Highlands 44 Covington Catholic 22

Randy Parker

This Birds team is a completely different squad than what I saw the first 5-6:games. Hergott has come into his own and I knew he would. He did not get enough game snaps last yr IMO and has the raw talent but needed Varsity games under his belt. Nick Kendall has gone completely nuts these past few weeks. He is strong and runs like he was shot out of a cannon. Murray and Pulshort compliment him well. The O-Line are pushing people around much better than I saw earlier.

The Defense last night was flying around the fielderly better than any game this year. They were really aggressive and every tackle I saw I noticed 5-6:Birds right there.

JD has been consistent all yr and surpassed 200 Xtra pts last night. Congrats to him and I believe the Enquirer Said he had 2 fumble recoveries. He's a solid leader and his foot is a key weapon as we saw last night. It was only an 8 pt game with 4 min left. You wipe those 3 FG's off the board and it's a totally different game.

Kudos also to the Birds coaching staff. They called a great game offensively and defensively are demanding those kids get to the ball and play more aggressive.

Next week on Orange Friday we should see a great game at DCM.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To that point of out thinking themselves, what was the strategy of showing up 20 minutes before kickoff on Cov. Caths. part?

Literally the busses pulled up in front of the school 20 minutes before kickoff.

Did the same against Beechwood.

Congrats Birds complete game. Kendall has gone off. Usual suspects had great games. I have to agree Hergott played a great game; much his best! A quick shout out to Sammy Taylor. The little engine that could. You have developed in the player that I knew you could become. All you do is make tackles and big time fumble recovery.

I too must give Austin some props and I know I for one have been critical of him this year. Made some really nice passes and take away some drops and he would have had a monster night. He was able to make some connections early when the middle run game was getting stuffed to keep things alive and loosen the defense a little.

Kendell is playing out of his mind lately and even when the going was tough he kept pounding and eventually started wearing the CCH defense out with a lot of help from the line play getting stronger as the game wore down.

Would love to see a couple more touches for Cain, yes I'm biased, but the kid touched the ball twice last night and both went for really nice gains, of the ten td plus variety busting tackles along the way.

Jared Dorherty led the defense last night and his play was contagious. Played possessed and made some big hits. And you can't say enough about his left foot. Just a great game as usual.

I would like to add some non football related notes on last night and the season. The girls who have participated in the singing of the Natuonal Anthem this year have been stellar and I know they change them up some. Whoever they send out there does a wonderful job and always nail it. Kudos to those girls and I'm sure there are more than I that appreciate their performance.

Speaking of that, I have never met the young man but I have the utmost respect for Tyler Robinson and his parents. He appears outside the locker room for the National Anthem every game and shows his respect for our flag and country just a note needing mention. Then proceeds to play like a madman on defense. Nice job Tyler.

The Birds are rolling and are one of four teams left in 5A. As some have mentioned, "standing on the shoulders of the ones before them". Proud of these guys and the effort!!!

Hergot was outstanding. Offensive line gave him plenty of time to throw. Hit every receiver perfectly in stride. If the guys catch the passes he completes every pass he throws in the first half except the one thrown with 5 seconds left in the first half. Nick Kendall went into beast mode in the second half. Totally different team than I saw six weeks ago.

To that point of out thinking themselves, what was the strategy of showing up 20 minutes before kickoff on Cov. Caths. part?

Literally the busses pulled up in front of the school 20 minutes before kickoff.

What they have done lately is warm up at CCH and then drive over right before the game. Seems stupid to me. What if there is a wreck and you get in a traffic jam?

What they have done lately is warm up at CCH and then drive over right before the game. Seems stupid to me. What if there is a wreck and you get in a traffic jam?

So they warm up and then get on a cramped bus and sit? That seems odd. Has Eddie always done that?

I can understand doing that at Beechwood based on the proximity of the two schools, but Highlands is a longer drive and it seems that would work against them. Odd.

So they warm up and then get on a cramped bus and sit? That seems odd. Has Eddie always done that?

Yep. Even if you get there on time with no travel problems, does not make sense to me to warm up and then sit on a bus for 20 minutes tightening up.

Appeared he was really frustrated at how slowly the white hat was setting the ball for play. That is a style thing. 90% of the time, nobody notices, particularly when HHS is on offense. However, when the offense is running clock, it comes up. White hat was definitely deliberate about it. It was a good 2 or 3 counts before he whistled the ball ready for play after it was spotted. That is when the 25 second play clock starts, so the longer it takes him, the more time can be run.