9th Region: Is this true?

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 is more than 3. I got ya. But I was unaware that 2 of those schools still existed? :idunno:

Maybe when the BGP Elite clique meets at BGP Headquarters later this month, you can update them about Newport's 2016-17 roster as well. How they gonna be in football?

MMI closed down years ago due to small enrollment. Flaget is a Louisville school that also is gone. Like old St. Thomas High School up your way. Ever hear of St. Thomas, or you too young?

Of course I've heard of St Thomas but it was gone before my time.

Of course I've heard of St Thomas but it was gone before my time.

On a serious note, I thought St. Thomas back in my day would eventually win a state title one day because they had the best high school coach I ever spoke with, Ken Shields. He had St. Thomas on a roll, great players, despite being such a small school. Then they closed down, and Coach Shields ended up at Highlands. Great guy and great coach!

On a serious note, I thought St. Thomas back in my day would eventually win a state title one day because they had the best high school coach I ever spoke with, Ken Shields. He had St. Thomas on a roll, great players, despite being such a small school. Then they closed down, and Coach Shields ended up at Highlands. Great guy and great coach!

Hall of Famer for reason.

I'm glad to hear it. I follow their scores and hated to see what happened up there this season in football and basketball. Glad to see their girls upset NewCath though!

Last year they had a new coach which came in late. Whole new offense to learn. Lots of freshman and sophomores. But only had about 25 kids to battle with. Not exactly a recipe for a state title but they should be much better this year.

Last year they had a new coach which came in late. Whole new offense to learn. Lots of freshman and sophomores. But only had about 25 kids to battle with. Not exactly a recipe for a state title but they should be much better this year.

I always loved that football field at Newport. It was next to a baseball complex, down in a valley. They still play there?

Yes he is. I thought he would become the all time winning high school coach at Highlands, but he left for a college job. Does he still coach anything up there?

Great guy.

I could be wrong, but I think that he still might be involved with basketball clinics for kids.

Great guy.

I could be wrong, but I think that he still might be involved with basketball clinics for kids.

That is great. Ken Shields knew basketball, and he was great with people. He was ahead of his time with fast-paced offenses and half-court traps as a high school coach. St. Thomas was a team you did not want to play back in the day with Coach Shields leading them. I'm glad to hear he is still involved teaching the game!

I always loved that football field at Newport. It was next to a baseball complex, down in a valley. They still play there?

Absolutely. It now has a brand new, multi color green turf, black end zones in which one says Newport, other says Wildcats. It's similar to this, same block N as well. Nebraska field.jpg

My goodness. This thread is sad. Talk about a bunch of whining babies. The arena is not there to give handouts to people. They have to staff the arena and the concessions. The arena exists not to cater to fans, but to turn a profit. You don't like concession prices? Don't buy anything. You don't like ticket prices? Don't go to the game. You don't want to pay to park? Park in a lot that requires more than a 2 minute walk and there's no charge.

You all act like because it's HS basketball everything should just be given away.

Whining babies? I see people expressing their opinion. Didn't see anyone asking for anything to be giving away.

Profit? Difference between profit and just plain screwing people! The arena is not there to cater to the fans? Your out of your mind! Don't cater to the fans and see how long you last.... Like I said before, price things reasonable and sell 500% more... And get more people to come thru the doors to start with. Trust me I understand profits and staffing and overhead. Far as the arena itself, love it.