September 5, 200620 yr Please Reds fans, I ask you to point your attention back in this thread to pages 12 and 13 posts #585 to #614 where a certain baseball genius wanted the exact opposite when Arroyo was still considered our ace. Yank him with very few pitches thrown and called yours truly Ms. Cleo stating that I could see that the pen would definitely get folks out. Arguing in circles I say! If you do go back and look, you'll see it's an entirely different argument. My stance there was that with Glavine on the hill and throwing as well as he was you go for a run whenever you can get it. Apples and anchovies...
September 5, 200620 yr I don't have a problem with Baseball Guy leaving in Harang. He's still not a great game manager and, as I recently posted (with no rebuttals) that he has done nothing this year to help this team win games. He's average at best , makes claims that are not supported by what we see, and should not be here much longer if the Reds want to take the next step.
September 5, 200620 yr If you do go back and look, you'll see it's an entirely different argument. My stance there was that with Glavine on the hill and throwing as well as he was you go for a run whenever you can get it. Apples and anchovies... Only apples and anchovies when you have made the argument. You can't demand a call to the pen then and lambaste it now. Why then do we have a pen? If Jerry thought Harang was his best option, fine. Back on page 13, he thought Arroyo was. Your stance is not the same however.
September 5, 200620 yr I don't have a problem with Baseball Guy leaving in Harang. He's still not a great game manager and, as I recently posted (with no rebuttals) that he has done nothing this year to help this team win games. He's average at best , makes claims that are not supported by what we see, and should not be here much longer if the Reds want to take the next step. I respect your sports knowledge, as much as anyone BUT....could the Reds actually be much better than they currently are (a near .500 team) with the current talent they have. Starting pitching is below MLB standards..... No closer..... Not a true leadoff man..... Overall lack of team speed..... Like I indicated before, I think Narron has done a good job and another manager, couldn't have gotten more out of this group.
September 5, 200620 yr Only apples and anchovies when you have made the argument. You can't demand a call to the pen then and lambaste it now. Why then do we have a pen? If Jerry thought Harang was his best option, fine. Back on page 13, he thought Arroyo was. Your stance is not the same however. Please go back and read again. It was not a matter of how Arroyo was pitching that afternoon. It was a bases loaded and 2 out chance to get at a guy that was throwing at the top of his game. It wasn't a demand to the pen, it was wanting to get runs in a game that they were hard to come by. Again. Apples and anchovies...
September 5, 200620 yr I respect your sports knowledge, as much as anyone BUT....could the Reds actually be much better than they currently are (a near .500 team) with the current talent they have. Starting pitching is below MLB standards..... No closer..... Not a true leadoff man..... Overall lack of team speed..... Like I indicated before, I think Narron has done a good job and another manager, couldn't have gotten more out of this group. My point is that Jerry Narron is getting credit for this team being where their talent would normally put them AND that the league is so poor that the Reds are somehow still in the playoff race. I'll assume the Cards are not going to be happy with their season and they will go out and get better. The Reds need a manager who can help them win games they shouldn't and be a leader(as in "I make the lineup - not my players.") Jerry has shown that he's average. As GT likes to constantly say "nothing more, nothing less." Bob C. is not looking for "average" , thus, Jerry has a short life in Cincy.
September 5, 200620 yr Please go back and read again. It was not a matter of how Arroyo was pitching that afternoon. It was a bases loaded and 2 out chance to get at a guy that was throwing at the top of his game. It wasn't a demand to the pen, it was wanting to get runs in a game that they were hard to come by. Again. Apples and anchovies... So, he pinch hits Castro and strikes out. Same argument as your Cormier argument only in reverse. Either way, I find it hard to defend Narron as you have.
September 5, 200620 yr My point is that Jerry Narron is getting credit for this team being where their talent would normally put them AND that the league is so poor that the Reds are somehow still in the playoff race. I'll assume the Cards are not going to be happy with their season and they will go out and get better. The Reds need a manager who can help them win games they shouldn't and be a leader(as in "I make the lineup - not my players.") Jerry has shown that he's average. As GT likes to constantly say "nothing more, nothing less." Bob C. is not looking for "average" , thus, Jerry has a short life in Cincy. No manager could win, with the starting pitcher core that has stepped on the mound for the Reds....Nobody. The entire NL is mediocre, with the exception of the Mets.
September 5, 200620 yr So, he pinch hits Castro and strikes out. Same argument as your Cormier argument only in reverse. Either way, I find it hard to defend Narron as you have. In the game you went back to, they left 12 on base and lost 4-2. Yesterday they left 11 on base and lost 5-4. If only Narron could hit with RISP...
September 5, 200620 yr No manager could win, with the starting pitcher core that has stepped on the mound for the Reds....Nobody. The entire NL is mediocre, with the exception of the Mets. OK. What has Jerry done this year to make you think he's the right manager for the next few years? If we're simply going to blame it on the pitching, heck, I could be the manager, right? He says he stresses fundamentals yet no one sees it in the Reds play. He struggles making pitching moves(no, not Bonds). He's afraid to drop Griffey down in the order during prolonged slumps. He sat Edwin way too long. He sat one of his hottest hitters and a power threat for 4 out of 9 games and played in his place a .170 hitter and a career pinch-hitter. I have seen nothing to make me think he's "the guy" or that he's any better than the Reds last manager.
September 5, 200620 yr Reds need 7 of the next 8 in order to hang. Will they do it? Not likely, but lets see if they pack it in or make a late push. 2 wins vs. SF, 2(or3) vs Pitt, 2(preferably3) vs. the Pads. If they can end this homestand with a record of 75-71, they still have a shot. I know it's wishful thinking.
September 5, 200620 yr In the game you went back to, they left 12 on base and lost 4-2. Yesterday they left 11 on base and lost 5-4. If only Narron could hit with RISP... Okay
September 5, 200620 yr I know it's wishful thinking. Nothing wrong with that(unless you're wagering hard earned dollars).
September 5, 200620 yr OK. What has Jerry done this year to make you think he's the right manager for the next few years? If we're simply going to blame it on the pitching, heck, I could be the manager, right? He says he stresses fundamentals yet no one sees it in the Reds play. He struggles making pitching moves(no, not Bonds). He's afraid to drop Griffey down in the order during prolonged slumps. He sat Edwin way too long. He sat one of his hottest hitters and a power threat for 4 out of 9 games and played in his place a .170 hitter and a career pinch-hitter. I have seen nothing to make me think he's "the guy" or that he's any better than the Reds last manager. Simple, he has a "below average MLB starting pitching staff", in the middle of the playoff race, which has over 30± new faces from the previous year, with no proven closer and incorporating all the trades....while looking to fill some defensive holes, with role players. The Reds are a team, assembled to win a home and have "over-achieved", in my opinion.
September 5, 200620 yr The Reds are a team, assembled to win a home and have "over-achieved", in my opinion. We obviously disagree.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.