Calipari's unique program!

THE SHERIFF

What is "traditional" UK basketball?

Define traditional UK basketball? I thought the tradition of Kentucky basketball was winning? That's what he's been doing.

Calipari coming to Kentucky is the most exciting times of Kentucky basketball over a 7 year period than any other time in the past 30 years (I'd imagine further, but I can't say if I wasn't alive).

"Where's Richie?"

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define traditional UK basketball? I thought the tradition of Kentucky basketball was winning? That's what he's been doing.

Calipari coming to Kentucky is the most exciting times of Kentucky basketball over a 7 year period than any other time in the past 30 years (I'd imagine further, but I can't say if I wasn't alive).

91 to 99 rivals it

The fan base seems to be energized a much as I've ever seen at UK. We're lucky to live in an area where two fan bases support their programs so fanatically. Makes for a great rivalry. I think the committee was right to keep UK out of Louisville. Would have been rewarding this team too much.

This fan deserves more than just taking McDonald's All Americans every year and not hanging banners.....taking all the fun away from traditional UK basketball

This is the first time UK basketball had been relevant since really the 1998 title. I personally like this a lot better myself. I do miss getting to know the players a lot better like we did with the unforgettable's and players like Mashburn, Anderson, Walker, Mercer, EPP's, Delk. But I love UK being the talk of the college basketball world every year now as it should be. I'll take that all day every day!

Been there 6 yrs and has one title!!! No longer a college bb team.......now a developmental league for NBA.......sick of it!!

And they had 0 titles and 0 Final 4 appearances the previous 12 years before his arrival.

This fan deserves more than just taking McDonald's All Americans every year and not hanging banners.....taking all the fun away from traditional UK basketball

So question what do you think of Tom Izzo? He doesn't have all these one and done's and a developmental NBA league as you said. Would you consider him one of the best basketball coaches in the country? I would assume you would if you have any knowledge of college basketball. Do you know how many final fours he has? Now out of those final fours do you know how many titles he has actually won? Just one. Which that has came now over an 18 year career at Michigan State? Would you be happy with that, since you have a problem with only one title in 6 years? His traditional way as you put it, sure doesn't seem to have made them win more titles.

So not sure how your argument of having 3 and 4 year guys and making final fours, make it better than some one and one guys who make final fours. At the end of the day the result you want is final four and titles and doesn't matter if its one and done guys or 3 and 4 year guys. So what is your point? It can't be much because it is a very weak point obviously.

I am going to be very bummed when he decides to leave, but thankful for what he's done for our program. Some of my favorite times are watching the Cats with my friends, fiance, and or family.

I'm sure many of us would like to have at least 1-2 more titles, but at the end of the day, I just want a fun team to watch and a team that is in the conversation every single year. That's pretty much exactly what we have with Calipari. Sure has been a fun ride and I hope it continues for as long as possible.

This!

So question what do you think of Tom Izzo? He doesn't have all these one and done's and a developmental NBA league as you said. Would you consider him one of the best basketball coaches in the country? I would assume you would if you have any knowledge of college basketball. Do you know how many final fours he has? Now out of those final fours do you know how many titles he has actually won? Just one. Which that has came now over an 18 year career at Michigan State? Would you be happy with that, since you have a problem with only one title in 6 years? His traditional way as you put it, sure doesn't seem to have made them win more titles.

So not sure how your argument of having 3 and 4 year guys and making final fours, make it better than some one and one guys who make final fours. At the end of the day the result you want is final four and titles and doesn't matter if its one and done guys or 3 and 4 year guys. So what is your point? It can't be much because it is a very weak point obviously.

Great post @futurecoach. I am a huge Tom Izzo fan. I've heard from numerous people that he's just as great of a person off the court as he is a coach. Have a ton of respect for him. But with saying all that, I still get a chuckle when people act like he's some tournament wizard. Don't get me wrong, he does a great job, but he hasn't been as good as Cal has in the last ten years.

I love what coach Cal has done with the program we are in the title conversation every year and also are in the top 5 in recruiting every so that isn't a secret. But for those who don't like the one and dons or the 2 and outs approach I wouldn't blame Cal I blame college basketball and its rules/system whatever you want to call it. They allow you to leave after one year and lets face everyone is wanting these players and if you don't think so then you must live in another world. I for one would love the rule to have them stay for 2 or more years just, think about we would have had John Wall, Cousins, Towns, Lyle's and many others for at least another year, talk about winning a few Championships. Let's face a very select few at 18/19 years old being a 1st rounder wouldn't take the money and leave college and I am sure Cal would love to have these guys for more than 1 or 2 years but he helps them make the right decision for themselves and their families so lets enjoy him as long as we have him I know I will.