July 20, 200620 yr Ahem...4-3 7 games and extra innings to decide the season series with the BEST NL team. That's the same Reds team you called a pretender, right???
July 20, 200620 yr Apples and oranges. This trade was done for THIS season to get them to the playoffs. My point exactly. :thumb: Final note on Clayton. Plain & simple, we already had Castro, who you admit is just as good defensively as Clayton, which makes Clayton's acquisition irrelevant. No arguement that you win with pitching/defense. Yet, a pickup of the Wickman's and Everyday Eddie's of the world is easier to digest than giving up on someone like Austin Kearns and a former All-Star (who's star is dimming) in Felipe Lopez for 2 relievers and something we already had. Something we already had refers to Clayton.
July 20, 200620 yr When you factor in that this trade was about money the Reds came out pretty good. That's what I thought last week, especially when I thought the Reds would spend the money on pitching NOW. Yet, Marty says on the banana phone last night that he believes the Reds are done dealing in terms of major moves. When I heard that, I thought, we were taken. I'm tired of hearing the "move money for next year stuff". Don't we lead the Wildcard now? Just behind St. Louis now? Why not win now?
July 20, 200620 yr Why not win now? What makes you believe that Kearns and Felipe were more important in making the WC? Were they working with Jose Canseco in learning how to throw a knuckleball???
July 20, 200620 yr What makes you believe that Kearns and Felipe were more important in making the WC? Were they working with Jose Canseco in learning how to throw a knuckleball??? If we make the World Series because the bullpens holds the lead and Clayton makes the game saving catch falling over backwards into left field to rob a blooper from the bat of Albert Pujols then I'm wrong, rent a skywriter and post it up. I think the trade works if we use the money "floating free" now that Kearns/Lopez are gone to get another starting pitcher. If we don't, we're sunk. No playoff contender rides into the postseason with a starting rotation anchored by Ramirez, Mays, Claussen, (Wilson if he survives triple A hitters tonight). The Mets bring up Pelphrey to help them. A young power pitcher. Let's bring up Homer - There I said it!!! :ylsuper:
July 20, 200620 yr I was making a point not comparing. 2 games dude, 2 games, good grief! Stark is complaining about their current performance. You replied that Bonderman et al struggled and were still allowed to pitch and now are good pitchers. What exactly was the point that I missed?
July 20, 200620 yr Like I posted earlier, Majewski should have been out of the inning. Denorfia just blew it in the field. I was at the game today and majewski threw well. Denorfia made a horrible play calling off Phillips. too many blown opportunities by the hitters today. I have defended Jr for a long time but what irks me is he never even showed up in the dugout till the 8th inning. I think that is a lack of leadership from your so-called star player.
July 20, 200620 yr Well somebody gets clutch two out hits today. That's one of the reasons why the Mets are running away with the Eastern Division. At least I'll get a save from Wagner out of this one. All the Reds had to do today was hit a fly ball. They had guys on third with less than two outs at least twice. Aurilia cost us a run by not breaking on contact in the one inning.
July 21, 200620 yr I was at the game today and majewski threw well. Denorfia made a horrible play calling off Phillips. too many blown opportunities by the hitters today. I have defended Jr for a long time but what irks me is he never even showed up in the dugout till the 8th inning. I think that is a lack of leadership from your so-called star player. Didn't Jr. fall at the warning track, awkwardly, Wed night? I hope, hope, hope, that we are not seeing the beginning of one of those day-to-day injuries.
July 21, 200620 yr I was at the game today and majewski threw well. Denorfia made a horrible play calling off Phillips. too many blown opportunities by the hitters today. I have defended Jr for a long time but what irks me is he never even showed up in the dugout till the 8th inning. I think that is a lack of leadership from your so-called star player. Do you show up to work on your days off? jk...I bet he was working in the cage trying to get out of his current slump or possibly receiving treatment for whatever he "tweaked" the other night.
July 21, 200620 yr Do you show up to work on your days off? jk...I bet he was working in the cage trying to get out of his current slump or possibly receiving treatment for whatever he "tweaked" the other night. Every other player was in the dugout supporting his teammates.
July 21, 200620 yr Every other player was in the dugout supporting his teammates. You may be correct but I seriously doubt everyone was out there the entire game. I mean, you can't play a one man game of ping pong.
July 21, 200620 yr If we make the World Series because the bullpens holds the lead and Clayton makes the game saving catch falling over backwards into left field to rob a blooper from the bat of Albert Pujols then I'm wrong, rent a skywriter and post it up. I think the trade works if we use the money "floating free" now that Kearns/Lopez are gone to get another starting pitcher. If we don't, we're sunk. No playoff contender rides into the postseason with a starting rotation anchored by Ramirez, Mays, Claussen, (Wilson if he survives triple A hitters tonight). The Mets bring up Pelphrey to help them. A young power pitcher. Let's bring up Homer - There I said it!!! :ylsuper: The anchors of the Reds rotation is Harang and Arroyo and if the GM is reading this please don't rush Homer Bailey. BTW, the Reds are 5 and 2 since the trade.
July 21, 200620 yr Owner Bob Castellini has maintained from the winter day he purchased the team that he wouldn't hesitate to add payroll if a pennant chase would prosper from it. His general manager has made a major trade, but it didn't add payroll. Why, then - other than the fact that the Reds are somewhat short on young lions to offer up - is it unreasonable for Cincinnati to make a run at one of the big-timers who might be available because their contracts are set to expire at the end of the season? Somebody like Baltimore shortstop Miguel Tejada. Or better yet, Oakland pitcher Barry Zito. It would cost the Reds about $4 million to rent Zito for the final months of the season. He would immediately put their starting rotation on a par with any in the league. http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060721/SPT05/607210333/1027 That's what makes this "major trade" work. Thank you Mr. Wheeler for proving my point. Yes, I'm not happy with the recent performance of Majewski and company. Players are streaky and one would love to believe that things will improve given their past performances. But if this is all we get, then forget playing ball in mid October. Bob, use the money to "rent" a pitcher for the pennant push.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.