Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region: Is this true?

Featured Replies

  • Author
Absolutely. It now has a brand new, multi color green turf, black end zones in which one says Newport, other says Wildcats. It's similar to this, same block N as well. [ATTACH]55138[/ATTACH]

 

WOW! Does Newport have turf nowadays? It had grass back when I played in the early 1970s! That looks awesome if their field is similar!

  • Replies 310
  • Views 43.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOW! Does Newport have turf nowadays? It had grass back when I played in the early 1970s! That looks awesome if their field is similar!

 

The last year for grass was the 2005 season. The next year they had turf installed. Last year the turf was replaced and upgraded to what you see on the Nebraska field. Very nice surface and good looking.

That is great. Ken Shields knew basketball, and he was great with people. He was ahead of his time with fast-paced offenses and half-court traps as a high school coach. St. Thomas was a team you did not want to play back in the day with Coach Shields leading them. I'm glad to hear he is still involved teaching the game!

 

As a kid I used to love his basketball and baseball clinics. He did a great job of covering all the basses, so to speak, in helping us get a true understanding of the game and touching on stuff that maybe the average coach might overlook. To this day there are lots of things in my appreciation and understanding of the game that evolves from Kenny's teachings. He has a great friendly patient way with people, and he has a clever approach.

 

I feel lucky to have a somewhat vague memory of when I was around 10 seeing him coach a game at the old St. Thomas gym. My memory has me sitting in a balcony looking over the court and I recall how exciting it was to watch the players move about methodically during warmups. This would have been around 1974 and St. Thomas at the time were a top team in the region.

Hey, here's an idea. Let's ask the kids where they would like to play.

 

I agree most will say NKU.

9th Region and BB&T has one thing no other Region can claim to have.

 

10399416_1247443328599047_7690349259133754999_n.jpg

 

Worth the price of admission and multiple expensive hot dogs.

  • Author
As a kid I used to love his basketball and baseball clinics. He did a great job of covering all the basses, so to speak, in helping us get a true understanding of the game and touching on stuff that maybe the average coach might overlook. To this day there are lots of things in my appreciation and understanding of the game that evolves from Kenny's teachings. He has a great friendly patient way with people, and he has a clever approach.

 

I feel lucky to have a somewhat vague memory of when I was around 10 seeing him coach a game at the old St. Thomas gym. My memory has me sitting in a balcony looking over the court and I recall how exciting it was to watch the players move about methodically during warmups. This would have been around 1974 and St. Thomas at the time were a top team in the region.

 

Coach Shields always showed up at the Ft. Thomas Armory in those days and was great to talk with about basketball. He coached great players at St. Thomas like Phil Hasson, Carl Hafele, and a guy named Wehage (spelling?) who could jump better than anyone in the 9th Region at that time. I think St. Thomas closed down around 1975 or 1976.

  • Author

Looks like you got the entire crowd at the arena in the background of the pic! lol

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Rule #14

Looks like my elite work here is done! :clap:

Bank of KY was bought by BB&T (National Bank) hence the name change.

 

2008 at Conner the ticket revenue was $40,000. Teams divided 30,000.

 

2014 at NKU arena was $132,000. Schools split $72,000. NCC got a check for $14,400 for two teams advancing deeply. Boone Co that only had 1 team qualify and lost in first round got $2,400.

 

 

This is what i was looking for and after seeing the difference in money they make now I see why they have it there. For the schools and the KHSAA it's a good thing. Just not for me. Sorry to get everyone all riled up. now back to our regularly scheduled programming.:laugh:

Hall of Famer for reason.

 

I remember when he used to referee our games down Covington Turners on Saturday mornings when there was still a White Castle next to Turners. He would stop the games to teach the kids what they were doing wrong and then continue on. Great coach.

I remember when he used to referee our games down Covington Turners on Saturday mornings when there was still a White Castle next to Turners. He would stop the games to teach the kids what they were doing wrong and then continue on. Great coach.

 

I have the same great memories of playing at Turners with Kenny as a referee doing exactly what you've described. He was one of a kind and I just hope that kids today are given this same type of attention and instruction from younger coaches who have learned from Kenny how it's done. He was always a pal like your favorite uncle that made it fun to learn and play.

 

BTW... I will forever miss that White Castle that used to be there. The lot is still there but the restaurant has been sorely missing ever since they tore it down. Great memories of grabbing inexpensive 10 cent white castle hamburgers after games on Saturday mornings. I've no doubt that if it were still there it would be profitable. Makes no sense to me why it closed.

The good old days being in that cold locker room at Turners at 7:30 in the morning during winter freezing your but off waiting for the 8:00 game to start.:D

The good old days being in that cold locker room at Turners at 7:30 in the morning during winter freezing your but off waiting for the 8:00 game to start.:D

 

If my memory is clear one of the locker rooms was not much different than an underground basement cave. Probably the same one you're talking about. I've not been down there since I was a kid, but I have to believe that it's been updated since. I'd love to see it again. When I played it was in the Covington Recreation League. I'm assuming that a similar type league is still going on there and at the Boys Club.

The good old days being in that cold locker room at Turners at 7:30 in the morning during winter freezing your but off waiting for the 8:00 game to start.:D

 

Wow...look what I just found on Youtube

 

...and

 

 

I'm assuming it's different now, but in those days it was not uncommon for spectators to be drinking and smoking. The night time Christmas Tournament games would be packed with thick smoke in air.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.