Too much football?

DevilMayCare

Well I suppose this could be used as a way to argue that the first round of the playoffs should be eliminated in the present six class format. You could possibly lose a regular season game as well, thereby getting that down to 13 games maximum within the state, but revenue would go down from those missed games in some capacity.

High school isn't so much the problem, because at most schools there are competent coaches.

The problems really goes to youth leagues and middle school.

2-3 games a week at the middle school level is in no way, shape, or form safe, nor is playing a 13-17 game season at the middle school level. Add in FBU and "all-star" football teams that run into December.......not good.

High school isn't so much the problem, because at most schools there are competent coaches.

The problems really goes to youth leagues and middle school.

2-3 games a week at the middle school level is in no way, shape, or form safe, nor is playing a 13-17 game season at the middle school level. Add in FBU and "all-star" football teams that run into December.......not good.

I would agree. The number of games some youth leagues play is astounding. I understand finances drive some of it, but 5-10 year old kids playing multiple games in a week, or even sometimes back to back days on the weekend is just too much. And when you see how some of these teams practice, with live contact/tackling drills almost every day, I can understand why some kids leave football.

Because of more emphasis being put on the forward pass and uptempo offenses, I think that HS QTRS should be taken to 10 minutes. That's a difference of 8 minutes per game, which over a 10 game season drops 80 minutes off the season.

Because of more emphasis being put on the forward pass and uptempo offenses, I think that HS QTRS should be taken to 10 minutes. That's a difference of 8 minutes per game, which over a 10 game season drops 80 minutes off the season.

Would be a terrible idea, look at the possessions teams get in JV games. If you get behind you may as well head to the bus because you are not coming back in a game, I wish the quarters were longer if anything.

Would be a terrible idea, look at the possessions teams get in JV games. If you get behind you may as well head to the bus because you are not coming back in a game, I wish the quarters were longer if anything.

Don't get behind by that much...

I saw a game this year where there were over 200 plays ran in a regulation HS football game. It was also by 2 small schools who had multiple kids playing both ways. 150 plays in a HS football game for any player is too much IMO.

I also saw JV games go 150 plays and last 2.5 hours with 10 minute QTRS. They need to be reduced as well.

Spin it however you want. Without organized sports most kids would not get any exercise at all. An average football play lasts about 10 seconds from snap to whistle. An average game may have 60 offensive or defensive plays. That's 120 if you play both ways x10 seconds = 1200 seconds or 20 minutes over a 2 1/2 hour game once a week. If your team is fortunate enough to play 15 games that comes out to a grand total of 5 hours of playing in a 4 1/2 month season if you play both ways every play.

Of course there's the hours and hours of practice. All that exercise when they could be home playing Xbox 1.

I say way too much baseball and basketball too

The wear and tear on the same muscles, tendons, ligaments cant be good for the young kids.

No arguments for me for those sports either, although, much of the overuse damage I think comes from the leagues kids play in outside of school, which is even less regulated. Summer/fall baseball and AAU basketball schedules make high school schedules look small.

I also saw JV games go 150 plays and last 2.5 hours with 10 minute QTRS. They need to be reduced as well.

Are you tracking these plays? I have a hard time believing that JV teams are going faster than Clemson, Auburn and almost at the same warp speed as Oregon but doing it at 10 minute quarters... seems simply mind boggling considering Oregon is only averaging 78.4 plays, Clemson at 80, and Auburn at 70 of offense a game in 15 minute quarters. I just don't see how jv teams are going 150 plays in 8-10 minute quarters, when we have the most brilliant up tempo minds averaging less plays per minute than JV teams

I use to be for 15 games like some of the coaches in this article.

But, after what @gchs_uk9 posted about some of the Mid-Atlantic states (Delaware) and Northeastern states (CT, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, etc) playing 12-13 games (max) & all teams being guaranteed Thanksgiving Day/Weekend game (and, 10 games or so I thought I read) in the different formats, state championships being played the 1st weekend in December like we do, practice not starting until August , the season not kicking off until Labor Day weekend OR the weekend after (still good enough for College and NFL, what a crazy thought) and now this to help keep this game around for years to come?

Massachusetts has 6 classes correct? Adopt theirs and let's bust it.

Are you tracking these plays? I have a hard time believing that JV teams are going faster than Clemson, Auburn and almost at the same warp speed as Oregon but doing it at 10 minute quarters... seems simply mind boggling considering Oregon is only averaging 78.4 plays, Clemson at 80, and Auburn at 70 of offense a game in 15 minute quarters. I just don't see how jv teams are going 150 plays in 8-10 minute quarters, when we have the most brilliant up tempo minds averaging less plays per minute than JV teams

I have never seen 150 plays in game = 75 offensive plays per team... There are special teams plays also!

If you have a 10 minute QTR JV game and have a score of lets say 42-28 (high scoring) there will be 150 + plays ran because of all the clock stoppages...The score I just posted would have 10 or so untimed downs.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when the ball goes out of bounds in college, the clock starts back (except last 2 minutes of half) when the ball is whistled in play...This does not happen in HS. That's a big deal...