Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

You Rank 'Em: Top 10 2018 players in Kentucky

Featured Replies

I have not seen COBE play but I have heard some nice things about his game and I hope to see him play this year.

 

I have seen all of the players on my list play, I watch a lot of HS ball I guess. Plus have the pleasure of seeing some of these kids workout, in fact, watching 3 of them now going through shooting workout.

 

Regardless of the number next to the name or if on a list or not, this is a very solid and deep class.

  • Replies 98
  • Views 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 15

1. Trevor Faulkner - mercer county

2. Steven Fitzgerald - southwestern

3. Andrew Taylor - Corbin

4. JJ Reed - Paducah Tilghman

5. Wyatt Battaile - Pikeville

6. Mickey Pearson - John Hardin

7. Justin Mitchell - Henry clay

8. Stephon Franklin - Louisville Doss

9. Steven "shorty" Cager - Hopkinsville

10. Ahmad Price - fern creek

11. Danny butt - southwestern

12. Trey hill - prp

13. Jaylen Johnson - Hopkinsville

14. Jarius key- Bowling Green

15. Clint Wickliffe - Fern Creek

 

Got a chance to see some head to head match ups with jaylen Johnson and stephon Franklin and which Franklin won also Franklin vs Price and which Franklin won and Wyatt battaile is a complete player works hard and can finish with the best

Agreed this is a very talented group and hard to whittle down to 10.

 

One point of order, Rodriguez Thomas is 2019.

 

Is he? Ok.... Not sure how I missed that?

I only saw him Penny play twice and he was held in check and frustrated by South Oldham playing a triangle and 2 against him in the Regional finals. With that I believe that Devin Young from South Oldham, 6'4" swing who is long and a very smooth shooter, will draw some attention over the next few years and may deserve some consideration. He also plays for the Louisville Lightning AAU team.

I remember that too, on Penny. I also remember this years regional Simi-final against Oldham where he just flat took over that game. It may be that he's just too inconsistent to be considered among the states best in his class, but when he is in a groove, watch out! would agree with the statement about Devin Young. He is going to garner a lot more attention going forward!

Top 15

1. Trevor Faulkner - mercer county

2. Steven Fitzgerald - southwestern

3. Andrew Taylor - Corbin

4. JJ Reed - Paducah Tilghman

5. Wyatt Battaile - Pikeville

6. Mickey Pearson - John Hardin

7. Justin Mitchell - Henry clay

8. Stephon Franklin - Louisville Doss

9. Steven "shorty" Cager - Hopkinsville

10. Ahmad Price - fern creek

11. Danny butt - southwestern

12. Trey hill - prp

13. Jaylen Johnson - Hopkinsville

14. Jarius key- Bowling Green

15. Clint Wickliffe - Fern Creek

 

Got a chance to see some head to head match ups with jaylen Johnson and stephon Franklin and which Franklin won also Franklin vs Price and which Franklin won and Wyatt battaile is a complete player works hard and can finish with the best

 

I agree Franklin is under rated and could easily be considered a Top 15 2018 player. He played really good in post season for Doss. But if you have him 8th and leave off Fern Creek PG Anthony Wales from the Top 15 then you are at odds with the 6th Region Coaches. Wales was a 1st team 6th Region player voted on by the Coaches and that was after missing many games towards the end of the season and post season due to injury. He was the only sophomore that was 1st team All Region in either the 6th or 7th regions that are arguably could be considered two of the best regions year in and year out. I think they both are two PGs that have great upside still and will be playing D1 college basketball and would have them both in the Top 15. I think someone said it best...deep class that has little difference between the Top 4-15 kids. 1-3 in my mind are a bit above the rest with Faulkner, Taylor, and Fitzgerald being the gems of the class right now. This is always fluid, kids get better and others stop getting better. Great class.

6'3" Benson Lin - Wesley Christian - High Interest from Rice, Wake Forest, UAB, Missouri, Recently selected and played in Jordan Brand Classic International game

6'10" Christian Lorng - Wesley Christian - Offer from UAB, High Interest from Wake Forest, Missouri, Austin Peay, Virginia Tech

I will be honest I have only seen about 5 of the kids play other than Kunkel that have made the lists, plus I am a little partial, but after watching him this spring there is no way he can't be on top 10-12 lists for would be juniors in the state. The kid gets over shadowed a little bit by Sean McNeil but watching him in AAU he has been nothing short of spectacular! Again, have not seen all of the students play that are on this list so I can't say where I would rank him. But I am taking a guess that he should sit around the 7-10 range.

Penny can play. It wasn't tri and 2 that held him in check but extended 2 3 and him being worn out. If I am not mistaken, he dropped 30 on south the first time they played.

  • Author
6'3" Benson Lin - Wesley Christian - High Interest from Rice, Wake Forest, UAB, Missouri, Recently selected and played in Jordan Brand Classic International game

6'10" Christian Lorng - Wesley Christian - Offer from UAB, High Interest from Wake Forest, Missouri, Austin Peay, Virginia Tech

 

Hard to rank these kids as they don't play Kentucky competition. Would be interested to see what happened if KHSAA allowed them to compete in KHSAA games.

Agree that Skylar Potter, 6'3', wing, Warren Central, is top 10 in the 2018 class. That's an easy call. Jarius Key, is a top 10 athlete but doesn't have the skill set for a top 15 ranking. Stephon Franklin is top 15 but needs to make conditioning a top priority to move up.

If there is a 2018 list of top players then Jay Scrugg (Trinity) and Curt Lewis (Valley) def need to be on it.

 

I've watched both of these guys play this summer and they are both def top 10 players in this class.

 

Jay 6'5 lefty that does absolutely everything he wants on the court. Shoots it at a high level. Scores at a high level and runs the floor and jumps out the gym.

 

Curt 6'4 PG super freak athlete. Jumps out the gym and passes his butt off and gets to the hole whenever. He also can rebound like a 6'10 guy and finishes well.

 

Jay transferred from Central his freshman year and had to sit out his sophomore year. Look for him to add impact to an already loaded trinity team.

 

Curt started freshman and sophomore year at Valley and was the main reason for the surprising success they had. He was 2nd team all 6th region and according to pure prospects his interests include Xavier, Georgia state, EKU WKU, NKU, Evansville & Ohio

 

These are both top D1 talents and word around Louisville is Jay is pro potential.

Curt Lewis is an absolute stud on the court I agree her has all the tools to get it done needs a Lil bit more work ethic and also needs to be way more verbal but this generation I haven't seen that I totally agree with Curt Lewis he slipped my mind. As for the Scruggs kid haven't seen him play but I hear he's real deal

Trey Hill picked up an offer from VCU.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.