Huntington, WV overdoses

JDEaston

Wish they would have went a little into detail' date=' such as what are they ODing on? Age percentage of those ODing? And what areas are the worse? Such as, Marshall is there, how many were students?[/quote']

Most of the time it's heroin.

Read Dreamland by Quinones. It is a report on the history of opiate addiction in the US and the spread of black tar heroine. You will hate insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, and their sales people in addition to Mexicans from Nayarit. Excellently written

I just don't get why anyone would try cocaine or heroin the first time...I will never get this.

With all the news out there about how it destroys people's lives and yet people still do it. Just insane to me. But then I never get why young people start smoking now either...

WV needs to follow the footprint in KY where they've gained some momentum and developed a treatment initiative without prejudice for those willing to take the first step towards treatment. But, WV sucks from top to bottom and I can say that without reservation having practiced in that place for 16+ years. The drug problems when I started were a direct pipeline from the pill highway that started in Florida. I had a patient who had no problem telling me that he made nearly 8K a month simply running the drugs from a supplier in Fort Lauderdale to his connection in Huntington. Then as that faded, it became a problem similarly ran from Detroit, however, this time it was actually the folks from Detroit making the trips themselves. I saw several of them on emergency basis and no joke, I had one kid pay me cash all in 5 dollar bills from his crack proceeds. And now, like most areas of the country, they can get more bang for their buck from heroin. However, from what I gather, there seems to be less of a safety blanket there with a shorter supply of Narcan to combat the overdoses in beautiful downtown Huntington. Perhaps @Ram or @LRCW can speak more to that part than I can, but I suspect the problem will get worse before it ever gets better there. Again, for more reasons than that but not withstanding, I'm glad I'm gone. Of course, southern Indiana is about on the same par.

I just don't get why anyone would try cocaine or heroin the first time...I will never get this

I agree, I don't understand why anyone would start, especially heroin.

But, I also wondered why people would take pain meds when they didn't need them. But then I had my shoulder surgery a few weeks ago and needed to take Oxycodone for a couple of days, then I knew, the euphoric high you felt. I can see how easy it would be to get hooked if you are not careful. And they say that the effects are similar to heroin, so I guess that you want to go the next step, to get higher, and if I'm not mistaken heroin is a lot cheeper.

WV needs to follow the footprint in KY where they've gained some momentum and developed a treatment initiative without prejudice for those willing to take the first step towards treatment. But, WV sucks from top to bottom and I can say that without reservation having practiced in that place for 16+ years. The drug problems when I started were a direct pipeline from the pill highway that started in Florida. I had a patient who had no problem telling me that he made nearly 8K a month simply running the drugs from a supplier in Fort Lauderdale to his connection in Huntington. Then as that faded, it became a problem similarly ran from Detroit, however, this time it was actually the folks from Detroit making the trips themselves. I saw several of them on emergency basis and no joke, I had one kid pay me cash all in 5 dollar bills from his crack proceeds. And now, like most areas of the country, they can get more bang for their buck from heroin. However, from what I gather, there seems to be less of a safety blanket there with a shorter supply of Narcan to combat the overdoses in beautiful downtown Huntington. Perhaps @Ram or @LRCW can speak more to that part than I can, but I suspect the problem will get worse before it ever gets better there. Again, for more reasons than that but not withstanding, I'm glad I'm gone. Of course, southern Indiana is about on the same par.

I think, with the resurrection of Heroin as the drug of choice (or opportunity), many think Narcan is a fix all and take it for granted that they won't die from overdose. This is one of the reasons I was strongly against everyone in America having access to Narcan. The other reasons being: 1. Narcan should not be given to everyone that has taken drugs, 2. it should be titrated to the patient not a standard dose for everyone, 3. many people become violent after receiving Narcan. It should have been foreseeable that there would be a shortage of Narcan after it was sold and given to everyone.

As for the high number of deaths in Cabell County due to overdose, even though the prescription drug problem was bad, the users were getting a set dose of the drug and it was more reliable to abuse. When they began using Heroin, the dosage is not reliable at all and many don't know how much they are taking, depending on the manufacture. Plus, Heroin is commonly laced with other drugs to eight cut it, or to give a cheap potency. I have seen Heroin laced with Atropine (a cardiac drug), Benadryl, Black Tar Heroin (a cheap version of heroin) and a few other things over the years. This just adds to the volatility of the drug and the users are normally unaware of the added ingredients making them more susceptible to overdose.

Read Dreamland by Quinones. It is a report on the history of opiate addiction in the US and the spread of black tar heroine. You will hate insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, and their sales people in addition to Mexicans from Nayarit. Excellently written

As if we didn't already.:thumb:

Had a meeting with a prospective tenant to show him an apartment back in 2006. He was looking to be closer to his kids after his wife and him had divorced. He had a job that met his needs and would more importantly pay his rent. He was a star tenant for a year until.......

A neighbor informed me of an "unusual amount" of traffic visiting the apartment at the beginning of the month. Come to find out he was dealing pain pills out of the apartment. So I took it upon myself to pay a visit after not receiving his rent and when he let me in I was able to see the destruction a drug like heroin can do.

In less than 3 months a comfortable apartment had turned into a hell hole...lets just say he wasn't cooking creme brulee when I saw his paraphanelia sitting by an air mattress bed. He had to sell most of his furniture to feed his heroine addiction. Lost his job and visitations with his three kids.

I had to evict him and I learned within the year he had overdosed on a "bad batch" of heroine.....is there ever a good batch folks?

What did I learn from this? I learned a lot about the conditions of despair, anger, frustration.....this seemed to be a common theme with his emotions. Rather than seek peace with his kids, or God, or a support group, he had been introduced to pain pills after a motorcycle accident....and the enemy just kept chipping away at what he loved until the needle won! I've come to the conclusion that this battle will be won by literally good vs. evil, love vs. hate. I've shared this before and I'll share it again.

The majority of heroin addicts who are able to overcome long term do so with the help of drugs that ween them off heroin and a spiritually centered 12 step program. At the end of the day folks run from pain killers and seek a higher spiritual power. Celebrate and lead folks to hope and love. I'm amazed by the few triggers that have ended lives due to no hope or love!

I'm off my soapbox....just tired of folks sharing conditions but not understanding the source and how to take preventive measures to avoid addiction.

* A Tylenol 500 or 3 ibruprofens might be a better fit for pain vs. ...................!