Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Officer Throws Student To the Ground

Featured Replies

Could he have done it in a less violent manner, probably. I do think he could have manipulated her out of that chair without the slamming and throwing

 

This is what those who said that the officer was wrong had an issue with, I don't think anyone said anything about him doing his job, it was the excessive force that he used. It doesn't matter if she refused to leave, the issue is with his excessive use of force, that's the only issue.

 

It will come out soon enough if what we heard about him having a bad reputation is true or not.

  • Replies 453
  • Views 31.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

We all agree the kid is a problem and probably not her first time.

 

The debate is what's appropriate. I THINK we agree that the officer doesn't just have free reign as far as approaches simply because she said no, correct?

  • Author
Any one else notice the rest of the students in the class? They did not move. They either knew she had it coming to her, or didn't want their own smack down.

10 seconds of video (with no audio) did not tell this whole story.

 

Does audio matter? What might have been said that would influence your opinion?

We all agree the kid is a problem and probably not her first time.

 

The debate is what's appropriate. I THINK we agree that the officer doesn't just have free reign as far as approaches simply because she said no, correct?

Question for you then. How do you get an unwilling participant out of the desk? I'd say being flipped like a cheese omelet is one method, but I'm not able to see any of the video here at work, did the officer ask and she refused?

His boss seems to think the actions were excessive:

 

"Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said he'd seen the video and found it "disturbing."

So how do you handle this situation? She has been asked to leave by the teacher and refuses. She has been asked to leave by the officer and refuses. What do you do?

 

Suggestion.

 

Officer and teacher pick up the desk and take it to the hallway with her in it. Then deal with it outside.

  • Author
Question for you then. How do you get an unwilling participant out of the desk? I'd say being flipped like a cheese omelet is one method, but I'm not able to see any of the video here at work, did the officer ask and she refused?

 

I cannot answer that question. I'm guessing the officers go through some sort of training and have protocol for this type of situation. Kid was not violent. Kid was not a threat. She just wouldn't comply.

 

To be fair to the officer no matter what he does it's going to look bad.

I saw the video last night on the local news, but it was short. didn't know if there was more video or audio that confirmed he gave her a command or not to leave the desk.

  • Author
I saw the video last night on the local news, but it was short. didn't know if there was more video or audio that confirmed he gave her a command or not to leave the desk.

 

There is audio. He did instruct her to leave the classroom.

There is audio. He did instruct her to leave the classroom.

Well, she probably should have listened. But I surely see your point. In this instance I don't have a problem with the excessive. I'm sure I'm in the minority.

I cannot answer that question. I'm guessing the officers go through some sort of training and have protocol for this type of situation. Kid was not violent. Kid was not a threat. She just wouldn't comply.

 

To be fair to the officer no matter what he does it's going to look bad.

I agree.

Would a taser be considered less violent in this situation? If that was my kid, I would not have a problem with what the officer did. If my kid was on the couch and I said go to your room and she flat out refused and wouldn't move, you better believe she would end up in her room.

I saw the video last night on the local news, but it was short. didn't know if there was more video or audio that confirmed he gave her a command or not to leave the desk.

 

Teacher told her to leave multiple time and the officer ordered her to leave 4 or 5 times.

I cannot answer that question. I'm guessing the officers go through some sort of training and have protocol for this type of situation. Kid was not violent. Kid was not a threat. She just wouldn't comply.

 

To be fair to the officer no matter what he does it's going to look bad.

He (probably) went too far, but you are correct in that the officer is a no win situation. Assuming the student was being disruptive, she had to be removed. Leaving her was not an option.
He (probably) went too far, but you are correct in that the officer is a no win situation.

 

I guess this is my gripe. Is the purpose of a SRO to discipline students?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.