential or not, chances of you being in the NBA are VERY slim. Doesn't mean you can't play in the Pros, just not in the NBA. Yes, there are some exception, Anthony Davis, but they can be counted on 2 hands. I have seen Romeo play about 4-5 times, he is special, I have also seen the other kids play, they are very good. Special gets you to the NBA, very good lets you play at the higher next level.

 

Regardless, all the players talked about have a bright future.

 

This is all true. Romeo is special. Not only in ability, but work ethic and character. When looking at potential, I went by the literal definition - having or showing the capacity to become or develop into something into something in the future. I say Jay has that potential. He has size and athleticism, and the feel for the game. Whether he realizes that is on him. Some kids are great high school players, but don't have realistic pro potential. Whether Jay or any other kid that may have potential actual reaches that is no doubt up to work ethic, character, and the Man upstairs. When I said he had pro potential I didn't say he was NBA bound. I said he has potential. It's on Jay to get on the court first to play, and then to work on his game and become a better player to reach that potential if he really wants it. Hundreds of kids with the potential around the world. Only a few with the work ethic and character to make it. But he has to develop that. That's the key word. But he has the potential to develop into that if he wants.

This is all true. Romeo is special. Not only in ability, but work ethic and character. When looking at potential, I went by the literal definition - having or showing the capacity to become or develop into something into something in the future. I say Jay has that potential. He has size and athleticism, and the feel for the game. Whether he realizes that is on him. Some kids are great high school players, but don't have realistic pro potential. Whether Jay or any other kid that may have potential actual reaches that is no doubt up to work ethic, character, and the Man upstairs. When I said he had pro potential I didn't say he was NBA bound. I said he has potential. It's on Jay to get on the court first to play, and then to work on his game and become a better player to reach that potential if he really wants it. Hundreds of kids with the potential around the world. Only a few with the work ethic and character to make it. But he has to develop that. That's the key word. But he has the potential to develop into that if he wants.

 

I think our degrees of separation are minimal in this instance:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.